Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Lotus Esprit returning? Lotus expected to launch V6 hybrid mid-engine sports car

The Esprit name is legendary. Lotus was doing lightweight mid-engine flat plane crank twin turbo V8 sports cars years before McLaren thought it would be cool. A new Esprit has everyone's attention but don't hold your breath.

Click here to enlarge

Lotus makes big promises and rarely delivers. If anything, reports coming from British sources just seem to be bragging about Lotus with little substance.

Believe this if you want to:

Expected to be shown in the first half of next year before going on sale in the following months, the new Lotus will revive the format of the Esprit as a Ferrari-baiting super sports car with a price set in the low six figures. Like that iconic model, it will be intended to retain the Norfolk brand’s celebrated driving dynamics while offering increased everyday usability and refinement over existing models.
    Oh, a Ferrari beating Lotus with a value price point? Sure. We'll believe it when we see it.

Where are the test mules? Where is the actual engineering being showcased? Where are the specs? What we have is speculation.

Autocar's report includes a lot of wishful thinking and let's just say we doubt a Ferrari beater from Lotus will show up next year.

Source
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Oh, a Ferrari beating Lotus with a value price point? Sure. We'll believe it when we see it.
    Definitely wishful thinking but not entirely out of the realm of possibility. The current Lotus Exige 430 has a power to weight ratio of within 0.5 lb/hp of the 488 GTB. Komo-tec has made ~490 BHP out of that 3.5 S/C motor on stock internals and >500 with a built engine. Considering the 1000 lb curb weight difference I think there's more than enough room for Lotus to maneuver in there.

Swap out the S/C for TT, forged pistons/rods from the factory and you could easily see 600+ BHP from that 3.5, let alone if they add a hybrid system on top.

Now do I actually expect them to do any of this? Absolutely not. They should stick to what they're good at. Building pure, unrivaled drivers cars in an age where no one else does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    Definitely wishful thinking but not entirely out of the realm of possibility. The current Lotus Exige 430 has a power to weight ratio of within 0.5 lb/hp of the 488 GTB. Komo-tec has made ~490 BHP out of that 3.5 S/C motor on stock internals and >500 with a built engine. Considering the 1000 lb curb weight difference I think there's more than enough room for Lotus to maneuver in there.

Swap out the S/C for TT, forged pistons/rods from the factory and you could easily see 600+ BHP from that 3.5, let alone if they add a hybrid system on top.

Now do I actually expect them to do any of this? Absolutely not. They should stick to what they're good at. Building pure, unrivaled drivers cars in an age where no one else does.
    Right but we're talking about a brand new ground-up hybrid V6 mid-engine car here not one of their older platforms tweaked.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Right but we're talking about a brand new ground-up hybrid V6 mid-engine car here not one of their older platforms tweaked.
    They're British...I'm expecting a tweaked Evora platform if this car ever comes to fruition.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They're British...I'm expecting a tweaked Evora platform if this car ever comes to fruition.
    That's normally what I would guess too but if they don't know something new put a fork in them. I don't think they can live off stretching the Elise/Exige forever.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's normally what I would guess too but if they don't know something new put a fork in them. I don't think they can live off stretching the Elise/Exige forever.
    It would be neat if they could develop a new carbon / aluminum structure to underpin their new vehicles. Imagine an Elise with a full carbon tub, it could weigh less than 1800 lbs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Imagine an Elise with a full carbon tub, it could weigh less than 1800 lbs.
    From SEMA 2009 Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From SEMA 2009 Click here to enlarge
    That is amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here it is...testing under an Evora body:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...0)::hero_image

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here it is...testing under an Evora body:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...0)::hero_image
    I'm amazed there is a test mule.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm amazed there is a test mule.
    And it's supposed to be built on the same aluminium chassis as the Evora (last Lotus car on it). Now they just have to record some turbo noises coming from the car and my prediction will be proven correct Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    With their new owners Geely they should have sufficient resources to finally do something other than tweaking 20-year-old platforms indefinitely at a price point that is TBH not competitive any longer today.