Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

The Corvette C7 Stingray compared to the Porsche 991 Carrera S, Audi R8, and Jaguar F-Type

Don't worry this is not another C7 versus 991 comparison as although those two are featured the Audi R8 and Jaguar F-Type also get thrown in the mix. This comparison is by Autocar so it is not exactly the best quality comparison. The reviewer starts off by saying the 991 Carrera S was chosen to compare the acceleration and stopping prowess. Well, then why not go with the 991 GT3 or Turbo if that is your sole criteria for bringing a 911 to the party considering they are quicker and faster than the Carrera S?

Click here to enlarge

The F-Type is brought in to compare the 'noise' or exhaust sound. An important area of a car's appeal but all of these vehicles make noise. It is not exactly complex to compare the two cars with V8's in exhaust sound because they happen to both have V8's. If you want to compare exhaust noise compare all the cars as this isn't a best V8 exhaust sound shootout.

The R8 is brought in to compare handling but if you are comparing the F-Type versus the C7 for exhaust sound because they are both V8's why are you comparing the car with all wheel drive and a mid-engine layout to the Corvette for handling? Wouldn't the same line of thinking for the previous comparison apply to have the front engine rear wheel drive V8 car be used? Especially considering it is wet out?

Honestly, the choices and comparisons are rather illogical. Just compare all the cars in each area as picking and choosing one or the other leaves out important context that would otherwise be added. You have four cars so use all four cars in each comparison or what's the point?

Since it is wet out they decide to run the cars from a roll. Finally an intelligent decision in a straight line contest from British reviewers. Yes, eliminate the traction factor when it's wet as some of the cars in the comparison are rear wheel drive. So the 911 and the C7 go at it from a 30 mile per hour roll. The Corvette from a roll decimates the 911. It is surprisingly one sided.

That said the 911's rear engine bias allows it to out brake the C7 from 90 miles per hour. The difference is significant but keep in mind it also is wet out. The rear engine design though shows its weight transfer advantage in braking.

I have listened to the F-Type V8 in person and it is perhaps the best production V8 exhaust note right off the showroom floor I have ever heard. Both sound great and this is very subjective as I have not listened to the C7 exhaust in person but based on the video the F-Type gets the nod. Both simply sound great.

Now the handling test against the R8 does not actually include any hard data. They call it a draw despite saying the R8 was quicker (without backing this up with any data). Yes, this is one of those reasons Autocar comparisons are not that great as it is a string of subjective points. Not that any hard data would have helped that much here since they were running the cars on back roads in the wet. It's amazing this is considered professional journalism.

Despite all those missteps the Corvette is crowned the king of the comparison. It's a hell of a car and can more than hold its own against any of these cars despite having the lowest price tag.

Video below.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I saw this video other day too.

Goodwood compares the Stingray vs Aston Martin Vantage V12 S vs. Jaguar F-type V8S

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    I saw this video other day too.

Goodwood compares the Stingray vs Aston Martin Vantage V12 S vs. Jaguar F-type V8S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK4_gLwiKf8
    How I $#@!ing wish I had BritishBoost up already.

I need someone to prescribe me some kind of stimulant as coffee is not cutting it.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I need someone to prescribe me some kind of stimulant as coffee is not cutting it.
    You've been a gym rat for some time haven't you? Not sure if you're old enough (being serious here) but what used to be the "magic stimulant" stack for a workout (or a graveyard shift) was the old tried and true stack of 2 caffeine tabs, 1 325 mg. aspirin, and 1 ephedrine tablet. Years ago you could purchase good old pure ephedrine tabs before the FDA pulled it. Even after it was pulled out of sports supplements you could still buy a package of Primatene tablets over the counter...another way to get your ephedrine...until the FDA stopped that as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blitz535i Click here to enlarge
    You've been a gym rat for some time haven't you?
    No I've only recently had a significant workout regimen I follow daily and it consists mostly of cardio. I have added weight training last year though with some good results.

Not sure if you're old enough (being serious here) but what used to be the "magic stimulant" stack for a workout (or a graveyard shift) was the old tried and true stack of 2 caffeine tabs, 1 325 mg. aspirin, and 1 ephedrine tablet.
    I'm familiar with this stack but didn't people have heart attacks with the ephedrine despite the aspirin?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    when i was working my first job outta college, i considered a c5 (new at the time)... and the response from co-worker whiteboys was that "dude, a corvette just says 'i'm a mustang guy with more cash'". that part made sense. couldn't afford an e46 m3 (still had a premium), so i got a barely used e36 m3

i saw a lingenfelter 800hp c5 for 20 (maybe 25k) on ebay. sounds like a bit much, but it is a fast car. i would get an fd rx-7 if it was cheap enough. supra? looks like a roid raged celica, no thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by louis redfoot Click here to enlarge
    i would get an fd rx-7 if it was cheap enough
    If you don't know the complete history of the car it can be a maintenance nightmare.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you don't know the complete history of the car it can be a maintenance nightmare.
    wanna hear a ghost story? the 996 cab owner was a silver haired guy (from huntington beach) named dave. if that's who it might be, poor guy, he's totally empty. lost a divorce, used a carrera as credit union collateral, talking about how he was doing 10x better 10 yrs ago.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm familiar with this stack but didn't people have heart attacks with the ephedrine despite the aspirin?
    Yes, I believe you are correct...may have even been a young person (high schooler?) or two who had heart attacks while on this stack. I used to love this stack and ephedrine in general, great pre-workout stimulant and it also had some mild fat burning effects based on few studies from back in the day.

And BTW, the new 'Vette looks absolutely friggin' stunning on HRE's. Post some pics up when you get yours Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by louis redfoot Click here to enlarge
    wanna hear a ghost story? the 996 cab owner was a silver haired guy (from huntington beach) named dave. if that's who it might be, poor guy, he's totally empty. lost a divorce, used a carrera as credit union collateral, talking about how he was doing 10x better 10 yrs ago.
    That's a horrible story and makes me wonder why I would ever get married.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Post some pics up when you get yours
    I'll be posting pics everywhere. Just need this stupid M3 out of my hair (and wallet).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone else hear that 991 add an extra upshift or am I hearing things? I watched this video on my phone a few days ago.
    A man once said, if you aren't first, you are last!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Continues to boggle my mind that British journalists think it's ok to test cars in the wet and think the results mean anything. Watch the 991 vs C7 braking test again and pay attention to how much more wet the Corvette's side of the road is. You can hear its ABS struggling to prevent lockup while the 991 stops on a dime on its dry section of road.

Edmunds tested the 991 and C7 and here are the 60-0 braking distances they measured on fully dry roads: 991 - 102 feet, C7 - 93 feet.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...rack-test.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    Continues to boggle my mind that British journalists think it's ok to test cars in the wet and think the results mean anything
    Same here. I'm sick of these British reviews.