Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

DinanTronics Performance Tuner Box for BMW N55, S55, N63TU, and S63TU (N26 to come later) motors gets CARB approval and is 50 states emissions legal

Dinan's piggyback tuning box for modern turbo BMW motors is now officially CARB (California Air Resource Board) legal. This also retroactively means it is effectively 50 state legal and any N55, S55, N63TU, and S63TU engines running this tune are emissions compliant.

Click here to enlarge

What is interesting to note is that for S63 and N63 powered vehicles Dinan still sells flash ECU tunes and not all of them are CARB compliant. As Dinan can not flash tune the F-Series N55, S55, N63TU, and S63TU that is why we see the DinanTronics approach on these models.

Dinan responded to some of the questions BimmerBoost raised regarding the Dinan flash versus piggyback tuning debate but that is old news. Where we are today is that Dinan is offering a 50 state emissions legal tuning package for the modern turbo motors supplemented by Dinan's own drivetrain warranty.

For those who are apprehensive to tune or who really care about their warranty (perhaps their BMW is a lease) Dinan certainly has appeal in this area. CARB certification is a major plus and will come in handy during emissions testing. That said, for anyone with a piggyback worried about emissions testing they can simply disconnect their piggyback. Not that the BoostAddict Performance Automotive Forum Network would ever advise any activities on the road that bend or break the law.

Many of you may remember that BMS (who really would be the main piggyback tuning rival on the modern BMW turbo platforms for Dinan) ran into some CARB trouble. Dinan not having these same issues shows his reach and of course ability to get through the somewhat convoluted CARB certification process.

This news will likely make more BMW turbo owners open to tuning as it will alleviate some fears. Those with BMW tuning fears are likely not reading this website. It really comes down to do you want emissions compliance for $2000+ (depending on model) or more power for less money from other sources which come with potential risks (that are easily mitigated)?

Well the answer to that is up to you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I kinda figured they would have gone out on the limb for this status in order to make customer favor them. They are going to use it paint a black picture of their competitor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    I kinda figured they would have gone out on the limb for this status in order to make customer favor them. They are going to use it paint a black picture of their competitor
    Well it certainly fits in well with their image and market. It was a smart move.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Makes you wonder if the competition maybe caught the attention of CARB, about Burger Motorsports piggy not be emissions legal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Makes you wonder if the competition maybe caught the attention of CARB, about Burger Motorsports piggy not be emissions legal.
    I am pretty sure Dinan is trying throw BMS under the bus

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would also bet money that BMS's CARB troubles was a targeted attack from Dinan. I would personally never buy a Dinan product.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am pretty sure Dinan is trying throw BMS under the bus
    I really don't think that's fair speculation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    I would also bet money that BMS's CARB troubles was a targeted attack from Dinan. I would personally never buy a Dinan product.
    You guys are really jumping to conclusions and painting Dinan as the bad guy based on nothing more than an assumption. That isn't right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You guys are really jumping to conclusions and painting Dinan as the bad guy based on nothing more than an assumption. That isn't right.
    I will admit to jumping to conclusions but I just don't care for Dinan and their past antics.
    I understand their place in the market but like you said its not for most people on this site.
    I did say I would bet money on my assumption and never claimed it as a fact.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not that the BoostAddict Performance Automotive Forum Network would ever advise any activities on the road that bend or break the law.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    I will admit to jumping to conclusions but I just don't care for Dinan and their past antics.
    I understand their place in the market but like you said its not for most people on this site.
    I did say I would bet money on my assumption and never claimed it as a fact.
    I seriously doubt Dinan tipped of CARB or is actively going after BMS. I don't think Dinan is really aware of BMS or the BimmerBoost audience really.

To put it honestly, BMS has a few a enemies that are spiteful. Some fanboy with a Vishnu logo tattooed on his forehead could have done it, who knows. Frankly, it was just a matter of time.

There is no reason for any of us to have any hate toward Dinan. This is a good thing really and should up peoples game.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have no hate towards Dinan. They have their place in the market and competition typically results in better products. I do take issue with the hypocrisy of stating piggybacks are inferior and then releasing their own a few weeks later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I seriously doubt Dinan tipped of CARB or is actively going after BMS. I don't think Dinan is really aware of BMS or the BimmerBoost audience really.

To put it honestly, BMS has a few a enemies that are spiteful. Some fanboy with a Vishnu logo tattooed on his forehead could have done it, who knows. Frankly, it was just a matter of time.

There is no reason for any of us to have any hate toward Dinan. This is a good thing really and should up peoples game.
    If they're not aware of their direct competitors, and realistically, the current market leaders... They shouldn't, and probably won't be for long, be in business.
    boop