Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Drag Race: BMW F80 M3 Competition vs. Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio vs. Cadillac ATS-V

This race comes after a race from earlier this month that also featured the BMW F80 M3 Competition Package and Giulia Quadrifoglio except with the W205 C63 AMG S taking the place of the ATS-V. Well, as the C63 was the slowest of the trio anyway the American contender in the segment makes for a good replacement.

Click here to enlarge

As a reminder, the ATS-V and its LF4 3.6 liter twin turbo V6 is rated at 464 horsepower and 445 lb-ft of torque. As crank output in this group does not tell the whole story the ATS-V puts down about 438 rear wheel horsepower and 431 lb-ft of torque at the wheels on a Dynojet stock.

Unfortunately, that isn't enough. The ATS-V gets smoked exactly as it should. It is the heaviest car of the trio. It traps roughly 114 miles per hour in the 1/4 mile so ignore the Cadillac test ringers.

What you see here is a real world representation and the ATS-V is just overmatched. The M3 and the Quadrifoglio again are close with the Alfa Romeo edging.

What about the trap speeds? The French at Motorsport Magazine don't know what those are.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whatever happened with the ATS-V? I read some great initial reviews and tuning results, but diddly-squat after the initial hype. I'm sure they haven't sold well since I've literally seen 2 of them in my life. I feel the deals have to be right around the corner with lease returns coming up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    They haven't sold well at all, dealers in my area have been offering upwards of $15K off MSRP to get rid some 2016 MY cars, and still can't move them. I think a lot of people were put off by the LF4 especially, as this car should have gotten the LT1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Check out the start (0:08s) - it sounded like the M short shifted (at least I think it was the M)... I am guessing LC wasn't used? It looks like the M had a terrible start.

I think the Quadrifoglio out-powers the M but am also thinking it could have been a closer race given a good start.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Car and Driver gives the ATS a lot of positive points, they loved most things about the car. And then they wondered what corporate retard thought that a 430hp Corvette LS was a bad idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Check out the start (0:08s) - it sounded like the M short shifted (at least I think it was the M)... I am guessing LC wasn't used? It looks like the M had a terrible start.

I think the Quadrifoglio out-powers the M but am also thinking it could have been a closer race given a good start.
    You're absolutely right but the Alfa even got a slight jump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I'm not mistaken, I feel like that short shift was the Alfa. The Alfa is probably quite a bit louder than the other 2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So where do the 50 extra horses in the Alfa go? Not far....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mynameisplayer Click here to enlarge
    So where do the 50 extra horses in the Alfa go? Not far....
    Is it 50 extra horses?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    Whatever happened with the ATS-V? I read some great initial reviews and tuning results, but diddly-squat after the initial hype. I'm sure they haven't sold well since I've literally seen 2 of them in my life. I feel the deals have to be right around the corner with lease returns coming up.
    The car was not a complete package.

Ok, the chassis is great and the motor is decent but you can not get away with that 90's gauge cluster in this environment.

It's also the heaviest in its class short of the C63. That isn't good.

A good effort but hardly the best in class.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The motor sucks, that's its biggest drawback. It needs an LS. Lighter, more reliable, sounds better, better torque curve, an endless aftermarket, and it'll still go 400,000 miles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aaron Click here to enlarge
    The motor sucks, that's its biggest drawback. It needs an LS. Lighter, more reliable, sounds better, better torque curve, an endless aftermarket, and it'll still go 400,000 miles.
    The LT series would be great but they are doing a turbo six cylinder to play with everyone else doing the same thing.

Actually, it would have been cool if they did something different and use the LT1. Shaved weight down to 3500 rpm and had a V8 M3 with more displacement.

Oh well. They should probably fix that interior first though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ATS has a terrible interior and the engine is probably the weakest out of the group in its class. And it's a Cadillac. That's why it's not selling.

Wow, are there really still people here who think the BMW factory-quoted power numbers are what it's making? Lol. When the idiots who run the Road & Track Facebook page posted this, the entire post was breathless wonderment at how the "less powerful" M3 basically kept up. The state of auto journalism in many places is quite sad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Lol. When the idiots who run the Road & Track Facebook page posted this, the entire post was breathless wonderment at how the "less powerful" M3 basically kept up. The state of auto journalism in many places is quite sad.
    I've called so many people out on this but it's a lost cause. They are just stupid people.

I called MotorTrend on it and the guy acted like he knew yet in his video says the M3 is way less powerful... idiots.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love that ALFA!