Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ya know bmw might be planning something big and game changing, and letting the competition best them "for now"

i'm not an optimistic person but ya never know

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    ya know bmw might be planning something big and game changing, and letting the competition best them "for now"

i'm not an optimistic person but ya never know
    I wish I could believe that. Maybe they are planning a front wheel drive Active Tourer i8 powered by hamsters spinning a wheel?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't believe Bridgestone potenza tires are standard. Also, while I know top speed isn't everything, the test notes indicate that this thing runs out of steam after about 145. They mention the 5-60 was disappointing compared to the 0-60. For this kind of money that isn't acceptable in my opinion. If they had used an s65 this would have been a poor man's 918 spyder but no.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    Can't believe Bridgestone potenza tires are standard. Also, while I know top speed isn't everything, the test notes indicate that this thing runs out of steam after about 145. They mention the 5-60 was disappointing compared to the 0-60. For this kind of money that isn't acceptable in my opinion. If they had used an s65 this would have been a poor man's 918 spyder but no.
    Why? Bridgestone are my second favorite behind Michelin...

This is a product man - targeted at a specific customer...and I believe they have nailed it. It is not trying to be the best performing car at this price point, it's trying to be competitive and more interesting in terms of concept, look, and technology. I think they have accomplished those goals.

This thing is almost as fast as my 430 Scuderia 0-60 (500HP 3k lbs). In fact, I would bet that the average driver could achieve more consistent results in this vs, what was, a $300k super-car only ~5 years ago. Actually the Scud still costs far more than this used. This car is truly amazing, but it is not intended to appeal to everyone - that is a sure fire way to ensure failure. As an example, despite having the money, I never once considered it. However, I have recommended it to several other people to whom I think it would be a great match for their desired car ownership experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @singletrack , that is a phone auto correct causing me to write you're.... I am not a $#@!ing moron. Your attitude is pathetic and Congrats dude your a internet tough guy... I'm proud of you.

I was purposely throwing a comment out there there would get under sticky's skin for fun... and it worked... when your face is out from sticky's grundle please let us know about your Ferrari and your money one more time.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    @singletrack , that is a phone auto correct causing me to write you're.... I am not a $#@!ing moron. Your attitude is pathetic and Congrats dude your a internet tough guy... I'm proud of you.

I was purposely throwing a comment out there there would get under sticky's skin for fun... and it worked... when your face is out from sticky's grundle please let us know about your Ferrari and your money one more time.
    can you please take your bull$#@! to another thread

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    can you please take your bull$#@! to another thread
    sure , no problem
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sure , no problem
    thanks Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I wish I could believe that. Maybe they are planning a front wheel drive Active Tourer i8 powered by hamsters spinning a wheel?
    Ha///Mster power

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Imagine what this could have been with a 4- or even 6 cylinder engine coupled with the electric powertrain. That would have been epic. But in this form I can't imagine that many sports car enthusiasts will actually buy it. Those couldn't care less about a 3 cylinder tree hugger engine. The I8 is also severly crippled in the handling separtment due to its tiny tires.

So who was this car targeted at?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How are you getting under my skin by posting skewed numbers?

The reality of the vehicles performance is exactly as I stated it to be. You instead do come off looking somewhat stupid if you think an E92 M3 runs 13's.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Imagine what this could have been with a 4- or even 6 cylinder engine coupled with the electric powertrain. That would have been epic. But in this form I can't imagine that many sports car enthusiasts will actually buy it. Those couldn't care less about a 3 cylinder tree hugger engine. The I8 is also severly crippled in the handling separtment due to its tiny tires.

The tiny tires are idiotic too. They choose them obviously for lower rolling resistance as if an owner cares about a few more MPG versus handling.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Looks like the auto correct got you again - tough break.

Nice inferiority complex. The price of this car vs. the price of other cars of comparable performance is relevant; has nothing to do with what I have.

But by all means resort to name calling because your position is idiotic and you contribute nothing. Shoot me a PM if you are ever in Pittsburgh and I will be happy to say it to your face.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge

Same kind of people that buy Teslas...or Ferrari California IMHO. They want a cool looking car with a story.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Chris Harris driving i8:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i personally love the i8. it is my current dream car. i just wish they would put an M engine in and rule the world again

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i personally love the i8. it is my current dream car. i just wish they would put an M engine in and rule the world again
    They are getting their mass production CFRP in order...then I think we will see some Porsche/Ferrari level competition. At least it seems to make sense. They don't want to do it the same; they like to lead. Building super and hyper cars is very expensive and not all that profitable. But, if you change the whole game by being able to mass produce aluminum and CFRP, then it follows that production costs of super/hyper cars would also fall. I mean look at how far we have come - McLaren F1 was hand build and layered CF. Now we have a mass produced 20k unit i3? I'm simply shocked honestly...have you have ever seen that vid of the CF factory BMW has with all the looms everywhere? It's crazy...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Massively up production...I guess. They set a ridiculous initial estimate of 10,000 i3 units on purpose. Makes the new estimate of 20,000 i3 units sound like a news story. That is still considerably behind the Volt/Ampera yearly sales.

BMW is only producing 1,900 i8 units in the first year. Certainly will sell out those quickly, in fact I think they already did. Not hard for BMW to find 1,900 fanboys.
    The Volt has suffered decreasing sales lately. Only about 1500 units a month. In fact, the LEAF has kicked its but for about 5 months straight, averaging over 2000 units a month.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    That's pretty impressive. Considering this thing has two electronic motors and an engine, it's weight of 3380 shows how much weight can really be shaven when low-weight is truly the engineering goal. Even 0-100 is on par with an M3 - I would have expected the lower power to show by this speed. This shows how much weight really matters - 357 HP and keeps up with a 420 HP V-8... Not too shabby.

On another note, if they priced it well, I really believe a car like this would outsell Tesla; why they don't target that price is beyond me.

Cool car though - definitely faster than I would have bet.
    Drivetrain electrification is unbeatable. This is going to be a common theme with supercars in the future. First of all, the i3 has been rated at an incredible 138MPGe city economy, and 111MPGe Hwy. Much higher than any motorcycle, scooter, or Moped. That is insane. So that is the efficiency aspect. For supercars it is clearly evident how much they benefit from a hybrid electric/gas drivetrain. Just look at the following examples:

The Porsche 918: Quickest production car lap time around the Nurburgring.

BMW i8...as quick as a 4.0 liter V8 M3, with only a 1.5 liter engine!

McClaren P1, Runs a high 9 second quarter mile at over 148mph. Out accelerating a 8 liter quad turbo 16 cyl Veyron with only a 3.8liter engine, and no gas guzzler penalty! And does it without AWD or super wide tires. Like the Tesla, electric enhanced drivetrains have superior launch capabilities.

Note: The i8 motor is detuned from the i3. It can easily put out another 40hp, if it weren't for the small battery pack. As soon as the next generation of batteries come out, watch out! The Tesla AWD Model S is coming out. IF they had the necessary battery capacity, were are talking 830hp, and 900lbs of torque from the combined output of both motors. They already had a video of the Tesla S giving a M5 a run 0-100 on Motor Trend. So a twin motor Tesla would be some formidable completion, and yet with low drivetrain loses of the second motor (and superior regeneration), efficiency would barely be compromised with that tiny office trash can sized Tesla motor. As it is, a Tesla S is rated at almost 90MPGe, much more efficient than a Prius...its crazy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmwsport Click here to enlarge
    The Volt has suffered decreasing sales lately. Only about 1500 units a month. In fact, the LEAF has kicked its but for about 5 months straight, averaging over 2000 units a month.
    It's because the Volt sucks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Drivetrain electrification is unbeatable. This is going to be a common theme with supercars in the future. First of all, the i3 has been rated at an incredible 138MPGe city economy, and 111MPGe Hwy. Much higher than any motorcycle, scooter, or Moped. That is insane. So that is the efficiency aspect. For supercars it is clearly evident how much they benefit from a hybrid electric/gas drivetrain. Just look at the following examples:

The Porsche 918: Quickest production car lap time around the Nurburgring.

BMW i8...as quick as a 4.0 liter V8 M3, with only a 1.5 liter engine!

McClaren P1, Runs a high 9 second quarter mile at over 148mph. Out accelerating a 8 liter quad turbo 16 cyl Veyron with only a 3.8liter engine, and no gas guzzler penalty! And does it without AWD or super wide tires. Like the Tesla, electric enhanced drivetrains have superior launch capabilities.

Note: The i8 motor is detuned from the i3. It can easily put out another 40hp, if it weren't for the small battery pack. As soon as the next generation of batteries come out, watch out! The Tesla AWD Model S is coming out. IF they had the necessary battery capacity, were are talking 830hp, and 900lbs of torque from the combined output of both motors. They already had a video of the Tesla S giving a M5 a run 0-100 on Motor Trend. So a twin motor Tesla would be some formidable completion, and yet with low drivetrain loses of the second motor (and superior regeneration), efficiency would barely be compromised with that tiny office trash can sized Tesla motor. As it is, a Tesla S is rated at almost 90MPGe, much more efficient than a Prius...its crazy.
    You are quite correct, this is the future. I personally prefer the hybrid approach by the manufacturers you mentioned as they went for balls to the wall performance. BMW went too far in the efficiency direction. Just a minor change is all this needed to go from excellent to epic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's because the Volt sucks.
    LOL - straight to the point. Yes, it does. Yes it does. It's ugly, doesn't handle well doesn't accelerate or brake well, costs too much money - and doesn't "really" check off any of the boxes that a car buyer is looking to check except maybe fuel efficiency.

The problem is no one is going to spend 60k for just efficiency. All people need to do is look at Tesla, and model off of that. It's a great car - and if you care about efficiency, but want to have some fun - it's probably perfect for you.

On the other hand, I would/will miss that 8400 RPM redline no matter what the outcome of future e-cars is. Click here to enlarge

It's just a matter of time before this is done at mass-production levels. I think it's super cool how the P1 "fills in the torque gaps" from the turbos (lag)... This is how it should be done - and, we are going to see some amazing things done once electricity can be contained efficiently. You look at all the amazing things they are doing with this car - that couldn't be done before electrons being introduced to the powertrain. I mean, they actually apply negative torque to the engine, to QUICKEN the RPM drop, to ensure that the upshift is "that much quicker". It's absurd the amount of engineering/thought that went into that beast. Oh, and 0-300 KM/H in 17 seconds. Insane.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12