Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

EVO does a track special battle between the Porsche 997 GT2 RS and the Mercedes-Benz SLS Black Series

This is a good one gentlemen. Two of the best track ready cars coming out of Germany that money can buy. You likely are familiar with both of these vehicles. A quick reminder that the SLS Black Series has a modified 6.2 liter M159 V8 good for 631 horsepower along with roadcourse tweaked suspension, gearing, shift speed, aerodynamics, etc. The GT2 RS is everything you love about the rear wheel drive 911 GT2 but taken up a notch.

Click here to enlarge

Porsche increases power out of the 3.6 liter flat-6 to 620 horses. Both cars are rated at over 600 at the crank but the GT2 RS appears to have the edge in wheel horsepower and torque clearly being underrated by Porsche. The GT2 RS is in the upper 500's at the wheels whereas the SLS AMG Black Series is in the lower 500's stock. It's easier to give conservative numbers with forced induction.

Additionally, a major difference other than the engines is the transmissions. The Porsche has a traditional manual whereas the SLS BLack Series has a dual clutch transmission that is even more aggressively tuned.

So how do they stack up on the track? Keep in mind the EVO roadcourse looks to be a bit short and tight.

SLS Black Series - 1:02.3
    911 GT2 RS - 1:01.8

It's close and it will vary based on the track and driver but the GT2 RS has the quicker lap in this comparison. The lighter weight of the GT2 RS definitely helps it. At a very light 3085 pounds it is almost 700 pounds lighter than the SLS Black series. However, that is in comparison to the US curb weight which is heavier due to safety regulations. The European SLS Black Series should be close to a 400 pound difference.

Regardless, the 997 GT2 has the better power to weight ratio and despite being the older platform and not sporting a technologically advanced gearbox its raw grunt and lighter weight pull this one out.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, I don't think anyone will be shocked to see the Gt2 RS put down a record time, but I had no idea the SLS BS was so capable. Good video.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    Wow, I don't think anyone will be shocked to see the Gt2 RS put down a record time, but I had no idea the SLS BS was so capable. Good video.
    Both are extremely capable. Mercedes does an excellent job with the Black Series. A higher end, focused, AMG targeting a specific audience. That is how it should be.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The GT2 RS is my dream porsche! I am actually surprised the SLS lost as its alot newer track focused car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It would be nice if BMW had a "black series" line of hardcore m cars... Maybe a gts or csl version of a few of them

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They do. It's called the competition package. Oh wait...
    A man once said, if you aren't first, you are last!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i'm noticing all these mercedes and audi articles are getting turned into discussions on how $#@!ty BMW is becoming compared to them lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    i'm noticing all these mercedes and audi articles are getting turned into discussions on how $#@!ty BMW is becoming compared to them lol
    Well I mean what BMW would be thrown in this comparison? There isn't one that wouldn't end up limping home embarassed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    It would be nice if BMW had a "black series" line of hardcore m cars... Maybe a gts or csl version of a few of them
    They were supposed to respond to Black Series but there isn't anything at all...