Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

2014 V8 luxury super sedan shootout - BMW F10 M5, Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S, Jaguar XFR-S, Porsche Panamera Turbo, and Audi RS7 compared

Finally somebody got this right and invited all the forced induction V8 luxury sedan big boys to play. Every super sedan here is a twin turbocharged V8 except for the Jaguar XFR-S with its supercharged 5.0 liter V8. This comparison is practically perfect if not for the Panamera Turbo being chosen instead of the Panamera Turbo S. Despite being the most expensive car in the comparison the Panamera Turbo is over matched and the slowest car out of the five. Road and Track did not choose the standard E63 AMG 4Matic or the standard M5 but the highest performance versions of each so it should follow that the same be done with the Panamera.

Click here to enlarge

You will not see any complaining here as somebody finally managed to get these five together and do some proper testing. Let's start by pointing how the cars differ. The only dual clutch transmission cars in the comparison are the BMW M5 and the Porsche Panamera. The M5 routes its power to the rear wheels just like the Jaguar. The Panamera is the only all wheel drive and dual clutch car. The Audi RS7 and Mercedes E63 AMG S 4Matic both feature all wheel drive but route the power through a more conventional automatic gearbox. The Mercedes 7-speed features an MCT wet clutch packs in place of the torque converter whereas the Jaguar and Audi 8-speed automatics still have torque converters. Read that over a few times if you need to.

Here is what the cars weigh in order from lightest to heaviest with front to rear weight distribution percentage from front to rear following. How accurate these figures are is anyone's guess as the Jaguar XFR-S and BMW M5 are both stated as exactly 4300 pounds which is rather unlikely to say the least:

1. 2014 BMW M5 Competition Package - 4300 lb, 51/49%
    1. 2014 Jaguar XFR-S - 4300 lb, 51/49%
    3. 2014 Audi RS7 - 4420 lb, 55/45%
    4. 2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo - 4440, 52/48%
    5. 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S 4Matic - 4640, 51/49%

Despite the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S having the highest cur weight, significantly so, it maintains a respectable 51 to 49 percent weight distribution front to rear. The Audi RS7 on the other hand is the most nose heavy of the bunch and Audi still needs work in this area. It would be nice to get more accurate weight measurements going at least the to 1/10 value but we will take what we can get.

The Mercedes 4Matic all wheel drive system adds considerable weight putting the car at roughly 340 pounds heavier than the M5. That said, it puts the power down well as the 3.2 second 0-60 sprint shows which is matched only by the RS7. This is a traction limited stat but that is also why so many cars are going to all wheel drive as power and torque numbers spiral out of control. Here are the cars ordered by their 1/4 mile trap speeds which this network feels is the best representation of straight line potential and prowess:

1. 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S 4Matic - 123.1
    2. 2014 BMW M5 F10 M5 Competition Package - 122.3
    3. 2014 Audi RS7 - 120.3
    4. 2014 Jaguar XFR-S - 118.3
    5. Porsche Panamera Turbo - 114.4

What is interesting to note is the the E63 AMG S is the fastest car in this test. Why did MotorTrend get a higher trap speed for the F10 M5 Competition Package than the E63 AMG S than Road and Track? That is a good question and it may be due to different cars and different results. The cars are so fast and close to each other that fuel or even the break in can change the results. In this test, the E63 AMG S is the straightline champ both in elapsed time and trap speed. That is with the heaviest curb weight so it should be clear who is truly putting out the most power and torque stock.

The objective numbers are what they are and you can see the full results below. The subjective qualities are where it gets interesting as the Jaguar is rated as having the best steering feel. It is followed by the F10 M5 which it is important to note that BMW addressed criticism about the M5's steering feel with the Competition Package. The RS7, E63, and Panamera Turbo all get lackluster ratings.

Click here to enlarge

Once all the subjective numbers were added up the M5 finished in first place followed by the E63 in second. The RS7 gets the third place nod with the Jaguar XFR-S interestingly coming in front of the Panamera Turbo which finishes in last place. The M5 wins because it is the most fun to drive. It gets your heart pumping and palms sweating. The E63, RS7, and Panamera Turbo may be great from a stop and getting a good 0-60 time but they are not quite as exciting. Regardless, there is a $100,000+ luxury sedan here to accommodate almost any taste.

Click here to enlarge
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Loved reading this test, seems very fair. Definitely seen better trap speeds from even non-comp M5s but the point is they are all fricking fast. I cannot believe how heavy the Benz is...blows my mind every time. Weight seems right for the M5 with ceramic brakes, as they are 44 pounds lighter than the cast iron units. Panamera is really disappointing, and even more sad(?) is that the Turbo S likely wouldn't have been much faster. Although it is an amazing car, the Panamera is expensive for what it is. After seeing enough videos of RS7s attempting to go around corners, I could never own one. They heave and roll and push like old Cadillacs. The Jag is pretty outside and makes a nice noise but is woefully outdated. In the end I'd have to take either the AMG or the M5, and since the M5 (to me) is nicer inside and feels a bit more involving, I'd have to take it as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Loved reading this test, seems very fair. Definitely seen better trap speeds from even non-comp M5s but the point is they are all fricking fast. I cannot believe how heavy the Benz is...blows my mind every time. Weight seems right for the M5 with ceramic brakes, as they are 44 pounds lighter than the cast iron units. Panamera is really disappointing, and even more sad(?) is that the Turbo S likely wouldn't have been much faster. Although it is an amazing car, the Panamera is expensive for what it is. After seeing enough videos of RS7s attempting to go around corners, I could never own one. They heave and roll and push like old Cadillacs. The Jag is pretty outside and makes a nice noise but is woefully outdated. In the end I'd have to take either the AMG or the M5, and since the M5 (to me) is nicer inside and feels a bit more involving, I'd have to take it as well.
    No, magazine times for the non-comp are around 119/120. The Competition Package definitely gets it to the ~122 range.

The Benz is damn heavy. I was not expecting that much of a weight gain.

The Turbo S still wouldn't run with these guys but you'll notice it's the best handling of the bunch. The Porsche behaves like a Porsche. It's probably the most fun to drive if it wasn't for the Competition Package making the M5 so much better.

The Jag is behind the times.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No, magazine times for the non-comp are around 119/120. The Competition Package definitely gets it to the ~122 range.

The Benz is damn heavy. I was not expecting that much of a weight gain.

The Turbo S still wouldn't run with these guys but you'll notice it's the best handling of the bunch. The Porsche behaves like a Porsche. It's probably the most fun to drive if it wasn't for the Competition Package making the M5 so much better.

The Jag is behind the times.
    I've seen some pretty crazy time slips by private owners but yeah magazine times were around there. They are damn fast either way. Fun fact - the style 343 wheels on that test car (which are the "regular" 20s on the M5) are 5.5 lbs a piece lighter than the "competition" style 601s. 343s are also forged, 601s are not. I think its funny how the M5 Comp Package press cars I've seen have had the 343s. I mean taking 22 pounds out of the wheels is huge, if I was them I'd spec them like that too. Anway....

Yeah I cannot figure out how they managed to make it so damn heavy. The 5 series is a Rolls Royce Ghost in drag for god's sake. The E-Class is just a bank vault.

The Turbo S would definitely be the best driver's car...but you pay for it. All the money in the world...might be the one I'd have. But when you can get the M5 for half the price and have a faster car in a straight line as well as 95% of the handling, it's hard to argue. Also I must have a problem because I find the Panny gorgeous, especially post-facelift.

Oh yeah. They need fresh products quickly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Also I must have a problem because I find the Panny gorgeous, especially post-facelift.
    You aren't the only one that thinks it is beautiful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You aren't the only one that thinks it is beautiful.
    Thank god. In person they are honestly breath-taking. Like most beautiful things, you really need to study it up close to fully appreciate it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Kinda weird how the two cars with the dual clutch transmissions, got the worst scores for transmission category.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Kinda weird how the two cars with the dual clutch transmissions, got the worst scores for transmission category.
    Agreed. I didn't really understand that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd probably take the Panny as well. The new M5 doesn't do it for me, Panny > M6 GC > M5 > RS7 > E63 ……… XF-RS is just chillen over here

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    agree as well....
    seems they r going by old stereo types of sorts

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hate the fact that bmw broadcasts the engine sounds through the stereo. I hope they listen to all the negative press that is receiving.

I would take the m5 in this test and the RS7 second. I have driven a Audi A7 and its a fantastic car.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I hope they listen to all the negative press that is receiving.
    They can't hear you over the fake engine sounds playing on their speakers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea.... i'm just waiting for someone to come out with a s85 sound mod lol
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Yea.... i'm just waiting for someone to come out with a s85 sound mod lol
    They did. It's called the E60 M5.