Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Porsche states they remain committed to the manual transmission but are they really?

As you already know Porsche does not offer the 911 Turbo, Turbo S, GT3, or GT3 RS with a manual transmission. Why is this? Well, several factors. The most important is money of course as the majority of customers opt for the PDK. Secondly, the PDK is a higher performance option.

Click here to enlarge

It is necessary to keep a car like the GT3 competitive against competition with much larger motors some of which also feature forced induction. There are those customers that do not care about a tenth of a second here or there though and prefer the driver interaction offered by a manual.

For those customers, they have to opt for different 911 models. Porsche's 911 engineering boss states:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Erhard Mössle
    It’s a unique selling proposition for Porsche to have a manual in the 911 range, and I think we will fight for that as long as possible. Even if it’s only 10 percent of the market, it’s important for some customers and for some markets, especially the U.S., to have that kind of gearbox.

What we learned from the last two years with the Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder is that it’s not only a discussion of lap times, but also of emotion, of being fun to drive. Even if the car is not the fastest, it is fun to drive with a manual. Of course the PDK is faster, but a lot of customers want to change gear by themselves. Therefore I think we should keep it, for the next generation also.
    The thing is Porsche already phased out manual transmissions on several 911 models. They happen to be the most enthusiast oriented models as well.

So while you may still be able to get a 911 with a manual transmission that does not by any means equate to all 911's being available with a manual.

This is nice talk from someone at Porsche recognizing the fun factor and interaction offered by a manual but rhetoric and action are two different things. Porsche's actions show the manual is gradually being phased out. The engineers ultimately will lose out no matter what their personal opinions are if keeping a manual transmission in the range hurts the bottom line.

Source

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought I read that they were going to release a version of the 991 GT3 with a manual again right?
    It is good to see they plan to offer it in the next generation as well even if it is only in a few versions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    I thought I read that they were going to release a version of the 991 GT3 with a manual again right?
    It is good to see they plan to offer it in the next generation as well even if it is only in a few versions.
    They are...the 911 R. Supposedly debuting in couple months at Geneva Motor Show.

Also rumors are the next gen GT3 will offer a manual transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    Yeah: http://www.porscheboost.com/content....g-Spy-pictures

The car should have had a manual to begin with but we'll see where things go.

I don't know how long the manual really has but it's not as long as PDK.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yeah: http://www.porscheboost.com/content....g-Spy-pictures

The car should have had a manual to begin with but we'll see where things go.

I don't know how long the manual really has but it's not as long as PDK.
    That just means older manual trans P-cars will continue to appreciate! haha
    But seriously the market for anything older than 996 is $#@!ing ridiculous if you look at the prices over the last 5-10 years. Some say the bubble is about to pop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 993 will likely hold although I doubt there will be any more appreciation. It's kind of stupid what people are pricing them at but it is the last air-cooled 911 so that holds a certain prestige in purists eyes.

The 996, 997, and probably the 991 as well will continue to drop.