Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Ferrari F430 Scuderia vs. 458 Speciale roll on race with exaggerated result

Is the 458 Speciale faster than the F430 Scuderia? Most definitely. Like the Scuderia the Speciale is a lighter and more powerful version of the Ferrari on which it is based. The Speciale has the larger motor, more power, higher redline, and quicker shifting gearbox.

Click here to enlarge

It is essentially a slam dunk race in the 458's favor. However, the F430 Scuderia is no slouch. It weighs roughly 2970 pounds, has 503 horsepower from the 4.3 liter 11.9:1 compression port injected V8, and revs to 8500 rpm. It is capable of low 11's in the 1/4 mile in the mid 120 mile per hour range.

Respectable acceleration for what is a hardcore track model. The Speciale improves further with a 4.5 liter direct injected V8 offering 14.0:1 compression, 597 horsepower, a dual clutch transmission, and 9000 rpm redline. Ferrari claims a 3100 pound curb weight but Ferrari claims a lot of things that often turn out not to be true. Their weight claims and horsepower claims for example.

With those specs the Speciale should win. Should it just instantly pull away putting car lengths on the Scuderia? No. As often happens with GTBoard videos from Gustav the result is exaggerated.

Notice how at the start marker the Scuderia lays off the gas and the Speciale gets on it. When the Scuderia starts it is already in the hole. You can see the exaggerated effect as the 458 begins to move before you hear it get on the gas.

The 458 Speciale is the faster car but not to this degree. It should gradually pull away. It should not instantly leap ahead the way it does. Despite this race being on video it is an example of how races on video can easily be manipulated. That is why data accompanying a run is so important. You never get that data with these videos as they are treated as entertainment and not serious comparisons.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    its clear the 458 jumps. The pull is stopped in the higher gears. I posted a NFZ video where you can see a GTR do the same when he got the jump. Runway cams always exaggerate the distance between cars.
    2010|335i|LMB|E92|6MT|MSport|Logic7|335is Clutch|AE Performance|BMS|Inline Walbro|VRSF 7"|Inlets|-sold
    1992|Pontiac Firebird|Mild 355ci|T56|-sold
    2001|Chevrolet Camaro| T56 LS1| Bolt-ons| -Sold
    -I will look on your treasures, gypsy. Is this understood?-

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 7plagues Click here to enlarge
    its clear the 458 jumps. The pull is stopped in the higher gears. I posted a NFZ video where you can see a GTR do the same when he got the jump. Runway cams always exaggerate the distance between cars.
    That up top it stops pulling pretty much tells what you need to know about the start if the jump didn't already.

It's just too bad this stuff is put up and then I see people say things like, 'Oh I'm surprised the F430 didn't get beat harder.'

Seriously?