Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

What is the better track car? BMW F87 M2 Competition vs. Toyota GR Supra

We already know the laptimes and what car is considered more fun to drive as MotorTrend already released this into in their 2019 Best Driver's Car competition. What we get is a 'new' video directly comparing the BMW F87 M2 Competition and the new Toyota GR Supra.

Click here to enlarge

The F87 M2 Competition is a big step up as it gets the S55 motor from the F80 M3 and F82 M4. Power is easily on the side of the M2 but it also balloons up in weight. Depending on options, it can top 36XX pounds. That is crazy for a 2-Series and essentially M4 weight.

The B58 in the Supra is no slouch but you can only mate it to an 8-speed automatic. The Supra also obviously does not have rear seats. It is lighter by roughly 300 pounds which on the racetrack is significant along with its lower center of gravity.

So which is quicker around Laguna Seca?

Click here to enlarge

The M2 leads most of the way but the Supra comes out on top at the very end just edging the M2. Maybe Randy Pobst went a little wide in the M2?

Either way, it's a driver's race. Both seem quite capable although Randy Pobst chooses the M2 as the Supra is not as much and the electronics seem more intrusive.

If the Supra offered a manual or even DCT option the choice would be tougher here.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know which one looks like a sports car and which one looks like what my mom drives.

FUGLY muffler on the BMW and it just looks...fat and tall compared to the supra.

F the Zupra long live the rear engine corvette for the same price and 100X cooler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I prefer how the Supra looks but the 8-speed auto being the only option is a disappointment. They make a stick in the 440i, so why not offer one for Supra? It's already paired to the B58. I suppose it could be a packaging thing, just seems wrong that the Supra doesn't have a proper performance trans option (DCT or stick, whichever). Agree with Torgus on the looks of the M2...especially in white.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The M2 leads most of the way but the Supra comes out on top at the very end just edging the M2. Maybe Randy Pobst went a little wide in the M2?
    They do multiple laps for this very reason, and then the best one is posted up. I'm sure even being a top professional there are still small errors in every lap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One of the biggest flaws to the C8 vette is the DCT trans. Each unit costs the manufacturer 10k - and not only that forced GM to use expensive parts in the back of the car to balance out all the additional weight. Had most of the engineering team had there way and switched it to the auto (which wasn't ready when they chose to develop the DCT), the car would've been lighter and significantly cheaper. They are also just as fast and smoother - on paper with how they do converters now, there's no reason to use DCT other than bragging rights.

The M2 is the better car if you want to row your own gears, hands down. Nothing is better then that when you want it. It's also the better engine if you want reliability (cooling) for long periods of time on the track

Ignoring that - just look at where the weight is on the two in the picture. It's like comparing Mustang to Corvette. Obviously one is lighter, with more of the weight down lower. That to me makes it significantly better for the driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onurleft Click here to enlarge
    One of the biggest flaws to the C8 vette is the DCT trans. Each unit costs the manufacturer 10k - and not only that forced GM to use expensive parts in the back of the car to balance out all the additional weight.
    Completely wrong.

First of all, they finally got with the times. It only took them until 2020.

Secondly, it's a transaxle design. It is where the weight is that counts and also it doesn't weigh any more than the automatic.

Had most of the engineering team had there way and switched it to the auto (which wasn't ready when they chose to develop the DCT), the car would've been lighter and significantly cheaper.
    Cheaper, yes. Lighter, no.

hey are also just as fast and smoother - on paper with how they do converters now, there's no reason to use DCT other than bragging rights.
    They're closer than ever but after driving both it isn't the same experience. The GM automatic is garbage in my opinion compared to the PDK. No matter what you do it won't match the interaction or shift speed. The auto felt sloppy, the PDK is precise.

Auto would make the C8 better? Please.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Completely wrong.

First of all, they finally got with the times. It only took them until 2020.

Secondly, it's a transaxle design. It is where the weight is that counts and also it doesn't weigh any more than the automatic.

Cheaper, yes. Lighter, no.

They're closer than ever but after driving both it isn't the same experience. The GM automatic is garbage in my opinion compared to the PDK. No matter what you do it won't match the interaction or shift speed. The auto felt sloppy, the PDK is precise.

Auto would make the C8 better? Please.

There you go, completely making stuff up in your head to justify what you want to be right.

My source is an ME Project manager in charge of calibration @ GM, who drove on my Champ Racing team.

It's 50-60lbs heavier,
    The weight sits farther back - hurting the balance of the car.
    It's not compact
    It forced expensive parts on the back of the car they did not need with the 10A to offset the weight and where the weight was
    The 10A was configured to be a trans-axle, just too late
    It's rougher
    It's slower - sorry it is. The 10A is tits.
    Each unit cost is double that of the 10A.
    It upsets the car less on fast shifts, and shifts smoother
    It's not as dynamic in its ability to switch modes.
    It's more clunky and will cause issues in driveability with more than 70% of the people who buy Corvette's who do not want that - That's the real issue
    It requires more service
    It is more likely to fail
    It has more ratios and allows for better gearing
    It allows better fuel mileage

What we are seeing is a drastic change in technology of traditional 'auto-matics' - it's really nothing like anything in the past, except for the ZF8 which is still very good
    Alpha ///N - YouTube: 95CSL
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There you go, completely making stuff up in your head to justify what you want to be right.
    Not sure how I make up driving a Porsche PDK and GM Corvette auto back to back: https://www.boostaddict.com/content....t-Corvette-Z06

My source is an ME Project manager in charge of calibration @ GM, who drove on my Champ Racing team.
    And? That makes the automatic superior somehow?

It's 50-60lbs heavier,
    Based on what? They're very similar: https://www.boostaddict.com/content....tch-but-can-it

The weight sits farther back - hurting the balance of the car.
    It's not compact
    If it's a transaxle design it has to sit further back. Auto or DCT, doesn't matter.

It forced expensive parts on the back of the car they did not need with the 10A to offset the weight and where the weight was
    The 10A was configured to be a trans-axle, just too late
    It's rougher
    It's slower - sorry it is. The 10A is tits.
    The C8 despite being heavier is putting up quicker times than the C7 how? Oh... the DCT.

It's physically impossible for the 10-speed to shift faster as it isn't already in the next gear like a dual clutch is.

Also, where is your proof? You're just talking. Where is anything that shows the shift speed for the auto is quicker because to this date I haven't seen it.

Each unit cost is double that of the 10A.
    It upsets the car less on fast shifts, and shifts smoother
    Good. Enough of GM being cheap.

Shifts smoother how? I certainly felt the PDK shifting more precisely and smoother.

It's not as dynamic in its ability to switch modes.
    I have a DCT from 2008 with literally 11 modes.

It's more clunky and will cause issues in driveability with more than 70% of the people who buy Corvette's who do not want that - That's the real issue
    LOL the automatic logic in the Corvette is terrible. It would do its own thing instead of doing what I wanted it to do.

It requires more service
    It is more likely to fail
    It has more ratios and allows for better gearing
    It allows better fuel mileage
    Requires more service why? Many DCT's are lifetime for the car.

More likely to fail based on what?

More ratios do not mean a car is faster. It certainly will mean plenty of highway ratios for better MPG though. Still, there isn't some magical advantage in the number of gear ratios an automatic has. You can have 10-speed DCT's too.

What we are seeing is a drastic change in technology of traditional 'auto-matics' - it's really nothing like anything in the past, except for the ZF8 which is still very good
    You provided no evidence to support anything you stated and simply said some guy at GM thinks the auto is better so it must be so.

The GT500 and new Corvette are better cars than any Mustang or Corvette previously with an automatic. They finally got with the times and spent some money.