Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Car and Driver compares the 2011 Jaguar XJL Supercharged, BMW F01 750LI, and Audi A8L. BMW in last place?

Being a performance oriented site, we will focus a bit on the performance numbers Car and Driver achieved. That said, we are a little bit surprised with this result. The Audi finishes in first place and the BMW 750 winds up in last. Even with its twin turbo V8 the BMW gets beat by all three competitors to 60 and barely edges out the Audi through the 1/4 for second. Being the heaviest obviously didn't help the 750 and it also put up the weakest showing around the skidpad.

The Audi does not even have its new turbo V8, relying on its very long in the tooth 4.2 liter V8. Yet it still shows favorably vs. the 750. How the Audi, being the longest car and saddled with all wheel drive, manages to be 250 pounds lighter than the 7 series we have no clue. To also get outhandled by both competitors? Car and Driver said it was the worst drivers car out of all three. A BMW? What is going on? Check out this quote:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Car and Driver
    When a BMW is outdriven by a Jag, there’s trouble in Munich.
    Trouble indeed. The Jaguar is no slouch, being the fastest of the 3 as well as the lightest. That is commendable and props to Jaguar for giving the best blend of performance, weight, and luxury. This used to be BMW's forte. The Jaguar seems to be more BMW than the BMW:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Car and Driver
    This is the steering and chassis the BMW should have, though it would be better with a dose of  BMW refinement.
    This brings us to the first place Audi. We do not agree with Car and Driver's result, not whatsoever. Considering the Jaguar's dominance through its performance numbers and having the lowest curb weight, it is the car we would choose. Especially when the results favor the Audi by 1 point, performance should be the deciding factor especially considering just how much faster the Jag is. Car and Driver put an emphasis on the interior and fit and finish of the Audi over the performance of the Jaguar. We bet one can deal with the Jaguar interior and finish just fine, especially when there is a supercharged 5.0 liter V8 to entertain you.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes , F01 is so fat and should lose weight, it's steering is vague, the new electronic stuff suck but there is something really bugs me. in MT comparison 740i came in 1st, but the V8 version lost by 12 points? is the V8 that bad ?
    My old man is a fan of old school BMW and drives a 3.0 CSi, 740i is the only car in the current BMW lineup that got OK from him

Sorena

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Yes , F01 is so fat and should lose weight, it's steering is vague, the new electronic stuff suck but there is something really bugs me. in MT comparison 740i came in 1st, but the V8 version lost by 12 points? is the V8 that bad ?
    My old man is a fan of old school BMW and drives a 3.0 CSi, 740i is the only car in the current BMW lineup that got OK from him

Sorena
    I don't understand how the BMW could have shown so poorly. The BMW being the heaviest and most vague? They need to get their $#@! together.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't understand how the BMW could have shown so poorly. The BMW being the heaviest and most vague? They need to get their $#@! together.
    yeah, new BMW cars are so heavy, it kills everything good in car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, that's the first C&D comparison I've seen where BMW doesn't come in first. However, that XJL is sexy, and 0-60 in 4.4 secs? DAMN that is fast!

I can't imagine if they decide to make an XJL-R

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Wow, that's the first C&D comparison I've seen where BMW doesn't come in first. However, that XJL is sexy, and 0-60 in 4.4 secs? DAMN that is fast!

you have to see it in person, while the front is so gorgeous the tail isn't that pretty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    you have to see it in person, while the front is so gorgeous the tail isn't that pretty.
    I have, and while the tail is longer than it should be, it still looks gorgeous Click here to enlarge

To each his own though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge

The XJL supercharged is essentially like an XJR.

Yes, it's performance is pretty impressive especially against these two. I would have given a bigger bonus for that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah, should've caught that one. Either way, I need to sit in/drive one to really get a feel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All this is subjective, it's to each it's own, I personally think that the BMW is the top of all!!! Not being Biased but let's look at durability, enginuity and overall engineering! BMWs have been the benchmark of almost all or most companies out there! They have always something to prove against BMW. And the numbers as in power and torque etc... all it is.........that BMW is being conservative . what if they decided to really beef up their tune on the 7 series, and ave a different transmission? etc.... you know? Audi.......eeehhhhh, I had a few and not my cup of tea, Jaguar....never had one but driven a few and whatever, and BMW, had numerous and it is still and will always be the benchmark or the competition of other manufacturers!!! Look at ford!!! hahahahah they decided to put their mustang 5.0 against the M3, OK.... whatever, a you serious???? , but that was a stock 6 speed M3, not the DCT, amd 0.6 more liters etc.. etc... I'm not going to get into this subject, because when it comes to American made and European made, I have my preference!! And we all can contest what are the best built vehicles out there!!!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMtroubleYOU Click here to enlarge
    All this is subjective, it's to each it's own, I personally think that the BMW is the top of all!!! Not being Biased but let's look at durability, enginuity and overall engineering! BMWs have been the benchmark of almost all or most companies out there!
    BMW has fallen a bit. They were the benchmark, now they are clinging to it. They have lost focus with all this i-brand and efficient junk. They should concentrate on what they know how to do, the ultimate driving machine.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMtroubleYOU Click here to enlarge
    And the numbers as in power and torque etc... all it is.........that BMW is being conservative . what if they decided to really beef up their tune on the 7 series, and ave a different transmission?
    What if they did? Jag didn't set around waiting, they built a much stronger, lighter, and more nimble car that actually pushes the design envelope further. BMW needs to add more power because the car is so freaking heavy. When is the last time an all wheel drive Audi was lighter than a BMW?