Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

ST coils too soft - stiffer springs?

I'm finding my STs are too soft for how low I am. Could I buy some stiffer springs to diminish recoil so I can keep my car as low as it is and avoid bottoming out when I load up for a road trip? With the GF, luggage, 2 gas cans of e85 and tools I find the car bottoms out on the exhaust when I hit any major bumps. Slowing to half the speed limit on freeways just to go over bumps in the road has become quite unsafe haha.
    Another question - if I purchase stiffer but shorter springs could I get a little lower and solve my recoil issue? Ideally I would like to go maybe 1/2" lower in the rear (front is fine) while keeping my ability to go up and solve the recoil.

TIA
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've looked into it, the dampers won't be happy if you go appreciably stiffer.

I agree the springs are far too soft. My rears rub with just me in the car, and if someone is in the back seat it's unacceptable amounts of rubbing.

So i'm either ditching them for Ohlins or raising the car, which I'd rather not do.
    [I]E88 N54 w stuff
    MB w205 c450

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Buy the bags to fit over the springs so you can lift it up an inch or so on command? I know they make them for our cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    I've looked into it, the dampers won't be happy if you go appreciably stiffer.

I agree the springs are far too soft. My rears rub with just me in the car, and if someone is in the back seat it's unacceptable amounts of rubbing.

So i'm either ditching them for Ohlins or raising the car, which I'd rather not do.
    Any idea what spring rates the STs run F and R? Id think we could go a couple hundred lbs stiffer and be fine on the dampers...
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Buy the bags to fit over the springs so you can lift it up an inch or so on command? I know they make them for our cars.
    For the price I would rather just buy different coils. Bags, lines, tank, compressor etc can get way too expensive for a small issue.
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wescuddles Click here to enlarge
    Any idea what spring rates the STs run F and R? Id think we could go a couple hundred lbs stiffer and be fine on the dampers...
    They're valved identically to V1s, that's all I know.

I'd talk to Harold over at HPA, he's the go to for any suspension questions I have. He was pretty adamant that a swift conversion would cause issues if we went appreciably stiffer.
    [I]E88 N54 w stuff
    MB w205 c450

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    For the price I would rather just buy different coils. Bags, lines, tank, compressor etc can get way too expensive for a small issue.
    I don't think it costs as much as you think, especially if you DIY it, but I understand where you are coming from. It sounded like you wanted to be really low which is why I suggested it.

I'm pretty sure the kit I saw went inside the spring around the strut and would only increase the height by 1 inch. Helpful for getting over speed bumps or a trip with the car loaded up. Let me try and find the kit...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think it costs as much as you think, especially if you DIY it, but I understand where you are coming from. It sounded like you wanted to be really low which is why I suggested it.

I'm pretty sure the kit I saw went inside the spring around the strut and would only increase the height by 1 inch. Helpful for getting over speed bumps or a trip with the car loaded up. Let me try and find the kit...
    Would appreciate if you did find it, thanks man
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    They're valved identically to V1s, that's all I know.

I'd talk to Harold over at HPA, he's the go to for any suspension questions I have. He was pretty adamant that a swift conversion would cause issues if we went appreciably stiffer.
    Will do! Thanks
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would appreciate if you did find it, thanks man

Found it!

http://www.dsgperformance.com/Fortun...stem-Universal

"The seals in the air cup can sustain aired-up driving; however, when the air cup is full of air the coilover springs are compressed. This effectively doubles the spring rate of the spring and ride quality will suffer."

Kit for sale here, cheaper than a new set of COs: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983675 If i'm not allowed to link to there just delete this part of the message. $1130 obo. You can probably talk him down to $1000 shipped depending on your location...

It's kind of a cool option. You should be able to mount it in the trunk so it takes up very little space if you are creative.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Found it!

http://www.dsgperformance.com/Fortun...stem-Universal

"The seals in the air cup can sustain aired-up driving; however, when the air cup is full of air the coilover springs are compressed. This effectively doubles the spring rate of the spring and ride quality will suffer."

Kit for sale here, cheaper than a new set of COs: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983675 If i'm not allowed to link to there just delete this part of the message. $1130 obo. You can probably talk him down to $1000 shipped depending on your location...

It's kind of a cool option. You should be able to mount it in the trunk so it takes up very little space if you are creative.
    thanks.

can anyone help with purchasing stiffer springs and if i'm able to go a little smaller to drop the rear a bit?
    BSM 2008 135i N54