Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

2020 Ford Shelby GT500 on par with the Porsche 911 GT3 RS on the track? GT500 vs. 991.2 GT3 RS lap battle

This is great to see considering the GT500 is the hottest new performance car on the market. Everyone is talking about its powerful motor and how easy it is to tune but what about how incredibly capable it is on the track?

Click here to enlarge

The new GT500 was pitted against what is a very high bar for a track car, the Porsche 911 GT3 RS. It is somewhat amusing that the Porsche has a small naturally aspirated six-cylinder while the Mustang needs to go from its 5.2 liter Voodoo V8 in the GT350 to the monster boosted 5.2 liter Predator V8 in the GT500 to run with the Porsche.

Part of that reason is the heft of the GT500 which is roughly 1000 pounds heavier than the GT3 RS. Amazingly, despite this weight disadvantage the GT500 is right there with the GT3 RS.

Sure, the GT3 RS comes out just ahead but the GT500 actually looks more composed at certain moments. The difference of .15 seconds makes it a driver's race.

Can the GT500 run with the GT3 RS around the track? Yes indeed.

Onboard POV of Randy Pobst, SCCA Hall-of-Fame race car driver, lap Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in a 2020 Ford Mustang GT500 CFTP against a 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It can run with a gt3...for a lap or two. After that it would most likely get real sketchy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    It can run with a gt3...for a lap or two. After that it would most likely get real sketchy.
    Need more data but I'm impressed.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One lap is like a glory pull on a dyno. The Ford will go through brakes, tires and other consumables at 4x the rate of the Porsche, spending more time in the garage than on track comparatively. Not to mention wear on suspension components etc. I’ll take the GT3 100/100.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    I was going to raise this exact point... I'd love to see this test repeated over 5 laps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
    One lap is like a glory pull on a dyno. The Ford will go through brakes, tires and other consumables at 4x the rate of the Porsche, spending more time in the garage than on track comparatively. Not to mention wear on suspension components etc. I’ll take the GT3 100/100.
    Good thing a life of consumables on the Ford won't even come close to closing the price gap then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ISSIMI is definitely my new favourite car content maker on youtube. I really enjoy the podcasts with Derek and Jason. They're both incredibly knowledgeable (especially when compared to most motor journos). High quality content coming right as Head2Head and Ignition both died... now I'm stuck with a 1 year subscription to MT On Demand and the $#@! is dead. Classic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    ISSIMI is definitely my new favourite car content maker on youtube. I really enjoy the podcasts with Derek and Jason. They're both incredibly knowledgeable (especially when compared to most motor journos). High quality content coming right as Head2Head and Ignition both died... now I'm stuck with a 1 year subscription to MT On Demand and the $#@! is dead. Classic.
    What happened to them? Once the pay to watch video stuff started it was only a matter of time I guess.

Are you saying I could fill the void?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    What happened to them? Once the pay to watch video stuff started it was only a matter of time I guess.
    They lost the co-hosts (Jethro and I believe even Randy) and they all felt the format was just way too stale, so the shows are on indefinite hiatus until further notice.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Are you saying I could fill the void?
    Absolutely. You may not have the million dollar per episode budget, but your cars are probably faster.