Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW to play a role in the new Supra and the new Supra to play a role in the new BMW Z4? Things are getting crazy

So with BMW and Toyota announcing their deal to join forces with technology development it seems there are going to be some very interesting results from the collaboration. The initial announcement stated that BMW and Toyota would partner on a new sports car and interestingly enough it seems that sports car will indeed be the Toyota Supra successor as rumored. Additionally, it seems the GT86 platform which underpins the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S will play a role in a new car for both BMW and Toyota.

Click here to enlarge

That platform will be stretched for a larger and more expensive sports car. BMW will be responsible for chassis tuning as in dialing in the suspension. BMW will then borrow this platform for the next generation Z4. So, costs are kept down for both but will the new Z4 be a new Supra in drag? It sure is appearing that way and it just seems awkward for a BMW roadster to have a Toyota platform underpinning it.

The new Supra is expected to have a 400 horsepower from a turbocharged 2.5 liter inline-4 hybrid drivetrain while the BMW Z4 version is said to use a V6 hybrid setup. We will all have to wait an see where this goes. Let's hope it works out well for the performance enthusiast as right now it just feels weird.

Source

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hopefully a relatively lightweight BMW? Something that we haven't seen since the E36. Every Toyota car (not truck/van/convertible) I've driven has shared the same solid feel structure (for it's time), so I don't see any issue with using the GT86 platform.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    seems backwards, I rather see a Toyota with a BMW chassis then this...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spool twice Click here to enlarge
    so I don't see any issue with using the GT86 platform.
    Doesn't feel right to me for a BMW Z car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spool twice Click here to enlarge
    hopefully a relatively lightweight BMW? Something that we haven't seen since the E36. Every Toyota car (not truck/van/convertible) I've driven has shared the same solid feel structure (for it's time), so I don't see any issue with using the GT86 platform.
    I have doubts on a hybrid being lightweight; until the battery technology gets better, we are stuck with Li-ion battery packs that weigh in at hundreds of pounds... Click here to enlarge

On another note, the E36 M3 was relatively lightweight, the E46 was 200 lb. heavier, albeit with a higher structural rigidity, same goes for the e90/92 series M - another 150ish lb. on top of the E46 - but higher rigidity.

There are some good things about weight - like safety, rigidity, and furthermore more mechanical grip. A lot of people misunderstand this part - although the car will not feel as "quick and nimble" in tight corners, a heavier car should have more mechanical grip in the higher speed corners (think GT-R or new M5/6). It's not good for autocross, or again a small track, but the point is - I think BMW knows that we want a lighter weight car, but also needs to take into concern the amount of power these cars have/who is really driving them.

I am curious about the next M3, and although I really really really do not like the fact that they are going forced induction on this car, I might be interested if they can really hit their weight target. Look at the latest 911 - a car with less power than the E9x M3; because of it's low weight (3,100 lb.) - it is crushing cars of much higher power: http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...-M5-and-F13-M6

I love that 991 911, on second thought, I have a hard time believing the next M will be better than this. Click here to enlarge

Sorry to go off topic here, let's see how this relationship pans out.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What. The F*ck. Give me an inline 3.2L Single Turbo. Just ruined the model. Not to mention that proto is fugly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That concept looks like diarrhea
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nope... we are getting some hybrid bull$#@! here. Toyota+BMW of today is a guaranteed loss.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No inline-6?????????!!!!!!!! What are they thinking? What is a Supra with no inline-6, these people at BMW and Toyota are stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rezin23 Click here to enlarge
    No inline-6?????????!!!!!!!! What are they thinking? What is a Supra with no inline-6, these people at BMW and Toyota are stupid.
    Considering every generation of Supra has had an inline-6 I don't know what to say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I currently have both a 1998/6Spd Supra and a 2010/SCM3DCT and everytime I drive either it I get a hard on. Cant imagine a 4 cyl hybrid will ever approch the power levels needed to keep my hard on. M3 handles like a wet dream and the supra set up with coilovers is pretty awesome on the track as well. They will have to come up with something really special to get my $.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is one fugly concept model. I don't care so much what engine they put in as long as it's jap and makes real power.

Hopefully the car has roughly the same interior dimensions of the last Supra and not built for Ewoks like the F86.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Put an inline six, twin turbo rwd like before and upgrade the interior and freshen the platform up with 'new' parts. Thats all this platform needs. Just 'newer' $#@!, not a bunch of changes. This ain't a supra, its a car with a supra badge.