Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Is Ferrari's arrogance/insecurity holding back the Dodge Viper? FCA politics may prevent far more powerful Viper ACR model

Ferrari continues to act like a spoiled brat. If it is not enough that they have created a virtual embargo on LaFerrari testing (professional or independent) their arrogance combined with insecurity is apparently affecting Dodge and the upcoming Viper ACR model.

Click here to enlarge

As we delve further into Ferrari's bizarre controlling behavior it becomes apparent that it affects those around it. Dodge unfortunately is getting sucked into Ferrari politics due to being a part of FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles).

Ferrari opting to skip comparisons with their competition is already sociopathic behavior but undermining brands in their own parent company goes beyond words. Ferrari allegedly does not want the Viper to offer a better power to weight ratio than the F12 and the ACR would do exactly that if it were allowed to. For this reason the ACR may not get a power bump.

Maybe Ferrari backed off this, maybe they did not, but the source that apparently disclosed that the power to weight ratio of the Viper is not allowed to exceed the Ferrari F12 is SRT CEO Ralph Giles himself. If the Viper ACR is not as good as it can be due to Ferrari's insecurity and political meddling it is high time for everyone including Dodge to say they have had enough of Maranello's BS and that it needs to stop.

Dry hp:weight ratios (SRT numbers)
    Bugatti Veyron 4.10
    Ferrari F12 4.70
    SRT Viper 4.91
    Lamborghini Aventador 4.96
    Corvette ZR1 5.01
    Porsche 911 Turbo 6.22

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This just angers me, how idiotic is Ferrari? No F12 buyer is cross shopping, or even remotely cares about the Viper. Absolutely preposterous that they're gimping a car who's sales haven't exactly been amazing as to preserve what?? The sooner FCA sells Ferrari the better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    The sooner FCA sells Ferrari the better.
    I don't think the sale will make a difference. Management as well as majority ownership will remain effectively unchanged and still be at the whims of FCA.

Keeping that in mind, I understand (but don't agree with) why Ferrari/FCA is doing this. The margins on an F12 are probably much higher than a Viper. Plus, the "dominance" of Ferrari is (at least in their minds) the key to selling t-shirts, phone cases, and hideous shoes (as I take a sip from my Ferrari espresso mug which I bought for an exorbitant amount while at the factory/museum in Maranello).

In my opinion, the Viper's success doesn't come at Ferrari's expense since the market is so different between the two. I view it as taking bites out two pies rather than splitting the pie. But, then again, Italians are nuts.

Disclaimer: I am a FCAU shareholder.
    Last edited by fieldysnuts8; 03-16-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: adding further detail, disclaimer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They are just selling a stake anyway. Nothing changes they retain control but generate cash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fieldysnuts8 Click here to enlarge
    In my opinion, the Viper's success doesn't come at Ferrari's expense since the market is so different between the two.
    They are very different but Ferrari is just taking this way too far. Nobody is cross shopping the F12 and the Viper and the Americans tend to always offer better power to weight and HP per dollar than Ferrari.