Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Finally? Formula 1 considering allowing live online streaming of races by 2015

Well, it seems Formula 1 is finally deciding to get with the times. Things are still at a preliminary stage but it is confirmed Formula 1 is working on making online live streaming of their races a reality. This news comes from the document Formula 1 submitted for flotation of F1 stock to the Singapore Stock Exchange. In order to get the most money possible it seems Bernie Ecclestone and Formula 1 are considering the additional revenue of leveraging digital assets.

From the 144th page of the document, “we are in the initial stages of developing our digital media assets. The right to stream races online is typically licensed out to our broadcast partners around the world but we may consider changing our model and exploiting them independently in the future. As the exclusive rights holder to the World Championship, we have the benefit of controlling both our online platform and content which gives us a wide range of opportunities to monetize our rights, including through internal and third party solutions.”

The NBA (National Basketball Association) currently allows online live streaming of games as well as the ability to view past games. If Formula 1 were to adopt a similar model it would greatly enhance the worldwide audience especially in North America due to the timezone different for races across the pond making it difficult to have a large audience for live viewing. Additionally, not all races are televised or easily accessible to the entire potential audience.

This could come soon as the majority of the F1 television contracts will expire around 2015 allowing for new contracts with the digital aspects accounted for. Let's hope this gets done and with Bernie's never ending craving for money the ability to watch or download an F1 race from anywhere in the world at any time will be here soon.

Click here to enlarge
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are already means of doing this in the UK through BBC / Sky, obviously that does not help the rest of the world outside of the EU. There are however illegal streams but , these are generally shocking quality and the feed is less than reliable.

Be a good idea I think, pay per view option even better option. Not everyone wants to watch all the races afterall.
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky68 Click here to enlarge
    There are already means of doing this in the UK through BBC / Sky, obviously that does not help the rest of the world outside of the EU. There are however illegal streams but , these are generally shocking quality and the feed is less than reliable.

Be a good idea I think, pay per view option even better option. Not everyone wants to watch all the races afterall.
    I don't mind a flat rate for all the races.

I was watching the Monaco GP today (recorded it) and it was awesome. I'd like the ability for an online stream of all the races.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah but there's nothing like watching it with the gang in the coffee shop with my hookah lol.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Yeah but there's nothing like watching it with the gang in the coffee shop with my hookah lol.
    That means they just need to stream to the TV Click here to enlarge