Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Throw back Thursday: When the Ferrari F40 and Lamborghini Diablo were the baddest cars on the planet

Ferrari is really shaking up their lineup and the character of their cars. We have experienced just over two decades from the time of the Ferrari F40 to today where mid-engine Ferrari's were all about high revs, finesse, and response. With the launch of the Ferrari 488 GTB that era is over.

Click here to enlarge

It is not all bad as the Ferrari F40 reminds us. Twin turbo mid-engine V8 Ferrari vehicles are nothing new and the F40 is arguably the greatest example. What's not to love? 478 horsepower and 424 lb-ft of torque from a twin turbocharged 2.9 liter V8. All that power is sent to the rear wheels via a 5-speed manual gearbox in a package weighing only 3018 pounds.

Nobody in Europe had a serious answer for the Ferrari F40 but there was another group of Italians who was not about to let Ferrari have all the glory. The Lamborghini Diablo offered looks just as exotic and very similar power and torque. Its naturally aspirated 5.7 liter V12 produces 485 horsepower and 428 lb-ft of torque. This is also routed to the rear wheels through a 5-speed manual transmission although the Diablo is much heavier at 3520 pounds.

The Ferrari F40 is simply the leaner and meaner car. It is the true driver's car here and it shows on the roadcourse where it outlaps the Diablo by almost 5.5 seconds. It pulls more on the skidpad and accelerates faster. The Diablo does brake a bit better but over 5 seconds on a roadcourse is a lifetime. The F40 is on another performance level.

They do not quite make them like this any more. The original Car and Driver article points out parts were falling off the Lamborghini and that the F40 is basically a race car for the street. Both companies are not quite as hardcore as they used to be and they certainly have much better build quality these days.

Still, this was a time where these exotics were truly exotic in their performance, price, and pedigree. The complete enthusiast garage would feature both.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Source

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I must have missed the memo on the F40 no longer being the baddest car on the planet... also, I thought it weighed in under 2,500lbs. I'm seeing conflicting numbers now that I look it back up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well I mean something called the McLaren F1 showed up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought it was a lot lighter than 3000lbs too! Maybe I am remember the weight in kg?
    My subaru is 3000lbs and has almost that much power! I know the F40 vs subaru is apples vs amoebas but still puts it in a different perspective for me. I always thought the F40 was a go kart and closer in weight to a lotus.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys are calling a twin turbo V8 3000 pound mid-engine car heavy?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No absolutely not "heavy" just that I always thought of it as more like 2400lbs which is very light.
    On a few sources I read they claimed the F40 weighed only 1100kgs (2400lbs) but in the C&D article it lists 3000lbs so I don't really know what to believe.
    Either way its not heavy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nevermind, the 1100 kgs is the dry weight, not curb weight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    Nevermind, the 1100 kgs is the dry weight, not curb weight.
    Classic Ferrari... I'd bet it still in the 2,700 range, wet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Perhaps the US spec car is heavier? They didn't really have major crash standard deviations then though I don't think but something worth considering.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps the US spec car is heavier? They didn't really have major crash standard deviations then though I don't think but something worth considering.
    Was gunna say that too. The us spec was apparently 250 lbs heavier by 1990 because of crash and emissions rules. They had to add a cat to the downpipe which may have lowered the actual power but Ferrari kept the advertised number the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know its not in the same league, but I feel like the e24 m should get more love when you look back at old super cars like these. For half the cost you can get pretty close to these numbers with lots of left over money for mods Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really like the E24 but I mean completely different car.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Alpina honorable mention:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah don't get me wrong I am not saying they are in the same class, but they all have a very miami vice look, are incredibly rare and will still run with cars today. My dad had an e24 m6 a while back and my m3 would torch it from a dig, but from a roll it could hang right in there. It was a very impressive car
    E46 323i-rip
    e46 325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert- sold
    e90 335i (n54)- current

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Ferrari F40 was(is)a bad-ass ride back in the day. There was an F40 that would come out weekly to a large car/bike gathering held early Sunday mornings in Danbury CT. Always drew a huge crowd of gawkers.

He followed us out to watch some street racing(was an older guy but very into racing)one Sunday. He loved talking about the car and would talk to anyone that wanted to listen;turns out he has an entire collection of Ferrari's(still does to this day).

So heading home on the hiway he pulled alongside a small group of us on our bikes. He gestured he wanted to do a pull. I had a stock '91 GSXR-1100(125rwhp,10.50s 1/4mi 130mph).

There were no horn honks or anything,it was him downshifting and then taking off to start the race. I dont remember the exact mph but I was in 2nd gear,maybe 50-75mph. I was alongside him til 170mph and then he slowly walked away and kept putting distance between us until I gave up.

I'll never forget that day,still crystal clear in my memory. It was the only car that I have ever lost to and I told everyone the following Sunday how that car assraped me. I saw him a few years later and he was in an F50. I pass his business on my commute home from work. Last car I saw parked out front was an ugly burgandy/pearl white Bugatti Veyron
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Still, this was a time where these exotics were truly exotic in their performance, price, and pedigree. The complete enthusiast garage would feature both.
    I understand your point that back then exotic meant rare, but I think it's pretty amazing that these days you can stroll in to your Subaru/BMW/Audi/Nissan/Chevy/Ford dealership and purchase a normal, reasonably priced car that with (or without) an ECM software update can exceed the performance of those exotic cars, and far exceed the performance of which the average driver is capable.

I will say as much as I adore the F40, the 288GTO is my favorite.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    I understand your point that back then exotic meant rare, but I think it's pretty amazing that these days you can stroll in to your Subaru/BMW/Audi/Nissan/Chevy/Ford dealership and purchase a car that with (or without) an ECM software update can exceed the performance of those exotic cars, and far exceed the performance of which the average driver is capable.
    Definitely true but back then the performance was incredible too.

Rarity and price point are definitely factors in the exotic equation.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    I will say as much as I adore the F40, the 288GTO is my favorite.
    I prefer the 288 GTO styling as IMO it is the most beautiful Ferrari or at least in the discussion. They are both great but the F40 is probably more fun to drive.

I'd love to have either... or both.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I grew up during these times (they were the best of times) (although not really). I was always an F40 guy but the Diablo did/and still does have a special place in my heart. It was just an insane car.

The F40 has held up better to the "test of time" but I think the Diablo is underloved by modern car enthusiasts.

Back when top speed was the only thing that mattered, the Diablo could hit 201. I don't recall the F40's top speed.

Also, one of the best Road & Track issues ever made tested a Diablo against an EB110 (also underrated!) an XJ220, and a 456gt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fieldysnuts8 Click here to enlarge
    Back when top speed was the only thing that mattered, the Diablo could hit 201. I don't recall the F40's top speed.
    A big deal was made out of the F40 having a higher top speed than the Porsche 959. The real battle was really between those two as the Diablo was already a product of the 90's.

The F40 did 200 plus whereas the 959 did 195. So over 200 was a huge deal back then. Here's what it can really do: