Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Cobb updating Accesstuner Race Software (ATR) and requiring a paid training course and evaluation before download

Many of you have on various platforms noticed the Cobb Accesstuner Race (ATR) Software no longer is available for download. Cobb is busy updating the ATR software and it was supposed to be out in June but it looks like we will be seeing it at some point this quarter.

Click here to enlarge

What is the difference? One major difference is that while the software is still free to download users will be required to attend an online course they they pay for. They will then have to pass a third party evaluation to use the software.

Why is this? We do not know for sure but it may have something to do with preventing people thinking they know how to tune from grenading their engines as well as emissions training. We will have to wait and find out what the course entails.

More details from Cobb below.

Click here to enlarge

We recognize that the Accesstuner Race software has been a big part of what makes COBB Accessport tuning solutions so powerful and user friendly for the communities we support. Many have come to rely on this software to help them make small changes to COBB Off The Shelf map files to customize features like launch control, flat foot shifting, or to adjust MAF scaling. Our goal is to continue to offer this type of customization software to our end user community.

After evaluating key industry trends and changes in the regulatory environment, we identified the need to update the software and provide expanded training for its use. So, in May of this year we removed the ability to download new copies of Accesstuner Race from our web site, indicated that changes were being made to the software, and it would be available again by the end of June. With that time now here, we want to provide you with an update on the progress of this project.

An updated version of Accesstuner will return in the near future, be fully featured, and will continue to be offered for free to COBB Accessport customers. Because this is a powerful piece of software, we have decided that in order to fulfill our mission of delivering responsible and safe tuning solutions, we will require that end users attend a paid online training course and pass an evaluation through a third party educator in order to have access to download this free software (Accesstuner). As you can imagine, implementing these changes and setting up the online training and evaluation process takes time and involves lots of different groups both internal and external to COBB. We’ve been hard at work updating this software while creating a curriculum and bank of test questions to ensure that those who complete the course are able to safely and responsibly utilize this software. Because of the size and complexity of this project, it is taking us longer than we originally projected to complete the launch of Accesstuner and our training program.

Our current timeline is for the Accesstuner software and training program to be ready for launch in the third quarter of this year. Once we are a little closer to an actual release date we will provide you with more information about the training process required for an end-user to acquire and use our Accesstuner software. We apologize that this launch has taken longer than we expected, but please know that we are very focused on getting this project completed. In the meantime, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. We appreciate your support and your patience while we make these changes.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just wow. This is pretty much non sense. Like I need Cobb to be my nanny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I suspect Coob's sudden recognition of legal liability issues. Did they just change or hire new counsel? ��

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mar778c Click here to enlarge
    Just wow. This is pretty much non sense. Like I need Cobb to be my nanny.
    You have a point. You should just be able to sign a waiver.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jeffman Click here to enlarge
    I suspect Coob's sudden recognition of legal liability issues. Did they just change or hire new counsel? ��
    I'm going to see if they'll let me take the class so we can see what this is all about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I use ATR to tune my 09 STI. I read this and called them today. They did not come right out and say it, but apparently "Bro" tuners have found a loop hole and have been able to tune as many cars as they want with out paying for the Pro licensing fees and other what nots. My ATR is still working and I loaded a revision on my car today. The rep told me that people like myself, current active users, could take the class first (maybe at a discount), then take a test and depending on the score, different user levels and tables would be open to us. I think SCT has something similar, but w/o the test. That was all a maybe., I don't think they know. The rep also told me if I had ATR on my computer to back it up. He also said the interface appearance would change, I hate the green, yellow and red, and the new ATR would have flex fuel support. Last the class would be online and be between $100-$200. That goes with what Sticky said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    They did not come right out and say it, but apparently "Bro" tuners have found a loop hole and have been able to tune as many cars as they want with out paying for the Pro licensing fees and other what nots.
    So the problem is people tuning with ATR without paying for it and collecting cash for tuning that way or just doing it for free?

How does this stop someone from distributing the install file after they pass the class?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Idk, I think there was probably 5 problems with ATR as it was, but it seams like, from what I have read on Facebook and Subi forums that Pro tuners were getting burned. Idk if you get full access to tables and features on the BMW ATR, but the Subi ATR has everything, so if you wanted to tune another AP all you do is send a request with an AP serial number and you get ATR with locked to that AP. People would advertise on Craigslist and Facebook from what I hear. You could have 50 on your computer. They had no way of knowing. Enough Pro tuners probably got mad and they were forced to change. That's my guess.

I tune other Subi's for free or lunch with ECU flash for lunch or beer money, so idk why they just don't go that rout.
    as far as doing that post class, I have no idea, maybe they have nannys built into now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Idk, I think there was probably 5 problems with ATR as it was, but it seams like, from what I have read on Facebook and Subi forums that Pro tuners were getting burned. Idk if you get full access to tables and features on the BMW ATR, but the Subi ATR has everything, so if you wanted to tune another AP all you do is send a request with an AP serial number and you get ATR with locked to that AP. You could have 50 on your computer. They had no way of knowing. Enough Pro tuners probably got mad and they were forced to change. That's my guess.
    I think you're on to something.

I'll see if I can get clarification from Cobb @Josh@Cobb @COBB Tuning and maybe they'll let me take that course too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I love Cobb stuff. I'm going to take the class. There is no one in Texhoma that tunes import cars, so I get a few emails a week for help, or road tuning/logging. I hope they have real information so I can learn more about tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

What I want to know, hypothetically, is if I take the class and do well on the assessment will Cobb let me be a Pro Tuner? I was told that you have to have a shop and dyno, but I know there are Pro's that sell e-tunes and offer remote dyno tuning from their kitchen table.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

What I want to know, hypothetically, is if I take the class and do well on the assessment will Cobb let me be a Pro Tuner? I was told that you have to have a shop and dyno, but I know there are Pro's that sell e-tunes and offer remote dyno tuning from their kitchen table.
    I wish I could answer this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    See link below. It looks like people are reacting to this change in a negative way as well.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/accesstune...wsletter072816

See the comments section

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mar778c Click here to enlarge
    See link below. It looks like people are reacting to this change in a negative way as well.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/accesstune...wsletter072816

See the comments section
    I mean I don't think it's a hugely negative thing:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Marshall@COBB
    Hey Cameron! Our intent is to provide users who previously purchased Accesstuner Race an access code that allows them to take the course at no charge and then download the updated version of Accesstuner. Once the new system is in place and we release Accesstuner for the Focus RS you should be good to go!Marshall@COBB
    I want to see what this course and certification process entails.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do we request the code, or is it automated? When will we get this code? I generally think Cobb has their crap together, but I think they are making some of this stuff up as they go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do we request the code, or is it automated? When will we get this code? I generally think Cobb has their crap together, but I think they are making some of this stuff up as they go.
    I wish I had answers for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I use ATR to tune my 09 STI. I read this and called them today. They did not come right out and say it, but apparently "Bro" tuners have found a loop hole and have been able to tune as many cars as they want with out paying for the Pro licensing fees and other what nots. My ATR is still working and I loaded a revision on my car today. The rep told me that people like myself, current active users, could take the class first (maybe at a discount), then take a test and depending on the score, different user levels and tables would be open to us. I think SCT has something similar, but w/o the test. That was all a maybe., I don't think they know. The rep also told me if I had ATR on my computer to back it up. He also said the interface appearance would change, I hate the green, yellow and red, and the new ATR would have flex fuel support. Last the class would be online and be between $100-$200. That goes with what Sticky said.

they didnt know this? this has been going on for a few years. i thought they just didnt care. I had that thought come to mind when they said they would be taking it down for an update. It doesnt affect me either way.

SCT has their software tied to Hasp Keys that allow or dont allow tuning on certain ECM codes or models.it works pretty good also. They don't require a class to have the software, but they investigate you and your business model before allowing you to come on as a dealer/tuner, similar to ECUtek. The Cobb ATP uses Hasp keys too. But i guess now all the people who pop up making Tuning pages with no experience may be decreased, which was always a peave of mine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Ya, I remember my when my old business partner/tuner bought the SCT software for the EBF150/Focus ST that he was given a low level of accessibility. Boost on the EB is controlled by the throttle body along with several other limiters/torque tables you need or the tb will close and limit power. In order to make any kind of good power you had to have higher user levels. As soon as we were vetted and had some conversations with them we had full access. I just want to learn more about tuning, and tune my STI.

With Subaru's and Evo's there is open access to the entire ecu with ECU Flash/Romraider, the programs are free and a tatrix is $120. So, if a guy wanted to he could tune as many of those cars he wanted, buyer be ware. I'm road tuning a buddy's WRX this weekend, and he understands the risk, but like I said there is no one in Texoma with any experience tuning imports let alone Subi's. The closest AWD dyno is a few hundred miles away.

I paid $600 for the Cobb because it's streamlined and easy to catch a log w/o lugging a laptop around. I'll sign what ever waiver or no competition clause I just want to use ATR to tune my car.