Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

M4 vs C63 507 || Autocar test

Man that M4 engine -___- Need a beautiful high tech V8 back in there..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The winner for this kind of test used to be a given in the e46 days...

Click here to enlarge

/
    //A L E X A N D R E ' S Photography///AlxPhotog.COM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ; (

"No whap whap response". "You lose the throttle response". "Throttle response is soft."

That is the best part of NA cars...even when they are slower.

Next M3/M4 will be dope. Early wish list:

-CFRP chassis
    -Batteries for torque fill to eliminate complaints above
    -New exhaust to improve sound
    2009 BMW E92 M3 | 2012 BMW X5 35d | 2008 Ferrari 430 Scuderia | 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    The winner for this kind of test used to be a given in the e46 days...
    I actually view this as a good thing - means the competition is more fierce which should benefit everyone.
    2009 BMW E92 M3 | 2012 BMW X5 35d | 2008 Ferrari 430 Scuderia | 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    First comparo and first loss for the M4.

Not only does he really not like the S55, but he prefers the C63 steering. Also was a fan of the C63 chassis.
    Last edited by M3_WC; 05-14-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    I actually view this as a good thing - means the competition is more fierce which should benefit everyone.
    Definitely agree with you there, but on the downside BMW hasn't been able to improve at the same rate as the competition to maintain that same gap. Harder to improve when you're the benchmark I suppose...

Click here to enlarge

/
    //A L E X A N D R E ' S Photography///AlxPhotog.COM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Not only does he really not like the S55, but he prefers the C63 steering.
    because electric steering is $#@!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Funny to see all the fanboys on the other site getting upset over this comparo. Worst part is Sutcliffe is one of more well respected reviewers in the business.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    First comparo and first loss for the M4.

Not only does he really not like the S55, but he prefers the C63 steering. Also was a fan of the C63 chassis.
    Great points! I have never seen a comparo with a E92 vs a C63, and the tester walk away with liking the chassis and steering so much on the C63 lol.. Comapred to the C63, the M4 sounds like a prius.. really horrible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I test drove a C63 and an E92 M3 back to back 2 years ago. The C63 felt SO much faster. The M3 did handle much better but felt gutless. I was driving my 335i around at that time so it was much faster than both cars I test drove but...... MB is certainly on a roll with the C63. It's one of my favorite cars.
    2016 340xi AT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I remember when the 335i went into limp mode on one of the first test drives I watched. I was a little saddened. I wouldn't be too concerned about a review this early in the life of the S55.
    2016 340xi AT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Autocar 2015 F82 M4 vs W204 C63 AMG 507 comparison

Mercedes fans will be quick to point out that the W205 generation C63 AMG is coming and the brand new F82 M4 is being compared to a car about to be replaced. They are right but considering that the new C63 AMG is not out the C63 AMG 507 is the best choice available from AMG for this comparison. The 507 denoting that the car has 507 horsepower exceeding that of the optional P31 performance package which is rated at 481.

Click here to enlarge

Essentially, short of the more expensive C63 Black Series this is the highest performance C63 one can buy. On paper, the C63 has the power advantage over the M4's 425 horses and the torque advantage at 450 lb-ft to the M4's 406 lb-ft. The C63 is heavier by about 427 pounds which is significant. This M4 features a dual clutch transmission while the C63 is an MCT 7-speed auto (not a dual clutch as Autocar states).

We have a basic idea as to how Autocar feels about the new M3/M4 considering previous statements about the F80 M3 and criticism of the new turbocharged engine. Autocar likes the M156 under the hood of the C63. They really like it and who can blame them? A big 6.2 liter V8 revving to 7200 rpm is just straight German muscle from AMG. We will not see a motor like this again, at least from the Germans.

The M4 feels lighter on its feet which is no surprise. It is much lighter. The C63 is said to feel old fashioned. The differences in the motors of course highlights this the most. One is the result of ecological pressure and cutting costs and the other is just raw V8 muscle. Which do you prefer? The reviewer states the C63 engine feels like it is from another era but has GM not proved ecological technology can be blended successfully with a large V8? The statements about being from another era are not fair as if GM can build a 6.2 liter V8 passing today's emissions standards Mercedes certainly can as well.

Now as far as this being a comparison test, it isn't. It's a subject comparison. Where are the numbers? Where is the race between the two? Where are the laptimes? We get some quoted 0-60 figures but considering how much 0-60 varies based on available traction this is essentially worthless. This is not a comparison test, this is the reviewer sitting there and telling us a story.

Autocar, give us numbers. Give us a real test. Calling this a head to head comparison insults our intelligence. This is a preview of a test if anything.

The 'review' concludes with the C63 being the car the reviewer would choose between the two. His reasoning as to why is sound. It offers that extra response and raw element that the new M3/M4 simply can not match. No amount of improvement in the M3's emissions will change that.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just bought a C63 and also have had an M3 for a few years. I love it. Minus the headbolt issue. Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What really sums it up is the lip smacking good at the end.