Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

HUGE hot hatch test - Ford Focus RS vs. Mercedes-AMG A45 vs. BMW F20 135i vs. Audi RS3 vs. Honda Civic Type R vs. Subaru WRX STI vs. VW Golf R vs. Peugeot 308

There are so many hot hatches in this test the entire list would not fit in the title. This test is done by Auto Trader in the UK so we might as well get out of the way that the weather makes this a less than ideal comparison. It's typically British in that regard.

Click here to enlarge

If you have to do a comparison in the rain why even bother with 0-60 testing? Of course the all wheel drive cars will top their rear wheel and front wheel drive counterparts in the wet. Why not try to mitigate the conditions by showing some roll on testing in addition that will reduce the traction advantage and provide some more meaningful data and comparisons?

Ok, so the comparison isn't perfect but it is the best comparison we have right now of all of these vehicles. The Europeans obviously love their hot hatches so it makes sense this comes from a European source that includes makes and models that are not featured in the US market.

The cars tested are the Ford Focus RS, Honda Civic Type-R, Audi RS3, Mercedes-AMG A45, Volkswagen Golf R, Renault Sport Megane 275 Cup-S, Peugeot 308 GTI By Peugeot Sport 270, BMW 135i, Seat Leon Cupra 290, and the Subaru Impreza WRX STI.

Here is a table overview of the tested metrics:

Click here to enlarge

The 0-60 figures are not too important here due to the traction penalty on the cars without all wheel drive but the Mercedes-AMG A45 is the quickest to 60 at 4.2 seconds followed by the Audi RS3 at 4.3. If you intend to drag race in the rain, the A45 is your car.

Around the track though the Mercedes-AMG also wins. Yes, the traction advantage is a major factor here. The Focus RS comes in a close second around the track despite having a manual transmission and less power than the Mercedes. It's chassis dynamics seem to be superior.

Take the data presented with a grain of salt. What do the testers think about the cars?

The BMW's engine and gearbox is praised but it is said to feel more like a GT than a hot hatch. The BMW's character just is not sporty enough in this company. The Subaru is said to feel dated which is a shame.

Honda's Civic Type R is penalized for being too much to handle in the wet. Oh, a front wheel drive turbo car is hard to push to the limit when it's raining? Who knew? It is said to be lively and fun in the dry though which is when you will want to push it.

They narrow the list of cars down to their top 3 choices. Those are the Mercedes-AMG A45, Ford Focus RS, and the Renault Sport Megane 275 Cup-S. They decide to drag the trio.

The track looks less damp for this race but it really doesn't matter. The A45 AMG easily takes it with the Ford Focus RS coming up second. The M133 engine under the hood of the A45 is simply a beast.

If you don't have 35 minutes to spare to watch this video let's spare you some time and tell you what the conclusion is. The Renault is simply outperformed by the A45 and Focus RS. It finishes in third. The A45 AMG is the quickest in a straight line and around the track but it's chassis dynamics, handling, and feedback do not match the Ford Focus RS.

The new Ford beats out everyone else as the best all around driver's hot hatch. It is the best hatchback in the world right now. Well done Ford.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would take the MB-AMG A45

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cost no object, I'd go:

RS3
    Focus RS
    M135
    AMG
    Golf R
    STI
    Type R

and I'm pretty I'd love any of them but the Type R - I'm not a fan of high power FWD cars. Don't know enough about the other Europeans to make a call on them.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    I would take the MB-AMG A45
    It's definitely the muscle car of the group but also technologically advanced. I like it as well.

The Focus RS is the better driver's tool but I really like that M133 engine.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'd also take the RS3 over everything and probably the Focus after that. The RS3 has such an awesome and powerful motor. Very unique.
    We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Enfiftyfore Click here to enlarge
    I'd also take the RS3 over everything and probably the Focus after that. The RS3 has some an awesome and powerful motor. Very unique.
    That's true. The RS3 does have the best motor of the bunch.

The TT-RS has an even hotter version and weighs less...