Close

View Poll Results: How do you feel about BMW anti-tuning measures?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • They have to protect themselves (and their profits).

8 19.51%
  • They should give their most loyal customers the option of unlocked ECU's with warranty restrictions.

14 34.15%
  • My next car will NOT be a BMW if they keep this up.

19 46.34%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by encinitas Click here to enlarge
    This is a business decision that shows that they don't really care about anyone's satisfaction after that person buys this system - it seems that they figure that having this stance will allow the finances to come out in their favor. Other manufacturers can really clean house with sales if they can bring their product up to a certain level and become more tuner and warranty friendly as well.
    This is the key point I think. They want to sell it, and don't care afterwards. That does not promote customer loyalty. That may be why BMW is trying new financing programs to get greater loyalty as people seem to not be buying repeat BMW's.

Ford is killing them on the tuner friendly product front. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten a GT500, no joke.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    here you go audi b8 s4 been cracked and tuned.

http://sportec.ch/page7496.html

worlds first, http://achtuning.com/videos/another-teaser-from-apr-b8-s4-chip-content/

that just shows that it is possible. you gotta remember, the same ppl that made the ecu "impossible to crack" will be the same ppl to make it possible Click here to enlarge
    LOL, buy one from them and see. Click here to enlarge

There are canbus tuners (MTM, APR, etc) but they aren't making any power and that's not real tuning.

Besides the 3.0 B8s make 400-415HP stock, they are horribly underrated from the factory.

Trust me it hasn't been hacked and the gen II and III SE processors are even worse.

I've been hearing the same lines regarding (the people that make them at night come home and reverse engineer them), in this case and in the future, no they don't. It's not like it used to be. Leaking out encryption keys is step 1 of 100.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BASELINE Click here to enlarge
    Oh....and Sportec has already been tuning the Panamera Turbo as well...and they aren't the only ones. ;-)
    It's called "wind" and no, they aren't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    10 second phone call confirms, they are simply piggybacking it, that's not tuning nor will it produce nearly the same results as a legit remap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Andy, do the dealers/manufacturers need a way to tune/retune these new encrypted cpu lockout processors? What techniques and or software do they use to keep the tunes optimal for stock applications? The theory is if one can tune the processor their has to be a way to retune it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    Andy, do the dealers/manufacturers need a way to tune/retune these new encrypted cpu lockout processors? What techniques and or software do they use to keep the tunes optimal for stock applications? The theory is if one can tune the processor their has to be a way to retune it.
    The amount of people with access to the necessary software to read out and change a file is highly limited. It's an all around crack down, OEMs realize that the only way for the last gen of processors (ala N54 for example) were able to be remapped was due to a subsidiary leaking out the info.

The factory can do whatever it wants, but the key to remember is, even with the encryption keys, we're still not even close--and there are no keys yet.

Bosch has lost a lot of business due to their inability thier info proprietary which is why so many OEMs are switching to Siemens/Continental.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    10 second phone call confirms, they are simply piggybacking it, that's not tuning nor will it produce nearly the same results as a legit remap.
    Piggybacking off the main ecu with a separate box?

So no flash tuning?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Piggybacking off the main ecu with a separate box?

So no flash tuning?
    Sportec, yes correct.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is wrong with just piggybacking new BMW DME's? Doesn't HPF use the AEM system in a piggyback style?? HPF cars don't seem to have any problems making power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adgar Click here to enlarge
    What is wrong with just piggybacking new BMW DME's? Doesn't HPF use the AEM system in a piggyback style?? HPF cars don't seem to have any problems making power.
    The issue is the ability to tune the main ecu. Active can do that, in these applications, it seems the tuners can't access the ECU to change the parameters they want to change.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The issue is the ability to tune the main ecu. Active can do that, in these applications, it seems the tuners can't access the ECU to change the parameters they want to change.
    I would love to know how Active can do it yet others haven't figured it out. BMW Tuning = Black Magic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would love to know how Active can do it yet others haven't figured it out. BMW Tuning = Black Magic.
    There's no black magic to BMW tuning or any other make. There is no BMW processor I can't read/write presently. We're talking about other makes/models.

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Piggybacking isn't remapping. Standalone engine management should/will work, but I don't know of anyone that's done that yet with a Panamera Turbo, etc. That's not the road many owners really want to take, though they may be forced to soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    LOL, buy one from them and see. Click here to enlarge

There are canbus tuners (MTM, APR, etc) but they aren't making any power and that's not real tuning.

Besides the 3.0 B8s make 400-415HP stock, they are horribly underrated from the factory.

Trust me it hasn't been hacked and the gen II and III SE processors are even worse.

I've been hearing the same lines regarding (the people that make them at night come home and reverse engineer them), in this case and in the future, no they don't. It's not like it used to be. Leaking out encryption keys is step 1 of 100.
    Your statement is VERY inaccurate. APR has hacked the B8 S4 Ecu. Infact I am the first one to have it in DSG format. No piggybacks, strait flash. Saw it with my own eyes in Alabama when I went down to their facility. Also should mention that they are doing all flashes in house on the bench (with, or without the car) and therefore aren't hiding some piggyback in the car.

Yes they are under rated but not by as much as you imply. They make 320's at all four stock and 360-370's with a tune. But the power curve above 5K is where the power really is. Just look for yourself on goapr.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brendon1098 Click here to enlarge
    Your statement is VERY inaccurate. APR has hacked the B8 S4 Ecu. Infact I am the first one to have it in DSG format. No piggybacks, strait flash. Saw it with my own eyes in Alabama when I went down to their facility. Also should mention that they are doing all flashes in house on the bench (with, or without the car) and therefore aren't hiding some piggyback in the car.

Yes they are under rated but not by as much as you imply. They make 320's at all four stock and 360-370's with a tune. But the power curve above 5K is where the power really is. Just look for yourself on goapr.com
    What year/month production is your S4?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm voting I care not.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Why not just a compelet OE replacement with the ability to be tuned? Why reflash the stock when you could just replace the whole unit. I mean it will be a huge PITA to make one. And it will have to controll everything else in addition to the motor but none the less if your getting no where with the stock ECU why spend the time and money to hack something when you could just build a new one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ThePoleto Click here to enlarge
    Why not just a compelet OE replacement with the ability to be tuned? Why reflash the stock when you could just replace the whole unit. I mean it will be a huge PITA to make one. And it will have to controll everything else in addition to the motor but none the less if your getting no where with the stock ECU why spend the time and money to hack something when you could just build a new one.
    You are saying complete ECU replacement? As in standalone?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes correct a stand alone replacement. I guess I should have called it that lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ThePoleto Click here to enlarge
    Yes correct a stand alone replacement. I guess I should have called it that lol.
    The reason that standalones are not more prevalent as you lose I-drive and all kinds of other electronic features. There also is no straight answer on compatibility with DCT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where there is will there is a way.Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123