Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

The Motorsports Electronics Industry

There's been a lot of great response from our posts here, and now that I've become a supporting vendor I thought we would discuss the market a bit. In general, products consist of ECUs, Data Loggers, Video Systems, ABS systems and wiring harnesses. My main goal is to get a conversation going about motorsports electronics and the aftermarket vehicle electronics industry. Historically, there have been 3 players in the business:

1. Manufacturers. Companies like Pectel, MOTEC, GIAC, AEM who sell design, manufacture and sell the products.
    2. Independent Tuners. Guys who get hired to tune cars; they might also do a system installation. These are typically individuals who have learned over time the software tools and techniques for tuning engines or doing data analysis and driver coaching at the race track.
    3. Installers. These are shops who's primary business is to work on cars. The best of them have an electronics expert on staff who handles things in house, some hire independent tuners, and the worst try to pick their way through it with less than spectacular results.

I used to work for a manufacturer and started our company because of the lack of centralized support and service. Our customers are now mostly 2 & 3 while adding the end-users as lots of these guys are plenty smart enough to install and tune on their own with a little bit of guidance.

Our website is www.apexspeedtech.com and our facebook name is apexspeedtech. I'll start posting about some of the BMW projects we've done over the years. Feel free to ask lots of questions about anything electronics related, we are committed to raising the collective intelligence of the enthusiast community with respect to electronics!

-Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    [email protected]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    where does haltech fall in those categories?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just want to officially welcome Neel and Apex. Obviously, you guys know he is wealth of knowledge and having him as a vendor here is a great boost (get it? Click here to enlarge ) for all of us.

You mentioned video systems, do you mean things like a Gopro HD? For recording races/motorsports?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bout time you guys came aboard Click here to enlarge

the shop i worked for falls under the 3rd category...i have an AAS degree in Avionics, and since i couldnt get a job after 9/11 i took up mechanics full time and eventually started doing engine management systems wiring and installing.

I was hired as a mechanic but then since my installs were turning out so good and the customers were really happy i became the haltech person in the shop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    where does haltech fall in those categories?
    Haltech is a manufacturer. I've been speaking with Mike, a part owner and the US distributor, for years. Good guys.

You mentioned video systems, do you mean things like a Gopro HD? For recording races/motorsports?
    We have stayed away from the GoPro as our customers found them bulky and cumbersome. We carry the Replay XD, ChaseCam, Race-Keeper and AIM SmartyCam video products.

For people considering the Go-Pro, I strongly suggest looking a the Replay XD. Its a fully self-contained camera with 110min recording capability, internal rechargeable battery and micro-SD card recording. It costs $189 and is about the size of a roll of quarters. Top level teams in AMA Superbike and Supercross have used them; they're tiny and tough. Check them out here:

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/store/replay-xd

the shop i worked for falls under the 3rd category...i have an AAS degree in Avionics, and since i couldnt get a job after 9/11 i took up mechanics full time and eventually started doing engine management systems wiring and installing.

I was hired as a mechanic but then since my installs were turning out so good and the customers were really happy i became the haltech person in the shop.
    You guys in Long Island? I wish I would have known, I was visiting customers in the Bronx, Brookly & Westchester last Thursday & Friday.

-Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    [email protected]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Welcome and I would love to learn more about those systems. I have lots of questions.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    For people considering the Go-Pro, I strongly suggest looking a the Replay XD. Its a fully self-contained camera with 110min recording capability, internal rechargeable battery and micro-SD card recording. It costs $189 and is about the size of a roll of quarters. Top level teams in AMA Superbike and Supercross have used them; they're tiny and tough. Check them out here: http://www.apexspeedtech.com/store/replay-xd
    Damn, thats pretty nice. i think that just made the list for xmas..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Haltech is a manufacturer. I've been speaking with Mike, a part owner and the US distributor, for years. Good guys.

You guys in Long Island? I wish I would have known, I was visiting customers in the Bronx, Brookly & Westchester last Thursday & Friday.

-Neel
    Yes we are. Actually the shop I worked for doing that work no longer employs me...I am at camber-toe full time now Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For people considering the Go-Pro, I strongly suggest looking a the Replay XD. Its a fully self-contained camera with 110min recording capability, internal rechargeable battery and micro-SD card recording. It costs $189 and is about the size of a roll of quarters. Top level teams in AMA Superbike and Supercross have used them; they're tiny and tough. Check them out here:

Thanks, I was considering the Go Pro for my use. Does the replay do 1080p?

How about the sound on the Replay?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Welcome and I would love to learn more about those systems. I have lots of questions.
    Well ask them Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

We have stayed away from the GoPro as our customers found them bulky and cumbersome. We carry the Replay XD, ChaseCam, Race-Keeper and AIM SmartyCam video products.

-Neel
    I just got one today! It looks great and video quality so far is great. Im gonna use this one for all my secret squirrel stuff though Click here to enlarge Thanks for the link, its gonna come in VERY VERY handy in a lot of situations