Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Fueling shootout - Comparing pump gas, E85, boost juice, methanol, MS109, C16, etc.

This is a great comparison from The Tuning School who tried out various fuels and provided great data. They compared 93 octane pump fuel, MS103, C9, E85, VP C85, MS109, leaded C16, 93 octane plus water, 93 plus boost juice, and 93 with methanol.

Click here to enlarge

The results are very interesting as VP's C85 ethanol race fuel provides the best results. However, 93 octane with methanol injection is right on its heels. This of course shows what a value methanol injection is:

Click here to enlarge

93 octane pump gas with methanol even tops MS109 race gas and C16 race gas. C16 is leaded and really outdated as a race fuel with modern direct injected motors and ethanol blends.

Overall ethanol is the champ here. It is just a matter of availability for most people but if E85 is not available methanol injection is a nice alternative. Just keep in mind that supplemental methanol injection comes with its own pluses and minuses not to mention that methanol is highly corrosive and flammable. It also does not create the same taxing issues on a direct injected fuel system that straight E85 does.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ethanol isn't corrosive and flammable? Click here to enlarge

Methanol is the best fuel hands down. If you can pump enough of it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    this video highlights part of the reason, sometimes i recommend meth to my customers over E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They say methanol is harder to find but up here in the Pac North West it's Ethanol. We have 3 places I'm the Tacoma area you can get meth anywhere from $5 to $7 a gallon. And your car only drinks it when you want it to. I just hope my next duty station has it as available as the PNW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats why those pro mods just run straight methanol for fuel.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Thats why those pro mods just run straight methanol for fuel.
    3.5:1 AFRs Click here to enlarge
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwistedTuning Click here to enlarge
    this video highlights part of the reason, sometimes i recommend meth to my customers over E85.
    Methanol is a better fuel than ethanol for fuel but straight E85 is better and much safer than spraying a bit of meth on top of pump gas.

Meth injection systems are not the safest thing in the world and E85 burns cooler than meth injected on 93.
    I would never recommend meth over E85 assuming E85 is available and you have the fuel system to support it. No way no how.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The C85 had the coolest ambient temp, but E85 had the highest average power and torque (more area under the curve). I think E85 would be no. 1 on this list and it's probably cheaper than the C85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw Click here to enlarge
    The C85 had the coolest ambient temp, but E85 had the highest average power and torque (more area under the curve). I think E85 would be no. 1 on this list and it's probably cheaper than the C85.
    C85 is the best way to go as it's consistent and blended race gas. E85 will vary but C85 is always the same blend for racing application.

Ethanol based racing fuels are the way to go IMO.

Meth is great but the main thing that scares me is if there is a hiccup in flow or some other issue.

Either way multiple ways to go about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    very confused about straight meth? i always thought is was very flammable and could catch fire running straight meth in the meth tank thasts why they mix 50/50

Is this wrong information?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MR747 Click here to enlarge
    very confused about straight meth? i always thought is was very flammable and could catch fire running straight meth in the meth tank thasts why they mix 50/50

No. Mixing in water is a bit safer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i am right in saying its very flammable?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i am right in saying its very flammable?
    Yes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Comparing autoignition temps of gasoline (247–280 °C), ethanol (365 °C), and methanol (470 °C), methanol is the least likely to ignite on its own. Thats just my interpretation of your context of Flammable.
    08 AW E92 XI 6MT
    VTT GCs + VTT Inlets and Outlet + Fuel-it Bucketless + TorqByte CM5-LT Meth Controller + TwistedTuning Meth Plate / Aquamist 200cc Nozzles (E42 + 1550cc Meth) + BMS CP + VRSF DPs + 550i Clutch/MFactory SMFW

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    Methanol is a better fuel than ethanol for fuel but straight E85 is better and much safer than spraying a bit of meth on top of pump gas.

Meth injection systems are not the safest thing in the world and E85 burns cooler than meth injected on 93.
    I would never recommend meth over E85 assuming E85 is available and you have the fuel system to support it. No way no how.
    What pumps do the promods use to inject Methanol? Do they use the same pumps that come with standard methanol injection kits?

I have heard too many methanol pump failure stories to feel confident about running it. I read one thread saying to rebuild your methanol pump once a year....wtf? I didnt think a pump was as reliable as my windshield wipers.

the risk trade off is not enough for me...the risk of a failed pump is a busted engine, if the fail safe software is not able to cut boost in time.

Why doesn't anyone make a 100% approved Methanol Pump that lasts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
    What pumps do the promods use to inject Methanol? Do they use the same pumps that come with standard methanol injection kits?

I have heard too many methanol pump failure stories to feel confident about running it. I read one thread saying to rebuild your methanol pump once a year....wtf? I didnt think a pump was as reliable as my windshield wipers.

the risk trade off is not enough for me...the risk of a failed pump is a busted engine, if the fail safe software is not able to cut boost in time.

Why doesn't anyone make a 100% approved Methanol Pump that lasts?
    The problem is going cheap with methanol injection. Buy an aquamist kit and never look back. I ran one on my 335 for 5 years without a single issue. Hell, never even did any maintenance although that's ill advised.
    2015 F10 M5 \ Alpinweiss

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    The problem is going cheap with methanol injection. Buy an aquamist kit and never look back. I ran one on my 335 for 5 years without a single issue. Hell, never even did any maintenance although that's ill advised.
    Just FYI they all use Aquatec or Shurflo pumps and are just rebranded.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    good to hear an example of a maintenance free methanol system.

why don't more people use fuel pumps rated for alcohol for methanol injection? Do you really need over 100psi for methanol injection?

Is better atomization of the methanol with a 200psi water pump worth the risk of the pump failing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I run stage 2 snow Performance not tuned only use for cooling but scared to use just straight meth hence I use boost juice

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    would have liked to see VP M1 results. Probably to much work for the fuel and ignition systems though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by retired1 Click here to enlarge
    would have liked to see VP M1 results. Probably to much work for the fuel and ignition systems though.
    For those wondering, M1 is just straight VP racing methanol:

Click here to enlarge