Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

EVO compares the 2015 Porsche 991 Turbo to the 2015 Mercedes-AMG GT S - Laptime comparison

These German vehicles may both have dual clutch transmission and twin turbo powerplants but their execution is quite different. The Porsche 911 Turbo is well known with its all wheel drive and twin turbo direct injected rear engine 3.8 liter flat-6 putting out 520 horsepower for $149,520.

Click here to enlarge

The AMG GT S in comparison is a value at $129,900. It does have less horsepower at 510 and slightly less torque from its larger M178 4.0 liter V8 at 479 lb-ft compared to the 911 Turbo 487 lb-ft. Keep in mind though these figures are sent to the rear wheels in the GT and not all four as well as the fact the AMG GT has a front engine layout. The only way to truly know which one is making more power and torque is to get them both on the same dyno at the same time. The paper figures don't mean much these days with automakers sandbagging.

Mercedes positions the AMG GT S against the 911 Carrera S anyway based on its price. Keep in mind there is a standard AMG GT coming as well that will be cheaper to combat the Carrera. That means Mercedes is offering close to 911 Turbo performance for close to Carrera S and Carrera pricing. When AMG rolls out their Black Series version of the car then they will truly take the fight to the Turbo and Turbo S.

The fact the AMG GT is a complete mismatch to the Carrera and Carrera S and is being matched up to the 911 Turbo speaks volumes. Is it time for people to recognize that the 911 range is overpriced for what it is?

EVO takes both cars on the track for a laptime comparison. The 911 Turbo laps quicker but this seems to be predominantly due to all wheel drive traction helping the 911 Turbo put its power down earlier on a tight course.

The Mercedes is said to offer greater steering response and chassis dynamics but once again this is not the AMG GT model designed to topple the Turbo. It's designed to topple the Carrera S which it easily does.

The 911 Turbo laps the circuit in 1:15.2 which is 1.8 seconds quicker than the AMG GT and this is a lifetime on a short and tight roadcourse. If you expect the AMG GT S to beat the 911 Turbo for less money with less power and torque you are asking too much.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone tuning the AMG GT S yet. ?

I saw one at the NY Auto Show and it is a magnificent looking Merc, perhaps their best in recent memory.... I could have one if it could be tuned up to 600 whp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Group.america Weistec has had an M177 for quite some time now, they just released their down pipe/mid pipe combo yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if flash tunes were out sometime this summer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Anyone tuning the AMG GT S yet. ?
    Yes. Renntech and Weistec.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To make things more interesting:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    To make things more interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGYYhaSYbX4
    No race? No laptimes? Just driving around and talking about feelings? WTF?

This sucks. Autocar blows.

They have the cars in the first shot it looks like running each other why didn't they play that whole thing out? Garbage.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Autocar blows.
    Mostly unrelated, but Steve Sutcliffe from autocar was (surprisingly) a really good host on Drive+

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    Mostly unrelated, but Steve Sutcliffe from autocar was (surprisingly) a really good host on Drive+
    Sutcliffe is good at what he does.

Autocar in general sucks though. Look at the EVO video then look at this one. Tell me which one is better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Autocar in general sucks though. Look at the EVO video then look at this one. Tell me which one is better.
    Haha yes, I just watched the Autocar video over breakfast and came away extremely dissatisfied, and that's compared to dry toast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha yes, I just watched the Autocar video over breakfast and came away extremely dissatisfied, and that's compared to dry toast.
    I'm considering putting it up but it's almost just a waste of space. I may put it up just to mock Autocar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I may put it up just to mock Autocar.
    I think mockery is the only suitable reason to repost this video. It's honestly that useless.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think mockery is the only suitable reason to repost this video. It's honestly that useless.
    That's what I did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what I did.
    Perfect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No race? No laptimes? Just driving around and talking about feelings? WTF?

This sucks. Autocar blows.

They have the cars in the first shot it looks like running each other why didn't they play that whole thing out? Garbage.

I posted before i watched.. God almighty, how to do these people have jobs and why would benz or porsche give them their cars! What a disaster

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    I posted before i watched.. God almighty, how to do these people have jobs and why would benz or porsche give them their cars! What a disaster
    There are the choice few magazines that get press cars whenever they want. Autocar just does cookie cutter stuff like this.

I wonder if the auto producers prefer this as there is no real comparison data.

Would be interesting if they ever gave me these cars to test. I'd probably never get another car from either of them but it would be a real comparison.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    German car magazines have written (more than one) that the steering of the AMG GT is too sensitive, i.e. hyper reactive which at high speeds makes the car more difficult to drive than the Porsche.

They all seem to agree that the Porsche is the faster car but that the AMG offers far better value for money. And that the Porsche offers more day-to-day usability due to its all wheel drive and two rear seats (for dwarves).