Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Judge rules Porsche not at fault for Carrera GT accident which killed Paul Walker and Roger Rodas

The family members who lost Paul Walker and Roger Rodas attempted to go after Porsche for Carrera GT 'defects' in a wrongful death suit. A judge threw out the suit by Roger Rodas' widow. This likely means Paul Walker's daughter (and her father) will not be getting any money from Porsche either from their suits.

Click here to enlarge

It's a shame this society is so litigious. Accidents in high performance vehicles happen and the Carrera GT is designed to be the ultimate lightweight sports car. It takes considerable skill to pilot especially when speeding on city streets.

The defects alleged were that the cockpit could not handle a side impact properly. The judge stated Rodas hitting Walker caused most of his injuries as well as the head on collision and not a cabin defect. Claims of a compromised fuel cell were also shot down.

There also was not any proof that the Porsche suspension was to blame for the accident. Investigators concluded speeding (the car was going 94 miles per hour) was the cause of the accident.

Even if the judge ruled against Porsche it still would not bring back those lost. The lawyers still get paid of course and the scumbag representing Walker's daughter is still pushing forward with her lawsuit.

Source

Source 2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I remember a similar accident in Dubai when the driver also burnt to death. This is not the first incident like this with a CGT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The CGT has claimed some lives, yes. It is not a toy for kids. It is a high performance and razor sharp piece of machinery.

The bottom line is Porsche is not at fault for people getting in accidents with it just as a gun manufacturer is not at fault for gun related suicides.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thank God for the ruling. Almost everything can be litigated in the U.S. that we truly live in an age of litagation. I'm personally happy this got thrown out as it had no reason to be even in the court system in the first place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zeee_Q Click here to enlarge
    Thank God for the ruling. Almost everything can be litigated in the U.S. that we truly live in an age of litagation. I'm personally happy this got thrown out as it had no reason to be even in the court system in the first place.
    Well said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True. but the erupting in a fireball upon a serious impact worries me. BUT if I had the cash i would buy it and drive it in a heartbeat.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The CGT has claimed some lives, yes. It is not a toy for kids. It is a high performance and razor sharp piece of machinery.

The bottom line is Porsche is not at fault for people getting in accidents with it just as a gun manufacturer is not at fault for gun related suicides.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    True. but the erupting in a fireball upon a serious impact worries me. BUT if I had the cash i would buy it and drive it in a heartbeat.
    I don't think there's any issues with the design of the fuel tank. I think it's an accident in that car that is the problem.

It has to be treated with respect. The Carrera GT is a true driver's car but it will bite you if you are not careful.

The 996 GT2 had the reputation as a widow maker yet nobody is suing Porsche over it probably because no movie stars died in one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zeee_Q Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

Yes x1000 It is unfortunate as they were great people but this shouldn't be an opportunity to put blame on a company and try to get a financial gain out of it to try and offset the grief they are feeling for their losses.
    2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo w/ OCDworks Modified T51r Housing, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV, ADV sensors, and many more....
    RIP Click here to enlarge2008 AW/BL 135i
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    People like Paul Walker are considered "Larger than Life" and everyone looks for a guilty party when they die. The reality is that they are flesh and blood, just like the rest of us, and they are not endowed with better driving skills or decision making abilities than the rest of us. If anything, I question the judgement of the type of person that can simply write a check for a $500,000+ car and then jump in and drive the wheels off of it with minimal experience in that type of car.