Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Comparison: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Automatic vs. 2020 Ford Mustang GT500 CFTP

The ZL1 1LE Automatic is the Camaro that has to be compared to the new Mustang GT500 simply because it is the highest performance Camaro GM makes. The new GT500 breathes fire though and the LT4 V8 is simply outgunned here (why not an LT5 Camaro GM?).

Click here to enlarge

We will give the Camaro props for offering a manual. However, if the choice came down to manual and automatic options or a dual clutch, well, give me the dual clutch transmission.

Car and Driver chooses the Camaro because of its value. If you want value do not equip the GT500 with the $18.5k Carbon Fiber Track Package. For that money you get carbon fiber wheels, a more aggressive body kit, rear seat delete, and better rubber. Do not fault Ford for giving you the option.

If this is about performance, the GT500 simply wins. Although the ZL1 does impress with more grip on the skidpad. The ZL1 also weighs less although a 3886 pound curb weight is nothing to brag about.

Sorry Car and Driver, you got this wrong. The GT500 is the hottest American muscle car on the market right now. The keyword being muscle.

Click here to enlarge

Specifications

2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
    VEHICLE TYPE
    front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe
    PRICE AS TESTED
    $75,985 (base price: $72,195)
    ENGINE TYPE
    supercharged and intercooled pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
    Displacement
    376 cu in, 6162 cc
    Power
    650 hp @ 6400 rpm
    Torque
    650 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm
    TRANSMISSION
    10-speed automatic
    CHASSIS
    Suspension (F/R): struts/multilink
    Brakes (F/R): 15.4-in vented disc/14.4-in vented disc
    Tires: Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3R, F: 305/30R-19 (98Y) TPC, R: 325/30R-19 (101Y) TPC
    DIMENSIONS
    Wheelbase: 110.7 in
    Length: 188.3 in
    Width: 74.7 in
    Height: 52.0 in
    Passenger volume: 83 cu ft
    Trunk volume: 9 cu ft
    Curb weight: 3886 lb
    C/D
    TEST RESULTS
    Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
    60 mph: 3.4 sec
    100 mph: 7.4 sec
    150 mph: 19.2 sec
    Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 3.7 sec
    Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.8 sec
    Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.1 sec
    ¼-mile: 11.5 sec @ 124 mph
    Top speed (mfr's claim): 190 mph
    Braking, 70–0 mph: 137 ft
    Braking, 100–0 mph: 268 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.17 g
    C/D
    FUEL ECONOMY
    Observed: 14 mpg
    EPA FUEL ECONOMY
    Combined/city/highway: 16/13/21 mpg

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
    VEHICLE TYPE
    front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
    PRICE AS TESTED
    $93,870 (base price: $73,995)
    ENGINE TYPE
    supercharged and intercooled DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
    Displacement
    315 cu in, 5163 cc
    Power
    760 hp @ 7500 rpm
    Torque
    625 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
    TRANSMISSION
    7-speed dual-clutch automatic
    CHASSIS
    Suspension (F/R): struts/multilink
    Brakes (F/R): 16.5-in vented disc/14.5-in vented disc
    Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, F: 305/30R-20 (103Y) FP, R: 315/30R-20 (104Y) FP
    DIMENSIONS
    Wheelbase: 107.0 in
    Length: 190.2 in
    Width: 76.6 in
    Height: 53.8 in
    Passenger volume: 55 cu ft
    Trunk volume: 14 cu ft
    Curb weight: 4059 lb
    C/D
    TEST RESULTS
    Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
    60 mph: 3.6 sec
    100 mph: 7.1 sec
    150 mph: 15.1 sec
    Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.1 sec
    Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.9 sec
    Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.1 sec
    ¼-mile: 11.4 sec @ 132 mph
    Top speed (mfr's claim): 180 mph
    Braking, 70–0 mph: 142 ft
    Braking, 100–0 mph: 279 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.13 g
    C/D
    FUEL ECONOMY
    Observed: 13 mpg
    EPA FUEL ECONOMY
    Combined/city/highway: 14/12/18 mpg
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That almost seems like they’re on Chevy’s payroll. They probably gave the Camaro more points for better gas mileage.

Look at that 0-150 time! Seems like more than 110HP difference.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This article on C & D reminded me of a 12 round heavy weight boxing championship fight between two elite boxers. Prior to the comparison test, everyone knew the Mustang made substantially more power than the Camaro. No surprises there. What is surprising to me is that the Camaro won some rounds in this contest! Ford had 7 years to make this car and make sure that it beat the Camaro in every single performance metric. I mean, a supercharged 5.2L V8 of DOHC 32 valve goodness, DCT, carbon fiber wheels, rear seat delete, etc. This car should own that Camaro in every single way. Period! The Camaro should not be winning any performance metric against this Mustang. As much as I like the Mustang, Ford messed up on the car - kind of the way they messed up in their Ford GT coming out with a V6 engine!
    If I had to buy one of these two cars today, based on the information I’m seeing in this comparison test, I would get the Camaro. I’d save almost $20,000 on the price of the car that I can use on mods, and I’d buy mine with a manual transmission. Chevrolet needs to man up, grow a pair, and put that C7 ZR1 LT5 motor, transmission, and drivetrain into the Camaro.
    On a separate note, these cars need to start being offered with all-wheel drive. The truth of the matter is either one of these cars would have a hard time keeping up with a Nissan GTR, BMW M5, Benz E63 on the street. Unless you live by the highway doing highway pulls all day long from 60mph+, you have no chance against the awd high powered cars on the street.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It was very close but in my opinion, the Camaro won this comparison test when you factor in the performance metrics it won, and what you get for the price of the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The camaro won because it’s a parts-bin special that allows them to price it $20k below the Mustang. Parts bin engine, transmission, etc. Not saying they aren’t good parts (on an excellent chassis), but it’s a bean counter’s car first. The Mustang has a unique engine (yes, leveraged from the voodoo, itself a unique engine), unique transmission (on par with Porsche’s), carbon fiber wheels, etc. It’s much more special. For me, the $20k premium is a no brainer. C&D is just trying to remain relevant with a “shocking” winner.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
    It was very close but in my opinion, the Camaro won this comparison test when you factor in the performance metrics it won, and what you get for the price of the car.
    They didn't have to option the GT500 for an extra 18k...
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As much as I like the Mustang, Ford messed up on the car
    How?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    The camaro won because it’s a parts-bin special that allows them to price it $20k below the Mustang. Parts bin engine, transmission, etc. Not saying they aren’t good parts (on an excellent chassis), but it’s a bean counter’s car first. The Mustang has a unique engine (yes, leveraged from the voodoo, itself a unique engine), unique transmission (on par with Porsche’s), carbon fiber wheels, etc. It’s much more special. For me, the $20k premium is a no brainer. C&D is just trying to remain relevant with a “shocking” winner.

-Rich
    Whether it be a Parts Bin Special or having a unique engine, isn't it still about performance? And as much as we hate to admit it, price and cost is part of the equation. Performance per dollar. If you don't know what I'm talking about, please feel free to check out the 2020 Nissan GTR Nismo. It has unique materials and a unique engine, and only costs $213,000+ and offers equivalent or worse performance than the Camaro or Mustang.
    Despite the $18,500 CFTP on the Mustang that includes carbon fiber wheels (exotic "unique" materials), the Camaro is still accelerating better from a dig, is pulling more Gs on the skid pad, and braking better! The shocking thing here is that the Camaro is doing all this with it's parts bin special. Ford had 7 years to develop and build the Mustang. Did Ford forget to benchmark the Camaro (it's main rival) against the Mustang during development? Ford had time to develop this Mustang. There is absolutely no excuse on why the Camaro should perform this well against the Mustang.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you don’t understand why the Camaro wins from a dig, I’m not sure I can help you. Skid pad and braking (and traction from a dig) are largely driven by tires (and weight). The Camaro apparently rides like $#@! which is likely helping it in the skid pad too. In the end, let’s see them around a track. And from a roll. And with equal tires from a dig. My money is on the GT500 in all those instances.

And that 7-years they spent developing a bunch of unique parts and innovating. Chevy was clearly spending their money on the C8 (which is innovative for sure).

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They didn't have to option the GT500 for an extra 18k...
    The CFTP improves performance. In my opinion, they could have used cheaper materials on the Carbon Fiber wheels then used the savings to put wider wheels or tires on the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Last edited by Batman; 01-18-2020 at 09:59 PM. Reason: edit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you don’t understand why the Camaro wins from a dig, I’m not sure I can help you. Skid pad and braking (and traction from a dig) are largely driven by tires (and weight). The Camaro apparently rides like $#@! which is likely helping it in the skid pad too. In the end, let’s see them around a track. And from a roll. And with equal tires from a dig. My money is on the GT500 in all those instances.

And that 7-years they spent developing a bunch of unique parts and innovating. Chevy was clearly spending their money on the C8 (which is innovative for sure).

-Rich
    In a performance oriented sports or track car, what is the point of innovation and unique parts if it doesn’t improve performance over your competitors or closest rival? If you’re going to innovate and you have 7 years to do so, you make damn sure you dominate the competition. No excuses! Prior to this comparison test, I was all in on the Mustang, despite it costing almost $20,000 more. I still wish it was offered with a manual transmission but I was willing to overlook that fact. In my opinion, the CFTP is a joke considering the performance to dollar benefit. When you analyze the details of the CFTP, part of the improved performance over the non-CFTP Mustang is attributed to the Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 2 tires and rear seat delete. The non-CFTP Mustang has a back seat and runs Michelin Pilot 4S tires. If the non-CFTP ran the same Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 2 tires, I believe the performance difference would be less.
    Wait a minute. We’re looking at a comparison test of two track monsters duking it out against each other to determine which car offers the ultimate performance, and you’re more concerned about the Mustang having a “Cadillac” ride compared to the Camaro??? Yeah. Right. Got it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    and you’re more concerned about the Mustang having a “Cadillac” ride compared to the Camaro??? Yeah. Right. Got it!
    Click here to enlarge I see reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I said nothing about the Mustang’s ride and specifically said I’d prefer a track test.

And just to make your head explode, show me a stock ZL1 putting down these numbers:

https://www.boostaddict.com/showthre...1-4-mile-stock

https://www.boostaddict.com/showthre...66-132-96-pass

The car is anything but a disappointment and in another league compared to the ZL1.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cost/Performance ratio, aka Price/Performance ratio. You have no clue what I'm talking about, do you? It's okay. Keep on going. I won't interrupt you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Camaro is still accelerating better from a dig, is pulling more Gs on the skid pad, and braking better!
    How do you know it's not the rubber?

The GT500 is obviously much quicker and faster. The Camaro isn't accelerating better. It just has to pray for traction and having driven an LT4 that motor is impossible to put the power down with.

The Ford is the better performer although Chevy deserves credit for the skidpad figure. Even so, it won't win around the track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The CFTP improves performance. In my opinion, they could have used cheaper materials on the Carbon Fiber wheels then used the savings to put wider wheels or tires on the car.
    The wheels are wide enough. I'll take the lower rotational inertia which adds up over a lap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cost/Performance ratio, aka Price/Performance ratio. You have no clue what I'm talking about, do you? It's okay. Keep on going. I won't interrupt you.
    Without the CFTP the GT500 offers a better performance per dollar ratio.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The wheels are wide enough. I'll take the lower rotational inertia which adds up over a lap.
    the comparisons I’ve seen the 1le beats the gt500 around the road course...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    there’s been a couple track comparisons made that Ive seen and the ZLE bests the gt500 on the road course. I also find it weird Ford hasn’t posted any official Nurburgring times in the gt500.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Newguy123 Click here to enlarge
    the comparisons I’ve seen the 1le beats the gt500 around the road course...
    Which ones?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Newguy123 Click here to enlarge
    I also find it weird Ford hasn’t posted any official Nurburgring times in the gt500.
    Domestic manufacturers don't treat the Nurburgring the way they used to. It's a huge expense.

Dodge never ran the Viper on the Nurburgring but crushed every domestic record.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Which ones?

this review above they stated the gt500 is on some pretty used tires in the video, The guy who owns the ZLE did a write up and stated the ZLE was also also on some pretty “used” rear tires for that comparison but new fronts. There was also a race that wasn’t shown here between the zle and the gt500 that this guy shows here, talks about some of the things not mentioned in the comparison.

There’s another review/test I saw if the two where the camaro just edged it out I’ll post it up when i find it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah that’s a fair point!

Domestic manufacturers don't treat the Nurburgring the way they used to. It's a huge expense.

Dodge never ran the Viper on the Nurburgring but crushed every domestic record.