Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

More BS and lies from Carwow - Tesla Model 3 Performance beating the Porsche 992 Carrera S in a drag race and roll race

Carwow has little to no credibility here. We call out their bull$#@! time and time again. It is all about getting likes and views from the masses though so Carwow creates misleading videos in order to get more views so Carwow can get get car commission sales and that is what this is all about.

Click here to enlarge

It boils down to money, not credibility.

The new Carrera S is not slower than a Tesla Model 3 Performance and will not lose a drag or roll race to it unless circumstances are manipulated.

The test numbers thus far from a variety of sources all show the 992 Carrera S running low 11's at ~125 miles per hour.

How is Carwow roughly a full second off?

Well, you can visibly see the Carrera S kicking up dirt as it launches:

Click here to enlarge

Wow, well done Carwow! You proved all wheel drive can beat a faster car when you specifically make sure the surface is not prepped, dirty, or will not offer traction. Why not race them while it is raining too? Maybe put them both on ice? Have the Carrera start in a puddle of water?

This is misleading and frankly downright awful.

They do a second drag race where the Carrera S warms its tires (by doing donuts?) but the damage has been done.

An 11.5 still is on the slow side for the Carrera S but still quick enough to beat the Model S. Yet, they say the video has a *shock* result despite the Carrera S winning 2 out of 3. They market the manufactured loss for views and that is why Carwow is garbage.

You would think the roll race would fix all of this but the Carrera is not in the right gear (waiting for kickdown) so that they can exaggerate the performance of the Tesla... again for clicks. They even claim the Tesla won despite the Porsche pulling past. WTF?

They do a second drag race and put the 992 Carrera S in second gear at 30 mph. The car is geared so that it will do over 40 miles per hour in 1st gear. It should be in first, not second. Again, misleading garbage.

Someone has to call this crap out:

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In regards to the 992 slipping, Carwow is consistent in its testing, always using a non-prepped surface, it is what it is and is why as you pointed out the awd car has the advantage. Surely you’ve heard of no-prep racing which is supposed to simulate real world roadway conditions and be closer to street racing as opposed to track racing on a scraped washed dried and re-gripped (prepped) surface. Racing times on different surfaces can’t really be compared right? This site regularly points out the difference between drag racing tracks like ATCO surely we can expect no-prep to be different than prep.

I think all the video shows in one example is that a 992 carrera s could lose to a model 3 performance without launch control on a prepped surface or without being in the optimal gear and performance mode for the starting speed.

They claimed the Tesla won even after the Porsche pulled past it because the roll race was to 110mph for the point, then they extended the test to see at what speed the Porsche would pull past it. 126mph when the Porsche started in 2nd gear at 30mph. I agree I think the speed was too low. They should have tested it at different starting speeds and gears to see how much a difference it makes, that would have been informative and more interesting.

On another note....

how does carwow make money besides views and ads on YouTube? I think they also get commission for selling cars, affiliate marketing. I would expect a Porsche sale to make them more income than a model 3 sale, no?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
    Carwow is consistent in its testin
    No it isn't. Sometimes they start in the right gear, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they do kickdowns, sometimes they don't.

It's all over the place and a mess.

always using a non-prepped surface,
    Non-prepped is fine but finding the dustiest area (what, they don't have brooms?) to exaggerate is nonsense.

is why as you pointed out the awd car has the advantage.
    And why they didn't use the C4S. It isn't like Porsche doesn't have AWD.

This site regularly points out the difference between drag racing tracks like ATCO surely we can expect no-prep to be different than prep.
    When you go to ATCO you expect to drag race. When they line up these two cars, they are drag racing.

Notice how they immediately thought to heat the tires? Well, why didn't they edit out the first race then and say when the Porsche wasn't prepped the tires spun? They intentionally left the race in where the Porsche loses and set the title intentionally to 'shocking' for clicks. This is deceptive and done on purpose.

I think all the video shows in one example is that a 992 carrera s could lose to a model 3 performance without launch control on a prepped surface or without being in the optimal gear and performance mode for the starting speed.
    Even without launch control 0-60 is in the low 3's. I've launched these cars plenty of times on the street. I've never spun like that with more torque when I was trying to launch. The rear weight bias is incredible.

Even when actually spinning on the dragstrip I still ran an 11.6. They were trying to make it as bad as possible for their sensational title.

They claimed the Tesla won even after the Porsche pulled past it because the roll race was to 110mph for the point, then they extended the test to see at what speed the Porsche would pull past it. 126mph when the Porsche started in 2nd gear at 30mph
    The Porsche traps 12 miles per hour higher. It only took that long because they had it out of boost. The damn car hits 45 in first gear.

I've been in gear waiting for a P100D at speed. Took me no time at all to pass and that thing is much faster than the Model 3.

I think they also get commission for selling cars, affiliate marketing. I would expect a Porsche sale to make them more income than a model 3 sale, no?
    Porsche is higher commission but much lower volume.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I tend to like Carwow - they get a lot of fun cars. But I do agree that their testing could be better, especially the stupid kick down.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Not only the roll-on races with the wrong gear, the brake test is a joke as well. They should use real test equipment to measure the actual distance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roadkill12r Click here to enlarge
    Not only the roll-on races with the wrong gear, the brake test is a joke as well. They should use real test equipment to measure the actual distance.
    They should use real test equipment period, for all tests!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love how the roll racing is pretty much always done in the wrong gear, but almost certainly at too low of a speed as well. What's the point of doing a roll where the speed is so low that you're going to get wheel spin anyways....isn't the whole reason you do a roll to avoid that problem?