Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

2011 135i vs Pontiac G8 GT

The following may or may not have happened,...professionals, closed course...and all that bs..... Click here to enlarge

Recently ran a G8 GT from 60 to about 120mph, it was quite close. He got the jump and put his exhaust in my ear. He just sat there until about 100mph after which I started to pull on him. Click here to enlarge
    Both cars are stock. I probably had 50 to 100 more lbs of interior load than the G8.

I have the DCT and started the run in M3 with the sport setting on. I’d say the difference came down to my quicker shifts and the fact that I was punching a smaller hole in the air over 100mph.

I know the G8's owner very well and I have to say the G8 is a great car. Sad it's gone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What does the G8 GT have under the hood?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What does the G8 GT have under the hood?
    GT's pack a 6.0 liter pushrod V8 rated at 361hp and 385 lb-ft and a 6-speed auto trans. Good power, but it's a 4,000lb car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought the G8 made more power than that?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aquaskr Click here to enlarge
    GT's pack a 6.0 liter pushrod V8 rated at 361hp and 385 lb-ft and a 6-speed auto trans. Good power, but it's a 4,000lb car.
    So an LS2 variant?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I thought the G8 made more power than that?
    361hp for the GT and it is only available with a 6sp auto. I've heard they put anywhere between 310 and 330 hp to the rear wheels.

However, there is a GXP variant with a LS3 pumping out 415hp and 415 ft-lbs. Only the GXP could be had with a 6 spd manual.

So an LS2 variant?
    Yes. They call it a L76. Apparently the heads and intake are great and the engine has a lot of potential. Also has the cylinder deactivation aka "active fuel management."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been in a GXP and they feel pretty good. Kind of like a lazy Corvette. I wouldn't want to pay for one though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree. The GT is a deal at $30k.

I can't get as excited about the GXP (maybe a really heavy, but pratical corvette?) at $40k.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't get excited about anything with a Pontiac badge. It's a large displacement motor sitting in a heap of plastic. Hardly an engineering marvel, IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
    I can't get excited about anything with a Pontiac badge. It's a large displacement motor sitting in a heap of plastic. Hardly an engineering marvel, IMO.
    That sentiment is exactly why it’s a shame that these cars came out right before Pontiac’s death. Too little too late!!!

You are right in that plastic crap is what defined a Pontiac for the last 20 years. The G8 is different and was a huge improvement over typical GM quality. You have to see one in person to appreciate it. Maybe that’s because it’s really a Holden.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That sentiment is exactly why it’s a shame that these cars came out right before Pontiac’s death. Too little too late!!!

You are right in that plastic crap is what defined a Pontiac for the last 20 years. The G8 is different and was a huge improvement over typical GM quality. You have to see one in person to appreciate it. Maybe that’s because it’s really a Holden.
    Seen tons of them in person. I lived in Michigan when they were released. The interiors still look and feel cheap and lacking any semblance of modern technology, which is part of the reason a lot of consumers steered clear of GM for the last 10 years. The game changed, but GM refused to conform...and look what happened. Now, post bankruptcy they are making their Caddys and Buicks look a little more on par with the rest of the automotive world (I still wouldn't dare purchase either).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As they say..."you get what you pay for."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's not so much that I'd pay for the GT over the GXP, I just don't think the GXP or the GT are worth their respective amount of money. The interior was way too spacious, felt like I was sitting in a newer Mustang, like I was in a boat with really high walls. The sound quality was not nearly as good as the "premium" BMW system. Steering feel was decent, but the stock tires sucked, and it is tuned for understeer just like the 135i, but worse.

But the main deciding factor, 4,000lbs. You can feel them no matter what you try and do. Take that 400hp and put it in a C5 Z06, feels MUCH more fun!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1 on the feeling of the new mustang. I drove the new 5.0 and I just hated the feel of everyting other than the drivetrain. Huge car with less usable interior space and cargo than my 135. Views outside were horrible...not Camaro horrible, but horrible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I still don't understand why people compare German sports cars to American sports cars. It's an apple and oranges comparison in every respect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1 on the feeling of the new mustang. I drove the new 5.0 and I just hated the feel of everyting other than the drivetrain. Huge car with less usable interior space and cargo than my 135. Views outside were horrible...not Camaro horrible, but horrible.
    Wow, I agree with you on the Camero. Haven't got to try the 5.0 yet. Wish they had a different chassis for that motor though. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
    I still don't understand why people compare German sports cars to American sports cars. It's an apple and oranges comparison in every respect.
    The Americans are getting better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Americans are getting better.
    In a way. The new motors are good. The suspension tuning on the new 5.0 w/track pack is apparently good enough to keep up with a M3.

Weight is killing them. The Camaro, Charger, Challenger, and all new Mustang variations are too heavy.

The 04 Cobra weighed what though, 3100lbs? The new Mustang weighing 3600 - 4000lbs is kind of ridiculous for a sports car..... affordable or not.

My friend's truck, which has an iron block and 4WD, manufactured in 1994, only weighs 2800lbs! Even the new STI, which got fatter over the previous generation, is only around 3400lbs with AWD and four doors! The back seats are pretty roomy too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    The 04 Cobra weighed what though, 3100lbs?
    3700. Even the Cobra R was 3500 or so.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Even the new STI, which got fatter over the previous generation, is only around 3400lbs with AWD and four doors!
    True, but the STI does not really feel solid. These American cars sure do feel that way and the Americans never made lightweight cars. They are big, heavy, torque monsters. It is a different kind of feeling and as long as they are that heavy and nose heavy they will never be balanced like the Europeans.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Americans never made lightweight cars. They are big, heavy, torque monsters. It is a different kind of feeling and as long as they are that heavy and nose heavy they will never be balanced like the Europeans.
    I hate to keep blowing the G8's horn, but its weight distribution is 51:49 front to rear...just like our beloved BMWs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hate to keep blowing the G8's horn, but its weight distribution is 51:49 front to rear...just like our beloved BMWs.
    That's fine, that is a good point. Unfortunately the Cobra and the others do not follow suit.

The Z06 is a great example of an American sports car that is light and well balanced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no video?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inter1032 Click here to enlarge
    no video?
    We have been spoiled by the youtube age. You can not always have a video of when you run someone, especially if just by change you run into them on the street. Hence why some of these are stories Click here to enlarge