Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

2015 Subaru WRX STI vs. 2014 Porsche 981 Cayman 1/4 mile and standing mile drag race

Obviously, these are two very different vehicles. The Porsche Cayman is a mid-engine rear wheel drive sports car with naturally aspirated power from its 2.7 liter direct injected flat-6. The 275 horsepower motor is an excellent powerplant winning several awards and it does an admirable and efficient job hustling this 3059 pound 6-speed Cayman forward. The STI on the other hand is a front engine all wheel drive sedan with turbocharged power.

Click here to enlarge

It is heavier at at 3367 pounds although Subaru should be commended for producing an all wheel drive turbocharged four-door in the 3300 pound range. It has a smaller 2.5 liter boxer four-cylinder although it is turbocharged. The STI has more power though rated at 305 horsepower and much more torque with 290 lb-ft to the Cayman's 213 lb-ft.

The STI gets the lead off the line thanks to all wheel drive traction and holds it through the 1/4 mile. The STI runs 13.8 @ 101.9 to the Cayman 14.2 @ 101.2. The Cayman is starting to reel the STI in ever so slowly past the 1/4 mile marker though. The elapsed time at the mile marker is even between the two cars with a 35.8 second sprint. The Cayman is pulling harder at the mile marker though at 140.4 miles per hour to the STI's 135.2.

So what does this tell us? That if you own an STI race a Cayman from a stop. If you have a Cayman, race an STI from a roll. The longer the race the more it favors the Porsche. Additionally, it would be interesting to see the difference the PDK transmission would make here as it should make the 1/4 mile much closer between the two.

Overall a very well done video with supplemental data from Automobile.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the sad part? the STI costs a LOT less stock and modding, is bigger, and you can daily it and winter..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "I'm turning Japanese, I'm turning Japanese"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    the sad part? the STI costs a LOT less stock and modding, is bigger, and you can daily it and winter..
    That's not really sad they are very different types of cars. You can add as much power to an STI as you want but it will never drive or feel like the Cayman.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have you ever been inside an STI? The materials are appalling. They aren't built poorly, but there is no sound deadening hardly, no insulation, everything rattles and vibrates, there is not that much space anywhere, there's not many amenities, it's a very solid but very basic turbo AWD rocket. It also is heavier than the Cayman and will never feel as good through the corners.

The Cayman is easily 3x as nice as the STI inside. Of course there is a healthy profit margin built into the MSRP, but that's the price you pay to have a car of that caliber.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Have you ever been inside an STI? The materials are appalling. They aren't built poorly, but there is no sound deadening hardly, no insulation, everything rattles and vibrates, there is not that much space anywhere, there's not many amenities, it's a very solid but very basic turbo AWD rocket.
    I have to agree with this strongly. My friends STI felt exactly like this. However, it also gives the car this raw feeling.

The new one is probably more refined.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it is a bit. Definitely gives it a raw driving feel, my buddy had a WRX with a bunch of STI stuff on it for a while and even with 350 hp you felt like it was out-of-control.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Have you ever been inside an STI? The materials are appalling. They aren't built poorly, but there is no sound deadening hardly, no insulation, everything rattles and vibrates, there is not that much space anywhere, there's not many amenities, it's a very solid but very basic turbo AWD rocket. It also is heavier than the Cayman and will never feel as good through the corners.

The Cayman is easily 3x as nice as the STI inside. Of course there is a healthy profit margin built into the MSRP, but that's the price you pay to have a car of that caliber.
    Thats kinda the whole point, it's not a E class lol, it's meant to be raw and all about performance. When I think of performance cars, I don't give a $#@! how many luxury items like drivers assist packs an idrive that it has, I care about how it performs. That's why the sti is great, not everyone cares about sound deadening and massaging seats. There's a market segment for that.
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I have to agree with this strongly. My friends STI felt exactly like this. However, it also gives the car this raw feeling.

The new one is probably more refined.
    The new WRX/STi has a significantly better interior than the previous generation. It's still no Porsche.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    The new WRX/STi has a significantly better interior than the previous generation. It's still no Porsche.
    I'm sure it is better but does the car feel different?

The raw feeling of the previous STI gave it an awesome sensation of speed. It felt like the car might fall apart but it definitely offered a nice feeling. BMW's for example are way more isolated in this respect. Also why they have to pipe in artificial sound.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure it is better but does the car feel different?
    It feels much more solid. The chassis is very stiff and the steering is quick. It's a really fun car to drive.

Subaru did opt to plumb a noise generator (a la BRZ) into the STi intake. It sounds terrible and much more intrusive than the BRZ noise generator. If I owned an STi, removing it would be the first thing I'd do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you're not really supposed to compare these cars at all but if you're going to do that in a performance discussion the wrx is the better deal. blame porsche for holding the cayman back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you're not really supposed to compare these cars at all but if you're going to do that in a performance discussion the wrx is the better deal. blame porsche for holding the cayman back.
    The WRX is not the better performance car. It's the more affordable performance car.

This was not a Cayman S with PDK which would spank the STI.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The WRX is not the better performance car. It's the more affordable performance car.

But at twice the cost. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have the cayman. That being Said I'd take the cayman but it doesn't discount the fact the sti is a phenomenal car for the price.
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

no it's not a better performance car but it is a better deal for performance and practicality, you get almost as much performance and you can make it your daily for half the price of the cayman. of course there is a market for both cars, I prefer the cayman

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We all agree the STI is the better value.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Had the good luck of driving a 2014 Cayman S with the PDK for a week, its a brilliant car, luxury interior, looks great and handles better than anything I ever driven.

I dont think the Subaru can be compared, it has nothing on the Cayman imo...sure it a affordable more practical car. But if thats the road you want to go down a Toyota Corolla is a more affordable and practical car than the Sub and so on....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    "I'm turning Japanese, I'm turning Japanese"
    The image in my mind

The STI used to be a lightweight brilliant little car... it is now a tacky not so light-weight slug... bigger and uglier than ever, but like most Subarus they are really tough..... Cayman is a nice car and I would NEVER BUY ONE
    Driving fresh air now

Recent Past
    2015 McLaren 650S
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Cayman is a nice car and I would NEVER BUY ONE
    I kind of agree, but everyone should drive one once, its the benchmark for a "balanced" car. If all cars handled this well the world would be a better place Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    The image in my mind

The STI used to be a lightweight brilliant little car... it is now a tacky not so light-weight slug... bigger and uglier than ever, but like most Subarus they are really tough..... Cayman is a nice car and I would NEVER BUY ONE
    It's still pretty light for what it is. It's never been beautiful...