Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

The Germans also pick the F82 M4 over the Audi RS5 - Autozeitung M4 vs. RS5 test numbers

A recent article on a quick Auto Express video comparison between the M4 and RS5 got a lot of attention partially due to just how much stronger of a performer the new M4 is over the Audi RS5. The performance comparison between the two cars is pretty one sided. Here we have much more data than the quick Auto Express video thanks to the German publication Autozeitung and although it is in German numbers are universal.

Let's start with the weight figures. The tested weight for the BMW F82 M4 is 3560 pounds. This is multiple sources now weighing the M4 in the 35XX pound range. The RS5 is the much heavier car at 3941 pounds.

The RS5's quoted horsepower figure at 450 does not mean anything as BMW's quoted 425 horsepower figure is much more in the real world. The difference between these cars is really about 100 horsepower and quite a bit of torque. The Audi with more weight, less power, and less torque is is simply overmatched.

This shows in the acceleration figures where the M4 trounces the RS5. Even though the RS5 has Quattro the M4 gets to 60 a tenth quicker at 4.2 seconds. The difference by 200 km/h (124 miles per hour) is a 1.6 seconds. The M4 is simply showing the RS5 its taillights past 60.

Around the track the RS5 gets a beatdown as well. It laps their test circuit in 1:41.5. The M4 is 2.6 seconds quicker at 1:38.9. The slalom is also in the M4's favor at 70.8 km/h to the RS5 67.5 km/h.

The M4 also has cleaner emissions and a lower price. Even its interior ergonomics are chosen over Audi which is the area Audi is traditionally praised over BMW.

What more is there to say? The M4 is on another level compared to any RS4 or RS5 model in Audi's current lineup. Audi needs a new car with more changes than just some new headlights.

Click here to enlarge
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So the m4 isn't much lighter at all than the e9x, but any bit lighter is still a win. It has to be tough for BMW to use lightweight technology and still keep the price reasonable. The light weight materials are just so much more expensive.

This could be why they are standardizing the engine/parts across the line, putting the higher cost in light weight parts.....something to think about.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bobS, interesting observation you have there. I must ponder that...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll take a heavy non-FWD car any day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That's an ass-whooping right there. I wonder how long it's going to take the idiot magazine journalists to figure out the M3/M4 twins are making A LOT more power than what they are rated at. Seriously, they're making 500hp bone stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    That's an ass-whooping right there. I wonder how long it's going to take the idiot magazine journalists to figure out the M3/M4 twins are making A LOT more power than what they are rated at. Seriously, they're making 500hp bone stock.
    I don't get why these people get paid.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^I don't get it either...it's rampant. I expect this sort of idiocy from YouTube commentors (NO! BMW says it has 425 hp!!!) not auto journalists.

M4 is definitely the class leader at the moment, Audi better have some big things planned if they even want to stay within reach. The RS5 has become suddenly extremely antiquated...funny how they still seem to be holding value on the used market. No idea why, I can only imagine it's because they make hardly any and they're so damn expensive to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't get why these people get paid.
    I assume they are journalists looking for a job at Time Magazine that settles with a Car Magazine waiting for their dream job. And then they read car magazines to learn about cars, its an evil circle of miss-information Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    ^I don't get it either...it's rampant. I expect this sort of idiocy from YouTube commentors (NO! BMW says it has 425 hp!!!) not auto journalists.

M4 is definitely the class leader at the moment, Audi better have some big things planned if they even want to stay within reach. The RS5 has become suddenly extremely antiquated...funny how they still seem to be holding value on the used market. No idea why, I can only imagine it's because they make hardly any and they're so damn expensive to begin with.
    I think that is the reason it is holding its value. It's a very nice car, really. I like it just in stock form it obviously can't compete performance wise.

It is a beautiful design inside and out but Audi should have retired that motor 8 years ago if they were serious about performance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't understand why BMW wouldn't give the s55 a real hp rating... Why under rate it? It's not that close to the m5
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I don't understand why BMW wouldn't give the s55 a real hp rating... Why under rate it? It's not that close to the m5
    Several reasons. First of all, so they do not appear to be engaging in a power war (although they are). Secondly, so the car appears more 'efficient' because of how fast it is with 'only' 425 horsepower. BMW can now claim the car is faster thanks to be lighter. Finally, it throws off the competition. Mercedes and Audi are developing cars and motors right now. BMW announces 425 horsepower so Audi and Mercedes have their targets. BMW then throws them off their game by giving it the wheel hp it has at the crank.

Also, it allows M5/M6 owners to maintain their idiotic illusion of superiority.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol.....

I look at it another way. BMW should dare them to make such a engine, with good fuel economy and good performance. The rivals will look at the cars performance and see it's more than 425hp.

Also, besides enthusiasts, most people won't understand the underrating and they will lose sales if mere Mercedes comes out with a true 440 hp rival. People will want the more powerful car and not realize they are passing up a s55 that is underrated. It's risky IMO.

The HP war is there....whether BMW likes it or not
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, besides enthusiasts, most people won't understand the underrating and they will lose sales if mere Mercedes comes out with a true 440 hp rival.
    I wish I could say people are not this stupid but they are. When I see journalists who do this professionally not grasping it how will the average person? I don't think the power alone will dictate sales as it didn't with the E92 M3.

The HP war is there....whether BMW likes it or not
    BMW fully recognizes it and participates in it. The Competition Package was not just for fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dodge gets it... The hellcat shows that. These engines take a while to develop, BMW would just slap the real hp figure on the m4 and dare the competition to best it.... IMO
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dodge gets it... The hellcat shows that. These engines take a while to develop, BMW would just slap the real hp figure on the m4 and dare the competition to best it.... IMO
    I think BMW's approach is smarter. Dodge now officially is in a war with Ford who is forced to counter back with a larger HP figure.

Better to play conservative and let the car do the talking IMO rather than get into a war on paper.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think BMW's approach is smarter. Dodge now officially is in a war with Ford who is forced to counter back with a larger HP figure.

Better to play conservative and let the car do the talking IMO rather than get into a war on paper.
    Agreed with this...deception is important in warfare.