All good things end. Another major driver announces their retirement from racing this year (Michael Schumacher making the same announcement this month) with former Formula 1 driver and current Mercedes DTM driver David Coulthard calling it a career. Coulthard did not enjoy the same success as Michael but did finish second in Formula 1 for Mercedes in 2001 unfortunately never securing a championship in F1 or DTM.

Coulthard has had a rough season tallying only 16 points in DTM. It is clear he knows it is time to step away. The 41 year old will be moving to the booth in a more permanent role commentating for BBC and likely keeping up his Mercedes brand ambassadorship. Congratulations to David for making to the top rung of Motorsport and competing professionally for over two decades.

Coulthard: “I am looking forward to the final race of what has been an exciting season in the DTM. The weekend will be my final opportunity to compete at this level as I will stop racing in the DTM to concentrate on my developing off-track businesses and of course my family."

Click here to enlarge