Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Tesla Model S versus BMW F10 M5 drag race - 4770 pound electric beats the twin turbo 560 horsepower M5? We call BS

The Tesla Model S is no slouch. It has run the 1/4 mile in 12.5@110 which certainly is impressive for a heavy car with 416 horsepower from its electric motor. The thing is, the new M5 makes much more horsepower and is capable of 120 mile per hour trap speeds stock. IND recently ran [email protected] in the 1/4 mile on street tires meaning on paper this is quite a mismatch and the Tesla Model S simply can not win.

Click here to enlarge

Automobile decided to drag race both cars and has the Tesla Model S win by a hair. They say it is quicker than the M5 0-100. Sorry, raising a huge BS flag here. First of all, in the video the Tesla gets a huge jump. Secondly, the M5 does not appear to use launch control. On street tires with all the M5's torque feeding the power to the rear wheels traction is the main issue. The electric has an advantage with instant torque and with a clean launch will pull nicely from down low.

The video does show what happened in that particular instance but Automobile essentially handicapped the M5 to help the Tesla Model S. If people are running high 11's in stock form in the M5 at about 10 miles per hour higher, it's clear which car is faster and quicker. Also Automobile did not provide any 1/4 mile times but just showed what was ahead at their marked off cones. It's easy to win a drag race in the Tesla Model S compared to the M5 when the Tesla gets a large jump and the M5 does not launch well. It is also possible for a Civic to beat a Ferrari 458 if the Ferrari gives the Civic a huge head start and the Ferrari sits there spinning its tires all day. Does not make the Civic the faster car.

Really Automobile? Are you this desperate for views? Anyone with even basic drag racing knowledge understands what the superior car here is 0-100 and through the 1/4 mile. And that car would be the F10 M5, 100 out of 100 times.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    We saw a Model S out on the road last weekend, having just completed the drive up Poncha Pass in south central Colorado. The Tesla was running about 50mph, which I speculate was due to an overheat or other discharge issue with the power source. Must have been embarrassing when we passed by in a measly 328i wagon.

I highly doubt the video for reasons you mentioned, but also point out that this car is only up for a glory lap/pass before the electronics protest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The guy from Automobile also throws around a 300 mile range number. The thing is that on the Tesla website it says the car is capable to hit 300 miles in range, but it does so, at 55 mph. Who the hell is going to drive that slow? I would like to find out the "true" range of that vehicle. Wonder if it can even break 200 when a person like me would drive it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    The guy from Automobile also throws around a 300 mile range number. The thing is that on the Tesla website it says the car is capable to hit 300 miles in range, but it does so, at 55 mph. Who the hell is going to drive that slow? I would like to find out the "true" range of that vehicle. Wonder if it can even break 200 when a person like me would drive it.
    In the Insideline test they really struggled to get near that range. If you drive it hard you'll drain the battery pretty fast.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do not forget that the Tesla has maximum torque from ZERO RPMs, has a lot of weight over its tires to ensure grip off the line and it does not have to change gears (it has a single-speed transmission). The scenario presented here is entirely possible. I would say the Tesla cars are a really nice step into the future, something resembling the first iPhone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    Do not forget that the Tesla has maximum torque from ZERO RPMs
    I didn't:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky
    The electric has an advantage with instant torque and with a clean launch will pull nicely from down low.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    The scenario presented here is entirely possible.
    Possible, yes. Representative of both cars performance? No.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see the test for what it is... The average M5 driver is going to do what we just saw and the Tesla S with max tq at ZERO rpm is a sneakily fast car. Meaning its gonna get in the ass of sleeping drivers and was noted as 2 out 3 times. Its not that serious IMO
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Officially the first time EVER that the F10M5 is the better sounding car in any drag race.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Tesla S is a very cool step forward. The interior control panel, in particular, melts my face. However, this comparison is nonsense. What they should have done is have a 16 year old floor the tesla and a pro driver drive the M5 perfectly - show that they are fairly close in performance. Even that is a great compliment to the S. The whole way they present this is unprofessional IMHO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder if the tesla when driven sportily will overheat like all the other tesla's lol, what a fail of a car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    I see the test for what it is... The average M5 driver is going to do what we just saw and the Tesla S with max tq at ZERO rpm is a sneakily fast car. Meaning its gonna get in the ass of sleeping drivers and was noted as 2 out 3 times. Its not that serious IMO
    The average M5 driver is going to let the Tesla S get a jump and not even launch with MDM? I doubt it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    The Tesla S is a very cool step forward. The interior control panel, in particular, melts my face. However, this comparison is nonsense. What they should have done is have a 16 year old floor the tesla and a pro driver drive the M5 perfectly - show that they are fairly close in performance. Even that is a great compliment to the S. The whole way they present this is unprofessional IMHO.
    It's definitely a cool step forward but this test is misleading.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's definitely a cool step forward but this test is misleading.
    Can't really trust any of these magazines or online tests IMO. Ultimately, they are driven by advertising dollars and popularity. These days I honestly prefer the kind of stream of consciousness reviews (Drive; Chris Harris, etc) to this pseudo-scientific garbage.

Look at Top Gear as an example. I really like that show, but their episode on the original Tesla was total bull$#@! and they got sued for it. They decided to make a "show" out of it at the expense of a real company because the truth wasn't as interesting.

In general, the media has become more about ratings than reporting - and it isn't limited to this industry as you know...politics and the news is even worse. At least these cars are just material goods being compared vs. the future of the world.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't really trust any of these magazines or online tests IMO. Ultimately, they are driven by advertising dollars and popularity. These days I honestly prefer the kind of stream of consciousness reviews (Drive; Chris Harris, etc) to this pseudo-scientific garbage.
    I have to say I'll take this, because I can figure it out for myself, over listening to Chris Harris tell me about his feelings for 10 minutes.

Look at Top Gear as an example. I really like that show, but their episode on the original Tesla was total bull$#@! and they got sued for it. They decided to make a "show" out of it at the expense of a real company because the truth wasn't as interesting.
    Exactly and I don't really like Top Gear but everyone else seems to. I see it more as entertainment than a real car show. A show with cars versus a show about cars.

In general, the media has become more about ratings than reporting - and it isn't limited to this industry as you know...politics and the news is even worse. At least these cars are just material goods being compared vs. the future of the world.
    It's ok, I'll start a weekly youtube car show and show how it's done.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The average M5 driver is going to let the Tesla S get a jump and not even launch with MDM? I doubt it.
    The average driver won't know how to use it IMO... Caught at a light and the Tesla goes WOT I see an angry M5 playing catchup
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The average driver won't know how to use it IMO... Caught at a light and the Tesla goes WOT I see an angry M5 playing catchup
    The Tesla is much closer to an E92 M3 and I guarantee you I would show that electric my taillights from a stop in a stock DCT.

The average M5 driver isn't retarded. The video is very misleading.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL... It just not that deep
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL... It just not that deep
    Whatever, 120 trap cars aren't losing to 107-110 trap cars.