Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mercedes-AMG A45 vs. BMW F22 M2 drag race

The A45 AMG is obviously no slouch and no stranger to taking on German rivals with larger motors. The other day we saw an A45 AMG top an Audi RS3 in a drag race despite the A45 having half a liter less displacement and being down a cylinder to the Audi.

Click here to enlarge

Well, against the BMW M2 the A45 is down a full liter of displacement and two cylinders. The M2 is also lighter but the A45 AMG with its all wheel drive has a traction advantage off the line.

Can the M2 overcome it? Not with the launch from the the guys at Cars.co.za. You visibly see wheelspin from the M2 and the A45 AMG edges ahead due to this but the finish is basically even. A better launch and the M2 takes this race. Additionally, the M2 should be favored from a roll. If only they recorded the trap speeds and not just the elapsed time.

The little AMG M133 four-cylinder sure does put up a hell of a fight against the larger N55B30T0.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get your $#@! together, BMW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What trans was in the M2? Does it not have an LSD? If it's a DCT, what is LC RPM? Looks like it's too high. I'm sure it's not 5k like the stupid LC in my 335is. The AMG makes more power and TQ than the BMW, so the fact that it only lost by .01 with that $#@!ty launch is actually pretty impressive. The M2 would put car lengths on the AMG from a roll. I'd love to see the traps for sure. I bet the M2 is at least 1-2 MPH faster.
    2016 340xi AT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    MB/AMG A45 are sweet hatches.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    What trans was in the M2? Does it not have an LSD? If it's a DCT, what is LC RPM? Looks like it's too high. I'm sure it's not 5k like the stupid LC in my 335is. The AMG makes more power and TQ than the BMW, so the fact that it only lost by .01 with that $#@!ty launch is actually pretty impressive. The M2 would put car lengths on the AMG from a roll. I'd love to see the traps for sure. I bet the M2 is at least 1-2 MPH faster.
    They don't specify but it looks like a DCT.

Exactly, it lost barely despite the crappy launch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Enfiftyfore Click here to enlarge
    Get your $#@! together, BMW.
    The BMW is the faster car though...