Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Head 2 Head comparison between the 2017 Porsche 911 (991.2) Carrera S and the C7 Corvette Grand Sport

Corvette versus 911 comparisons are always fun. There are certain things that always hold true. For example, the 911 is more refined, more expensive, and more luxurious. The Corvette always offers better value and a larger motor. Not much has really changed in these areas.

Click here to enlarge

However, these are two of the best iterations of either sports car icon ever made. The Grand Sport is not too far back on technology as it offers a direct injected V8 engine although it is naturally aspirated. The 991.2 generation Carrera downsizes to a 3.0 liter flat-6 but it gets a pair of turbos:

Click here to enlarge

The Grand Sport basically takes bits from the Z06 such as the widebody and suspension components. It looks gorgeous. As does the Porsche. The 911 design plays it safe whereas the Corvette really pushes into the future although that likely means it will not hold up as well. Time will tell.

While the 911 is a bit lighter in this comparison it has the PDK transmission and the Corvette gets a manual. Not fair. It should have the 8L90 8-speed auto or the Porsche should be a manual. The 911 has a distinct advantage in the area of the gearbox when doing performance comparisons here. In all fairness, they say they asked for a manual 911.

MotorTrend states the clutch pedal makes the Corvette slower but it's really the 911's rear weight bias helping tremendously off the line that makes a huge difference. A drag race is all about traction and the launch and you just can't beat the 911 in those areas with the Grand Sport.

The Corvette predictably gets smoked. That is why an automatic variant to combat the PDK would be preferred or the manual to manual comparison. If you have a manual Grand Sport and want to drag race a PDK 911 S, think again. The 911 runs 11.5 @ 120.5 versus 12.2 @ 116.1 for the Corvette.

The Grand Sport is not about drag racing though. The Z07 aero package and suspension tuning are for the track. This shows with the grip advantage the Corvette has going through the figure eight at 22.3 seconds at .96g compared to 23.1 seconds at .91g for the 911. That's a big difference.

Ok, so what do they do on the track? This:

Click here to enlarge

Incredible, right? As previously reported the 911 S tops the GT3 and Turbo S which is just crazy and likely has GT3 and Turbo owners calling Porsche up and yelling expletives.

The Corvette Grand Sport is even quicker though. It obviously doesn't match the Z06 due to the power disparity but it sure does seem to make more efficient use of the power it has.

Both are incredible machines and you can not go wrong with either. It is flat out incredible how good these cars are.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Grand sport for the win!
    GIAC, Brembo BBK, Ohlins R&T, CSF race radiator, Recaro Profi xl, Mfactory LSD, Evolution Racewerks CP & OC, Wagner IC & DP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Both for the win

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A $50,000 price difference?! I'll take the GS and a lightly used X5M, thanks.

When the hell did a Carrera S become a $140,000 car?! Is this a $115,000 car (once you factor in performance options) + $25,000 in leather and Porsche emblems?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's crazy money!
    GIAC, Brembo BBK, Ohlins R&T, CSF race radiator, Recaro Profi xl, Mfactory LSD, Evolution Racewerks CP & OC, Wagner IC & DP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Corvette looks so freakin sexy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Grand Sport keeps killing it in reviews.

0.4 from a 650S, that is impressive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    When the hell did a Carrera S become a $140,000 car?! Is this a $115,000 car (once you factor in performance options) + $25,000 in leather and Porsche emblems?
    You can look at it that way or you can look at it as the Carrera S just became a cheaper Turbo.

They optioned it out heavily. You don't need to spend $140k.

I can get what I'm looking for in the standard Carrera for $115k or so. They don't give you the four wheel steering option though which is kind of a bummer.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You can look at it that way or you can look at it as the Carrera S just became a cheaper Turbo.

They optioned it out heavily. You don't need to spend $140k.

I can get what I'm looking for in the standard Carrera for $115k or so. They don't give you the four wheel steering option though which is kind of a bummer.
    You can tell yourself that, sure. But lets see how easy it is to believe it once we see what the new Turbo does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    You can tell yourself that, sure. But lets see how easy it is to believe it once we see what the new Turbo does.
    I don't care what the 991.2 Turbo does honestly. The Turbo S will be a minimal improvement on the 991.1 and for $200k it isn't worth it. Or, in other words, $100k more than a Carrera with bolt ons that will be right there with it if not ahead.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't care what the 991.2 Turbo does honestly. The Turbo S will be a minimal improvement on the 991.1 and for $200k it isn't worth it. Or, in other words, $100k more than a Carrera with bolt ons that will be right there with it if not ahead.
    I agree 100%.

You'll all laugh and bust my balls,
    but what the world really needs is a 2018 911 Carrera c4,
    rebadged as a VW with a reasonable price.
    I don't want to pay for, nor give a $hit about, the Porsche name and snobbery.
    I just want the 991.2 911 c4 drivetrain at a reasonable price.

I had hoped that the "Baby Panamera" that's been rumored for year was going to be the closest real world option to what I wanted.
    But, who knows what happened to that program, and I gave up waiting.

Really looking forward to watching what Sticky and other 991.2 owners can do with their cars.