Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Post BMW Announces VED Hybrid Sports Car Production! 328bhp, 4.8 0-62mph, 75.1mpg!

SUMMARY:
    • 2+2 seating configuration
    • Wing Doors
    • 1.24 meters tall (48.8 inches)
    • 0.22 drag coefficient
    • 3 cylinder turbo diesel engine with hybrid synchronous motor at front axle
    • Full hybrid engine at rear axle
    • 241 kW/328 bhp output
    • 0-100km/h (0-62mph) in 4.8 seconds
    • 75.1 MPG fuel consumption
    • CO2 emission rating of 99 grams/km
    • Brake energy regeneration
    • Plug-in hybrid - can be fully charged at a conventional power socket within just two and half hours.
    • Zero-emissions motoring with a range of some 50 kilometers on full charge
    • 24-liter diesel tank extends the total action radius of the vehicle to up to 700 kilometers.
    • Expected production of 5,000-10,000 units.

A vision becomes reality: BMW announces serial production of sports car with plug-in hybrid technology.

* 11/05/2010
    * Press Release

Munich/Leipzig. It was the star of the Frankfurt international motor show IAA in 2009: a four-seater sports car with charismatic design, fascinating performance figures and unsurpassed efficiency, powered by BMW ActiveHybrid technology and presented under the title BMW Vision EfficientDynamics. With its wide range of completely or virtually production-ready components, this concept study met with an overwhelming response. There was a widespread desire to put the car on the road, and the realisation of this desire is moving considerably closer. At the Leipzig trade fair centre BMW is presenting a fully road-ready technology showcase vehicle based on the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept study. This presentation will give media representatives their first ever opportunity to find out what it is like to drive the 2+2-seater car powered by an innovative hybrid system.

The concept study BMW Vision EfficientDynamics represents the future of driving pleasure. Since its world premiere at the IAA 2009 it has received several awards both for its futuristic design and its ground-breaking engine technology. Just 1.24 metres high, the 2+2-seater takes up the characteristic BMW shaping style, geared consistently towards aesthetic appeal and dynamic performance. Wing doors facilitate entry to both rows of seats, while extensive aerodynamic measures reduce the drag coefficient to 0.22. The combination of a 3-cylinder turbo diesel with a hybrid synchronous motor at the front axle and a full-hybrid engine at the rear axle enables an overall system output of 241 kW/328 bhp. The innovative design of the BMW ActiveHybrid technology allows performance figures at the level of a sports car, with just 4.8 seconds required for the sprint from zero to 100 km/h - with an average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle (KV01) of 3.76 litters/100 kilometers, equal to 75.1 mpg imp, and a CO2 emission rating of 99 grams per kilometer (1,3 l/100km and 33g CO2/km; EU-PHEV ECE-R101).

This unique relation between dynamic performance and efficiency derives from the high level of efficiency of all engine components as well as intelligent linking of the power output of the three engines, as well as precisely controlled energy management including brake energy regeneration. What is more, the study BMW Vision EfficientDynamics is conceived as a so-called plug-in hybrid. The lithium-polymer rechargeable battery housed centrally in a longitudinal chassis element and designed specially for this hybrid sports car can be fully charged at a conventional power socket within just two and half hours. The use of electrical energy alone permits zero-emissions motoring with a range of some 50 kilometres, while a 24-litre diesel tank extends the total action radius of the vehicle to up to 700 kilometres.

By developing a sports car based on the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept study for serial production, the Munich-based premium automobile manufacturer underscores its position as a global leader in the production of sporty vehicles with exemplary efficiency. All current models are fitted as standard with extensive measures for the reduction of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. The innovations used for this purpose are based on the development strategy BMW EfficientDynamics, which also includes BMW ActiveHybrid technology as well as purely electrical drive systems. With the BMW ActiveHybrid 7 and the BMW ActiveHybrid X6, two serial production vehicles have already been launched in which a BMW-specific combination of combustion and electric drive results in an especially efficient increase in the driving dynamics so characteristic of the brand.

The BMW Group is also undertaking extensive field tests in regular traffic, which after the MINI E will soon include the BMW ActiveE, so as to prepare for serial production of a purely electrically powered model which is to be produced at the BMW plant in Leipzig from 2013 as the Megacity Vehicle.

At the same time, the current technology showcase vehicle being presented to mark the expansion of the BMW Leipzig plant not only demonstrates the consistent further development of BMW ActiveHybrid as a drive concept. It also highlights the expertise of the BMW Group in the integrated development of vehicle concepts which are geared towards the principles of BMW EfficientDynamics in every detail. Like the Megacity Vehicle, the sports car based on the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics study is an example of how future-oriented mobility opens up fascinating perspectives in combination with the driving pleasure characteristic of BMW.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/05/o...cs-production/

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The car looks cool but that electric $#@! is gay. Also why 2+2, It should be a two seater. I hope the make a proper mid-engine version with at least 570HP.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is just a stepping stone for future sports cars. The cost is said to be around $200K, Vs the $700K Porsche 918... The Porsche is tits, but $500K more...

How about you make one, and sell it to us... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

your pics don't show

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see them. I don't have time to re-host them right now...
    Last edited by GT3; 11-05-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    This is just a stepping stone for future sports cars. The cost is said to be around $200K, Vs the $700K Porsche 918... The Porsche is tits, but $500K more...

How about you make one, and sell it to us... Click here to enlarge

I would if I had the resources. The 918 is miles ahead on performance. The VED at most will perform like the M3 they are not even comparable.
    Last edited by 1cleanAMG; 11-05-2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will say this. It looks cool, it looks different and good at the same time. Definately exotic in my eyes.

As far as what they are trying to accomplish, well I dont know what they are trying to accomplish. It can go 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and get 70 mpg, who cares? If someone is shopping for a car that gets good gas mileage, they dont really care about 0-60 and vice versa. Maybe there are one or two exceptions, like people who use their exotic car a lot, but who in the world would put that many miles on that car to warrant the need for 70 mpg. I think they ran out of ideas and jumped on the pop culture band wagon of making everything 'green', including cars that dont need to be i.e. sports cars.

I think it is cool, fast and probably very high tech. What I want to know is how does this car work, when does the electric motor kick in? Does it come off the line with the electric motor that produces maximum torque at zero RPM and then the engine kicks in at some point? If so, will you feel the inertial load of the engine as it kicks on? Or does the engine rev match the motor off the line and they work together? What is the transmission like?

It says front axle has the electric motor, and rear has the engine hybrid? So what the $#@! is going on? How does traction control work? You have two very different powerplants at both ends of the vehicle, can you say cluster$#@!?

I am assuming the rear engine has its own dedicated electric motor hence why they call it full rear axle hybrid. Front has the other electric motor.

If they really want to accomplish something, go either full electric or full diesel; combining the two will just make things more difficult and overcomplex. Full electric IMO, I would rather have i.e tesla. Tesla is a better performer in my opinion although it is just a two seater. This new BMW car is too confusing for me to ever want one.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't get the big deal. It looks interesting, not great. The price is easily going to be 6 figures, and the performance is abysmal for a sports car. Slower than an M3? For $100k+? The fangirls on Fagpost are twirling their clits over it, though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    The car looks cool but that electric $#@! is gay. Also why 2+2, It should be a two seater. I hope the make a proper mid-engine version with at least 570HP.
    Agreed, this electric crap better just be to bring up fleet MPG numbers and to push through a mid-engine sports car.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Most important. The buyer of a 100k+ car doesn't give a $#@! about gas prices or MPG.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Most important. The buyer of a 100k+ car doesn't give a $#@! about gas prices or MPG.
    Exactly, I just want a BMW supercar and this isn't really it.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW to help us by building a green car one still wants

I'll have this over a Tesla, you can run electric and still go far if needed, it has as low emmisions as a Prius but still has close to 400hp.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...mpaign=ongoing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    I'll have this over a Tesla, you can run electric and still go far if needed, it has as low emmisions as a Prius but still has close to 400hp.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...mpaign=ongoing
    repost, merged.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It might be interesting to think about that EU is squeezing car manufactures here, it might soon be illegal to sell cars here that are over 100g/km of CO2..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd take a tesla over this anyday...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I'd take a tesla over this anyday...
    Or that Electic E30: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...t=electric+e30

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hypebrid

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it sure does look aggressive
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That electric E30 is sickness

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is a lengthy video on the VED:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like aforementioned...it looks damn cool, contemporary even...but super car? I would hardly call it that.
    Great for rich people trying to be green...oh wait, oxy moron when it comes to cars right? Because people don't buy six-figure sports cars for their MPG rating...