Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

SUV overload - Is it a good idea for Volkswagen to have seven SUV's sharing sharing the same MLB chassis platform?

Volkswagen is counting on SUV's staying popular and is getting ready to milk their upcoming SUV architecture internally called 'MLB' to the maximum. The next generation Touareg will use this platform. As will the next generation Cayenne and Cayenne coupe. Then you have the next generation Audi Q7 and the coupe version of that called the Q8 (with rumors of a Q9). Lamborghini of course wants their chunk with the upcoming Urus and let's not forget Bentley is prepping their SUV codenamed Falcon.

It seems as if almost everyone in the VW portfolio is getting an MLB spinoff. Now the upside is that a single architecture underpinning so many models means getting the absolute maximum out of the investment. If they all sell Volkswagen will not even know what to do with all the money it will be making. Minimum investment with maximum profit.

The downside is likely minimal as shown by factories being at max capacity producing the current sport utility vehicles. Will they stretch too thin? Or will the market bear an influx of even more expensive and even higher end SUV's from Porsche, Bentley, and Lamborghini? We will find out shortly and it will be interesting to see just how much they differ. The same SUV with the same 4.0 liter V8 turbo engine and all wheel drive drivetrain but just a different badge will be get boring very quickly.

Click here to enlarge
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's good for me, because it's easy for me to bust people's balls and call them all Volkswagens : P

I don't care for it personally. It takes something away from the vehicle for me. It's not as unique, you can't associate it with one company, or process, or designer, etc. Buuuut, I am an enthusiast and not just a car consumer. So it might be a solid strategy for economies of scale and maximizing shareholder value. Unfortunately those things are not particularly interesting to me anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    VW just loves platform sharing lol

in terms of luxury/interior feel the different car companies offer for each truck, or different priorities for their uses, it doesn't really matter to the consumer. if there is a performance seeker market, then those guys may as well buy Touaregs and wait for the aftermarket to capitalize

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Has anyone read the Macan vs Q7 (i think) vs GLA comparison test? The porsche/audi similarities were ridiculous. Audi/VW platform sharing is one thing because it's easy to differentiate. However, Porsche/Audi becomes much harder to differentiate.

What's funny is the article talked about the typical "audi understeer" due to the engine being positioned ahead of the front axle. After reading that I flipped ahead to the technical diagram at the end of article and saw that both SUV's engines were in the same position and both had the same weight distribution.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fieldysnuts8 Click here to enlarge
    What's funny is the article talked about the typical "audi understeer" due to the engine being positioned ahead of the front axle. After reading that I flipped ahead to the technical diagram at the end of article and saw that both SUV's engines were in the same position and both had the same weight distribution.
    You can change the understeer based on other aspects though such as the spring rates, toe in, camber, tire widths, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You can change the understeer based on other aspects though such as the spring rates, toe in, camber, tire widths, etc.
    No doubt, but I distinctly recall the article referencing the engine being ahead of the axle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fieldysnuts8 Click here to enlarge
    No doubt, but I distinctly recall the article referencing the engine being ahead of the axle.
    I don't doubt you and I see your point as they are basically the same thing but it's possible Porsche mitigates understeer in other areas.

Although my experience with VW and Porsche SUV's from the same platform tells me they drive almost the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No