Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Technicality of future BMW's

I was curious as to what other enthusiast's think of the technicality of future BMW's. Being a E46 M3 owner and having that nice naturally aspirated I6 is super nice and IMO sort of low tech. I will say that owning a SMG transmission and having more moving parts with the possibility of it failing is dishearting., but I do have the funds for repairs available. Now with BMW going full FI with turbos and also the DCT on many cars I can possibility see that owning one of future cars of BMW can be a real nightmare should something break. I haven't seen many owners on the forums that I browse that are completely fixing and working on their cars 100%. Most owners I would say are using OEM BMW dealerships or independent BMW/Euro repair facilities. My question is BMW getting too technical for its own good? Take for example a twin turbo V8, DCT powered X5M most of these vehicles are in the 100k range new, in 4 short years the OEM BMW warranty/maintenance agreement with be long gone. In 2014 besides the dealership, where would one take such a vehicle for repair? Do you guys think that independent repair shops will find and have available the technical equipment to read fault codes, find repair parts, and have the trained technical know how to fix such a machine? I'm wondering if the future M Series that is going FI will be too much of a hassle to own out of warranty in the future. I have heard on many BMW forums that owning an AMG out of warranty is something they wouldn't wish on their worst enemy, will BMW soon be the same way? Thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The modern cars are getting to the level where you can't do everything yourself.

That is just natural with modern, sophisticated cars. You can still do the basic mechanical stuff yourself but experts are necessary for particular areas now.

BMW also designs the cars and service intervals for people with leases and the warranty.

Just because of FI it won't necessarily make it far more difficult just because of that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To me it seems that we are coming to a point where cars aren't expected to last. At least that seems to be the case with Euro cars where they have the 4 year 50k warranty but after that it becomes a toss away item. That to me is a big pill when it comes to cars in the 60-75k range like a M3. I personally am guilty of buying and selling cars in a short window, but now that I'm getting a little older and more responsible I would like to focus on the joy of ownership when it comes to higher end cars. That joy IMO can disappear quickly should I buy something out of warranty in the future and get stuck with a 10-15k blown engine especially on a twin turbo V8. I know the next comment from someone is to buy a Honda ect, but in all seriousness don't others see the potential negativity here? My understanding is that BMW has proprietary information on some fault codes and other diagnostic procedures for repairs. If nobody but the BMW tech knows how to fix things where does that leave the tuners, performance developers and guys like use that like to modify our cars in the future? I'm curious to see the direction of Tuner Company’s in the future.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, BMW essentially is creating dealer dependency with the new models as independent mechanics won't have the tools/tech necessary to deal with everything.

The cars will last... but the repair bills will certainly mount. This will be reflected in the cost of the car in the used market. Look at M5's out of their warranty period and what they are worth.