Close

Thread: Tuning and ROI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Tuning and ROI

So I know alot of people on this forum are interested in tuning their vehicle. It is quite a fun hobby, but I realized that it is an expensive one.

Now, I had my 335i as my daily driver, and I liked to purchase something new (in terms of tuning) once to twice a year. Each purchase would be >$1K. I ended up spending at least $8K on the car within 3 years, and you know what, I had serious buyers remorse come time to sell the car.

I felt like I simply would have had more money in the bank, and although I enjoyed the extra power, the n54 with its HPFP was a looming threat in my mind and I hated it. I also had to remove the piggy and DCI every time it wanted to go to the dealer and honestly, I always wished I had kept it stock.

NOW, what do most of you guys think and why? Am I an isolated case or do most people feel the same way... and is it possible that upping the horsepower on a car like that can be an addiction?
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would say on this site you will be in the minority. I will have spent several tens of thousands of dollars into my 240sx when I'm done and I never expect to get any of it back nor care too. It is something I enjoy and I feel I work to hard not to be able to have a hobby. Same with my 550i I purchased it and have literally spent 3 days with the car even though I got it in January, I'm tuning it before I even got a chance to really drive it or get to know it. It's what I like and I won't expect the car back for another 4 months or so. Would I have more money in the bank if I didn't tune these cars? Of course! Do I really need a 1000HP 2300lb car? Of course not!! But I love working on it and having a project.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well it really depends people, some people do whatever to modify their cars. Look at Sticky, spending big amount of money and also losing the car for about a year. That kind of people never satisfy with their cars and always want more, as I'm sure Sticky will again do something different on his after awhile.
    or look at guys like Mert or Taza or LM, they are struggling for getting more and more, maybe to you and me it looks pointless but to them it's important as eating.

I used to modify my cars, I was this much close(1 mm) to spend $40K just for a supercharger kit but something happened and prevented me, that moment i thought "damn, I'm really unlucky" but now i think i was lucky because fortunately my line of thinking has changed since then.

You are not isolated, at least i think the same way too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    not the site or hobby for you then lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dont worry about it bud, your car is already faster than half the cars on this site. To each their own.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Jim, I suppose you are right. I don't think I am in the majority here, but I still think of tuning my car, just differently this time.

Sorena, the example you said is what I mean! I loved the rush, and the satisfaction, but I feel like sometimes, it is not worth the extra 10hp. I am definitely going to tune the V, but I think I will go with a 650/700 hp package and not hassle with looking for parts on my own. In other words, I enjoyed it much more before, when alot of my friends were tuning. Really, we were one-upping each other each time.

I think when I have much more cash to spare, I will be able to modify without thinking too much on the money I shell out.

Bren, I'd take offense to that, but I am not really going anywhere, whether it's my hobby or not.
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I went nuts on my car and spent 10's of thousands. Do I have remorse? Not really, the only thing I regret is not driving it for a year. I'm hoping it will all be worth it once complete and I will have the baddest M3 on the planet.

It's worth it for me due to the forum and having a car for promotional purposes.

Will I do this again? No, never.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alq80 Click here to enlarge
    Jim, I suppose you are right. I don't think I am in the majority here, but I still think of tuning my car, just differently this time.

Sorena, the example you said is what I mean! I loved the rush, and the satisfaction, but I feel like sometimes, it is not worth the extra 10hp. I am definitely going to tune the V, but I think I will go with a 650/700 hp package and not hassle with looking for parts on my own. In other words, I enjoyed it much more before, when alot of my friends were tuning. Really, we were one-upping each other each time.

I think when I have much more cash to spare, I will be able to modify without thinking too much on the money I shell out.

Bren, I'd take offense to that, but I am not really going anywhere, whether it's my hobby or not.
    Your CTS-V will cost much less to get big power out of reliably vs. the N54. It's a WAY better power platform, not even close.

I also have an American cars section for you now Click here to enlarge Still working on getting all the thread moved and setting up the prefixes, but I'm trying to accommodate everyone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I went nuts on my car and spent 10's of thousands. Do I have remorse? Not really, the only thing I regret is not driving it for a year. I'm hoping it will all be worth it once complete and I will have the baddest M3 on the planet.

It's worth it for me due to the forum and having a car for promotional purposes.

Will I do this again? No, never.
    AHA! this is exactly what I am talking about!! I feel the same way (I did not spend 10s of thousands, and I totally understand it, and appreciate every bit of it) in that although I spent the cash, and loved every moment, I would not repeat the same thing if time went back.

and thanks for the american section haha, I have a feeling I will be tuning the 997TT before the V, and I hope this forum expands to cover all cars, because the rep system is just amazing. No nasty politics involved with a forum is good.

And yes, while the n54 was extreme fun, the reliability part I was not 100% on. I am approaching it differently this time in that I am going to really research before doing anything.
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alq80 Click here to enlarge
    AHA! this is exactly what I am talking about!! I feel the same way (I did not spend 10s of thousands, and I totally understand it, and appreciate every bit of it) in that although I spent the cash, and loved every moment, I would not repeat the same thing if time went back.

and thanks for the american section haha, I have a feeling I will be tuning the 997TT before the V, and I hope this forum expands to cover all cars, because the rep system is just amazing. No nasty politics involved with a forum is good.

And yes, while the n54 was extreme fun, the reliability part I was not 100% on. I am approaching it differently this time in that I am going to really research before doing anything.
    you got a 997TT too!?!?
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it's very possible that modding is a real addition; and I'm the latest victim.

I'm in my early 30's, and never considered modding a car before. I used to read Max Power Magazine back in my teen years in the UK, but never actually modded a car of my own, beyond a sticker or cheesy spoiler.

Ever since I got my 335i -- I wanted a tune. I told myself a tune would be all I'd ever need, much more.

But it's not. Now I've had a taste, I want more -- I already added a DCI, and have a meth kit, charge pipe and bov on order. I'm also fairly sure that within a few weeks of driving that, I'll be ordering an intercooler, downpipes and exhaust! Then, maybe upgraded turbos.

It's fun though. The only non-fun part is explaining my latest purchases to my wife Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a fun hobby, expensive, and it has its ups and downs.

Main thing is if you don't have the money don't do it. And know as soon as you spend it that money is gone, you won't recover it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's a fun hobby, expensive, and it has its ups and downs.

Main thing is if you don't have the money don't do it. And know as soon as you spend it that money is gone, you won't recover it.
    Partial, maybe 1/4 lol
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Fastgti, my dad has the turbo (it's 997.1)! I was explaining to him what we should do Ajd he liked it..

Yeah I guess I'm not exactly alone. I'm glad I got the taste the way I did... And sticky you raise a good point; if you don't got the money don't spend it. I know alot of people who dig themselves into a rut. My friend recently kleemann supercharged his clk55amg... Price was close to $12k... He ended up pay

Are n54s still at a plateau?
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    What up guys, just bought an 07 sparkling graphite 335I AT. I been searching the boards for a few days now and i figured out most of what to buy, i ordered a JB2, interior light upgrade (LED) and exterior lighting upgrade (8500's) for the car, still looking for a used dual cone intake. (and im still looking for Nav CD as i bought this used not from a bmw dealer.. hint hint...) is there anything i need to know about my any of these items? anything at all?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS Click here to enlarge
    I think he's looking to go the budget route. We sold him a used JB2 for $50. Click here to enlarge
    exactly! i had a 99 Lightning with over $7500 invested in mods and ended up-side down trading it in, so im just doing simple, cheap/effective stuff so i can pay this off faster, the performance of the car is already incredible so im not worried about racing. im already on the higher end of my budget with this car and only bought it cause i just came back from my 3rd tour overseas and have some extra $$ saved up.
    As a man, its inherent to want to customize and improve anything you own. It wont stop, regardless of whether you do it little by little or all at once Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As a man, its inherent to want to customize and improve anything you own. It wont stop, regardless of whether you do it little by little or all at once Click here to enlarge
    so much for budget modding haha your car is badass. The only thing left for it to do is win beauty pageants
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    after its all full of "GO", ill repaint and redo the interior for the "SHOW" Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    we definitely need to work some things out with your car LM..

I got out of my BMW because I didnt want a car payment. I havent driven my E28 in months due to lack of interest at the moment and some other personal things on the agenda that have taken the spotlight (and also the fact I killed the fuel pumps in it)..plus I wanted to get out of debt faster. The car owes me nothing...do I miss driving it? sure....but the AC doesnt work and the heatercore leaks, and the wheels arent hubcentric...so in this weather, I dont wanna drive it. But give it a year or so and I think I will have it set up just right..

Now that I practically owe nothing, I have been saving on the side for both the car AND a ring.....Ive been meaning to pop the question but its just a matter of timing it right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if it werent for BMS fantastic policy of underpricing, underpromising and over-delivering, I wouldnt be where I am right now Click here to enlarge

sure, when its time to get out of the car and get something different, it sucks because i did spend so much $$. but at the same time, ive put 40k FUN miles on it, brought me to events and places to hang out with great people and have wonderful experiences and keeps me out of trouble (mostly) from doing other things. so in the long run, you just have to think back about why you did it and how much fun you had doing it and with it.

i mean, lately i was thinking about getting out of my car and getting the M, and it meant id have to do so much work to go back to stock, try and sell the parts and recoup some $, and the total i paid for all my parts and labor could have easily went to other things. but as long as your not hurting yourslef or family financially by doing it then its all good.

you cant take the money with you when you die, and you dont know when that will be Click here to enlarge