Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Garrett releases G30-900 turbocharger capable of 900+ hp from 76mm compressor wheel - New G30-900, G35-900, and G35-1050 turbochargers

Garrett is making some bold statements here with their three new 'mild frame' G30/G35 turbochargers. You have the G30-900, G35-950, and G33-1050 which Garrett states do not have an equal from the competition at the moment at the moment.

Click here to enlarge

The G30-900 will likely be particularly interesting for BoostAddict readers:

The G30-900 is a 900HP Capable turbocharger developing this power from a 76mm compressor wheel - no turbo manufacturer has anything in their arsenal with this capability or even close to this unless you go 4family sizes larger! The turbine wheel remains the same being 55mm exducer with a 60mm inducer - the direct comparison size for size is the Precision 5862 which makes a mere claimed 700HP - which is nowhere close to the G30-900. The only Precision turbo that can produce the same power output is the 6466 which has three times the lag and twice the physical dimensions and weight!
    On paper it crushes the Precision 6466.

Also to be noted is the physical size is much smaller meaning tight engine bays trying to fit a powerful turbo may have their dream solution here.

G35-900 and G35-1050 details below.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So a...

and a

Supporting that power... Hmm sounds good on paper but that's a lot to ask for such a small turbine exducer and limited a/r options... Especially at increased engine displacement.

Hard pass until proven otherwise.

Even XONA's 68mm is running a 69mm turbine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by q_dubz Click here to enlarge
    Supporting that power... Hmm sounds good on paper but that's a lot to ask for such a small turbine exducer and limited a/r options... Especially at increased engine displacement.

Hard pass until proven otherwise.
    People seem to think the turbine exducer is too small but I mean isn't the idea here that the turbo can support 900 hp in a small package with good spool?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not so sure you would say it crushes a 6466. It flows 10lbs/min less. At the end of the day you are spinning up mass you can't get around that.

At 35psi is flows 80lb/min on the 60% efficiency island and basically on the choke line. You generally dont want to be below 68% or so they say. Not exactly amazing. I would call it a 800 hp turbo as it flows 80/lb min max and you give 10hp per 1 lb of flow/min. So you are comparing a 90lb vs 80 lb turbos.

All of these new garrets are pretty bad ass. You pay for it but they are sweet. The new g25 series would be perfect for a twin turbo n54: https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing...eries-g25-550/

I think their size it what is most impressive and right sized for sooo many applications.

What efficiency island is the 1050 on at 100 lb/min? I'd take a BW 9280 over it any day of the week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I'm not so sure you would say it crushes a 6466.
    In spool and packaging for the output...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    In spool in packaging for the output...
    I will give you that. Their whole new line is 'right sized' in both packaging and output etc. Very efficient.

I think garret is a bit aggressive with their hp ratings as they are above their lb/min max on the compressor maps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The G series literature assumes the engine will net 11hp per pound mass flow, vs all other literature at 10hp per lb. If your comparing "Hp" as your units, the garrets are artificially 10% inflated.. "dynojet" of turbo maps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Reverse rotation, that will make for some nice packaging.
    I want that.
    MILVS- +1mm Increase Intake Valve Lift for N52, N55, S55, N20 Engines
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ift-more-power
    www.bimmerMILVS.com
    Coming soon: B58 + Supra MILVS with +1mm increase intake valve lift

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 3DMetal Click here to enlarge
    The G series literature assumes the engine will net 11hp per pound mass flow, vs all other literature at 10hp per lb. If your comparing "Hp" as your units, the garrets are artificially 10% inflated.. "dynojet" of turbo maps.
    They are probably assuming the increased efficiencies of modern engine technology, but they should stick with the standard calculations for a more realistic comparison.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CobraMarty Click here to enlarge
    Reverse rotation, that will make for some nice packaging.
    I want that.
    Yes, that is an awesome option! Not only will it allow more fitment possibilities, but a left & right Twix turbo looks great on a TT setup. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The compressor wheel on the G35-1050 is blowing my mind on how they make it. Is it 3D printed? It has to be a huge cost increase. I can't imagine them 5axis cutting that 2 tiered blade geometry.

Regardless, it looks awesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by wgknestrick Click here to enlarge
    The compressor wheel on the G35-1050 is blowing my mind on how they make it. Is it 3D printed? It has to be a huge cost increase. I can't imagine them 5axis cutting that 2 tiered blade geometry.

Regardless, it looks awesome.
    Pictures?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

in OP

Edited:

After looking at additional pictures on the internet, it seems it is just an optical illusion caused by the low res image, the machining marks, and the odd camera angle.

Here is the image that is "funny" on the right of the wheel. It looks as if the leading edges are split then rejoin towards the housing inducer

Click here to enlarge

Here is another picture from Sema (looking like a standard wheel design)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    These could be nice on Audi 4.0T to fit in the Vee. Nice and efficient at 62lb/min each and PR > 3.0.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by John@Dyno Spectrum Click here to enlarge
    These could be nice on Audi 4.0T to fit in the Vee. Nice and efficient at 62lb/min each and PR > 3.0.
    I've seen some people mention that. What would they make on that motor in theory? 1800+ can't be realistic?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It seems they are tremendously strong except the PCV, stupid turbo oil screen and rear diff/driveshafts. I think they are remarkably unexplored for crazy power, but given their weight that was perhaps inevitable. Are they as good cylinder for cylinder as the 2.5T? Not sure, probably comes down to the cylinder heads. I think it is a really good bottom end that feels unburstable. For a Brit, we don't have a great choice of turbo V8 with traction in a wet climate in something affordable a 45 year old can feel half sensible in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yeah, I don't now why Garrett changed the 'hp' rating method for turbos. It's all marketing I guess. But honestly, the only thing that really matters is the compressor map. Different types of engines will have different max power limits for a given turbo depending on their volumetric efficiencies. A diesel won't make the same power as a gas engine with the same turbo. Two gas engines, one with high VE and one with low VE and/or different displacements will have different max power levels too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I've seen some people mention that. What would they make on that motor in theory? 1800+ can't be realistic?
    No. 124 lb/min is not going to net 1800 whp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I just picked 62lb/min as a nice efficient point, but the 4.0T would need a fair bit higher rev limit and to breathe well up there as the compressor would not do the PR needed to go much higher.
    Last edited by John@Dyno Spectrum; 12-03-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gotta love turbo tech...just keeps getting better.