Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

A reminder to Volkswagen that there is a market for smaller pickup trucks in the United States and that Americans love trucks

Americans love trucks. Americans also have some very big trucks as the picture below illustrates. Competing on the full-size truck side with the Americans is not easy and the Ford F-Series for example is one of the best selling vehicles of all time and perennially near or at the top of the sales list.

Click here to enlarge

So, yes, Americans love to buy trucks. What you see below in the middle is a little truck called the Rabbit from Volkswagen. It had a diesel engine option and being based on the late 70's Rabbit platform was fairly tiny. It definitely looks dwarfed here with a Japanese full size to the left and an F250 to the right.

Can anyone name a small truck with a solid diesel option available in the US today? What about even mid-size? Even the Americans are lacking in this area. There is an area of the truck to market to exploit yet Volkswagen seems reluctant even though they have the Amarok.

Volkswagen, you want to pick up sales. You are considering entering the US truck market. What's wrong with you guys? Sandwich yourselves between the goliaths with a solid small truck option offering a diesel and watch the sales rise. That, or you continue to wonder why your US sales slump.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    One word: Government. The chicken tax, which is still in effect, puts a 25% tariff on imported light trucks.

If we want small trucks, we need to tell the government to F off with this bulls*t policy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    One word: Government. The chicken tax, which is still in effect, puts a 25% tariff on imported light trucks.

If we want small trucks, we need to tell the government to F off with this bulls*t policy.
    You raise a very interesting point. Why do they tax light trucks so heavily?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's some sort of nonsensical relic from the 60s, one of their policies to hurt perceived enemy countries during the Cold War. There was actually a bundle of policies introduced all at once that included tariffs on some basic non-durable goods and food I believe as well, with the truck tariff in the mix. All were abolished after a while, but the truck one stayed on. I think we all know why too, you can bet many Detroit lobbyist dollars were spent ensuring that the already-horrid small trucks the Big 3 were pushing out didn't have any competition anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    It's some sort of nonsensical relic from the 60s, one of their policies to hurt perceived enemy countries during the Cold War. There was actually a bundle of policies introduced all at once that included tariffs on some basic non-durable goods and food I believe as well, with the truck tariff in the mix. All were abolished after a while, but the truck one stayed on. I think we all know why too, you can bet many Detroit lobbyist dollars were spent ensuring that the already-horrid small trucks the Big 3 were pushing out didn't have any competition anymore.
    Ugh outdated garbage from wars fought decades ago like the Cuban embargo nonsense.

I'm sure there was lobbying to prevent any real small trucks that offered competition. I'd love to see something available that is smaller than a Tundra/F150/Titan/Silverado etc. with better mileage offering a diesel and all wheel drive. Just something affordable and not too big that can tow what I need it to.

I shouldn't have to opt for some giant, expensive, and thirsty monstrosity. There is a market to be tapped here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The new Chevy Colorado will have a turbo diesel coming out in the 2016 model year I believe.

http://gearheads.org/2015-chevy-colo...uramax-diesel/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    The new Chevy Colorado will have a turbo diesel coming out in the 2016 model year I believe.
    Yep but even that truck is a lot bigger than you think but they finally are giving it a diesel and taking the mid-size seriously.

For a while they didn't even want to sell it in the USA which is insane.

But like I said this is an area of the market VW could target.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's unlikely to happen unless this bullsh*t tariff is repealed, so far the government has shown quite a bit of indifference to doing it. I'm sure Detroit dollars are still at work there.

But yeah, it would be cool for vehicles like that to be sold in the US, there's many people that want exactly this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep but even that truck is a lot bigger than you think but they finally are giving it a diesel and taking the mid-size seriously.

For a while they didn't even want to sell it in the USA which is insane.

But like I said this is an area of the market VW could target.
    I'm just glad they brought the Colorado back. Otherwise only smaller pickups available in the US were the Tacoma and Frontier. The fact that Chevy is offering a diesel is just icing on the cake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love small trucks. My 95 tacoma is probably my favorite vehicle. It is indestructible.
    The 01 sonoma is less reliable and terrible gas mileage but the 4.3L pushrod v6 in that little thing is actually fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    I'm just glad they brought the Colorado back. Otherwise only smaller pickups available in the US were the Tacoma and Frontier. The fact that Chevy is offering a diesel is just icing on the cake.
    I have a Frontier. More than enough size to do what I need.

In general though the truck is a pile of $#@!. I'd like a quality option with a diesel and all wheel drive at the same size.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Trade protection, pure and simple. Politicians spout the concept of free trade, but in reality many, many markets have quirky rules and taxes. If you start a company and make a new type of product. Head to DC with suitcases full of campaign cash and watch all the regulations and taxes you can have heaped on your foreign competitors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would love a small all wheel drive truck for the winter. Unfortunately even used Rangers with high milage go for way too much money.

Would love an AWD, 5 speed, 4cyl single cab truck for November - Late March.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    I would love a small all wheel drive truck for the winter. Unfortunately even used Rangers with high milage go for way too much money.

Would love an AWD, 5 speed, 4cyl single cab truck for November - Late March.
    I got my tacoma 4x4 with 130k miles for $300 Click here to enlarge