Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just installed Öhlins coilovers and am really happy with them. For me this is a perfect street set-up with greatly increased performance and no sacrifice in ride quality. I also plan to upgrade to M3 suspension parts, Megan Toe Arms, and Rick's differential lockdown kit in April. The Öhlins give you lots of adjustment range and let you maintain stock ride height if you want. They also force you to learn the umlaut option on your keyboard Click here to enlarge.
    2007 335i E92 | 6AT | MOTIV 750 single turbo | MOTIV port injection | Fuel-It Stage 4 LPFP | Quaife | Öhlins | Brembo | Akrapovic

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster400 Click here to enlarge
    I just installed Öhlins coilovers and am really happy with them. For me this is a perfect street set-up with greatly increased performance and no sacrifice in ride quality. I also plan to upgrade to M3 suspension parts, Megan Toe Arms, and Rick's differential lockdown kit in April. The Öhlins give you lots of adjustment range and let you maintain stock ride height if you want. They also force you to learn the umlaut option on your keyboard Click here to enlarge.
    So I take it that you kept the springs that they came with? Do you not find them too soft at all especially the rears? Did you get camber plates with them also and or any new mounts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nikitino25 Click here to enlarge
    So I take it that you kept the springs that they came with? Do you not find them too soft at all especially the rears? Did you get camber plates with them also and or any new mounts?
    I obsessed over the spring rates like you are doing now. I ended up substituting 336F/672R Swift Springs in place of the ones that came with the kit. Others have used the kit springs with good success for a daily driver so you could go either way. I did not get camber plates and just used the existing mounts.
    2007 335i E92 | 6AT | MOTIV 750 single turbo | MOTIV port injection | Fuel-It Stage 4 LPFP | Quaife | Öhlins | Brembo | Akrapovic

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster400 Click here to enlarge
    I obsessed over the spring rates like you are doing now. I ended up substituting 336F/672R Swift Springs in place of the ones that came with the kit. Others have used the kit springs with good success for a daily driver so you could go either way. I did not get camber plates and just used the existing mounts.
    Yeah, I'd probably go with the Ohlins if it wasn't for the spring rates. The swift/Ohlins combo is pretty sweet I'm sure but that might be just a little out of my range; we'll see. I guess for me it will be the KW street comforts, Ohlins, or Ground Control....haven't made up my mind yet. I may let my run flats wear out before I do anything anyway so it's no rush for me...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Best bang for the buck are going to be pss9s. I've had a set for 40k miles and they're great. Also have some m3 bits thrown on there to beef everything up which makes it that much more enjoyable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've been running KW V1s. They're good for the street, but I find them on the "soft" side. I'm looking into swapping out the springs for some linear ones.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

now to revive a dead thread...

How have the stock mounts held up to the Swifts @blaster400 on the DD?

I also have KW V1s and am considering the jump but first I need to figure good mounts but can't push for GC plates as I don't have a good alignment shop nearby and the dealer would be the first place to destroy more parts for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

We've done a LOT of suspension mods in the last year- and by far our favorite are KW's. We rarely put Bilsteins on any longer.... Ohlins if you want premium suspension.
    I'd stay away from "bargain" coil over kits, as they don't have nearly the amount of R&D into spring rates, valving, and overall construction quality.

V3's are pretty darn hard to beat.
    We've set up multiple track/street cars to be able to drop their GC or vorshlag plates to like -3.0 camber at the track with a toe adjustment, and then be able to pull it back up to -1.8-2.0 for the street, with pretty darn successful repeat-ability. We mark the plates and the tie rods where they need to be for both settings and show the customer how to do it.

We've been very happy with bimmerworld rear heim/race conversion arms, and front monoballs. In fact, we'll be doing a full rear build on Nafoo's M3 tomorrow (solid mounts/all heim joints and arms/solid diff mounts) for his M3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snertz Click here to enlarge
    Due to our MacPherson front end, going for a stiffer (to a certain extent) front bar will give you crisper turn in. Bang for the buck this is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to improve the feel on the street.
    But also increase understeer, especially in high speed sweepers if spring and shock rates are unaltered.

Funny AST and Moton go unmentioned. At least Öhlin is mentioned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That he thinks they are.
    An interesting article for the curious.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=775212

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Modernfuse Click here to enlarge
    now to revive a dead thread...

How have the stock mounts held up to the Swifts @blaster400 on the DD?

I also have KW V1s and am considering the jump but first I need to figure good mounts but can't push for GC plates as I don't have a good alignment shop nearby and the dealer would be the first place to destroy more parts for me.
    No problems whatsoever with the stock mounts. I am very happy overall with my Swift/Ohlins setup as a DD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    An interesting article for the curious.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=775212
    Definitely interesting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just get JRZ RS1 and be done with it. I've ridden in cars with Ohlin, KW, etc, and there is no comparison. It's not that much more money in the long run.
    N55 AWD World Record: X1 35i 11.930@116mph

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123