Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Strangers in the Night...

I'm coming home down the Westpark Tollway here in Houston doing about 80 or so, and there's this Mercedes C230 roughly 2 or 3 carlengths ahead of me. He's doing about the same speed as I am so I'm content. We're slowly creeping up to what appears from the rear to have tail lights similar to a Jag XK-E. Upon closer approach, I see a Texas vanity plate.

"BMW E9"

Oh, my sweet lord, it's a beautiful 3.0 CSL with a guy and his wife in it (a few years past middle age perhaps, but definitely not of retirement age). After about a mile or so I'm finally side by side with him and peep the horn twice and wave at the driver. He seems pleased and impressed with my E39 and I thought that was that and we'll just continue about our commute.

The C230 apparently gets comfortable with the area and speeds up to about 95. I know this area like the back of my hand and know full-well that the next 3 or 4 miles before my exit is perfectly flat, smooth and cop free. That being said, I drop down a gear and we're now up to 130. The climb from 80 to 130 was over in a few seconds and the merc didn't stand a chance.

The shocker is I'm glancing in my rear-view mirror and I see yellow round headlights right behind me. That damn CSL kept up with me lane for lane, mph for mph without so much a fuss as I'd expect from a 35+ year old car with L-jet electrics. My only advantage was torque and gearing which would allow me to pull away quicker, but as soon as I'd settle down, he'd be right back up behind me. Approaching my exit, the C230 pulls a loser's fly-by after I'm already back down to 70.

Coincidentally we end up on the same exit, and I think he's going to pull over at the corner gas station just to say hi, but I guess him and the wife had their fun and headed home. I had to stop a minute and grab a smoke and let my heart rate come back down a few ticks before making the last 2 miles through my neighborhood; Not for the speed involved, but just the amazement of how great that CSL really is.

I definitely want one before this life is over. What a great car. I'd really like to meet the owner of it just to voice that opinion.

Anyone know of a mint condition dark blue E9 in the Houston area with the plate "BMW E9" ??
    Last edited by Snakeyestx; 09-16-2010 at 12:48 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

'97 540i/6
    '97 528iA
    '95 525i - KIA 4/10/2008
    '87 535iS-A

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    C230's have been getting beat up on lately.

I'm curious about the E9 though, very curious. What could it possible have under the hood that would allow it to hang? An S38?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This thing looked like a time capsule. It made a great noise and I think it could probably do 130 without too much fuss. It was in my head all night though. Even the light pattern in the rear view mirror was memorable. The lights are set far apart. After I thought I was long gone, I swore an old Camaro was behind me, until I noticed the side slung turn signals barely visible from the front.

How they ever got past US regulations for those is beyond me, but I'm glad they did so we can have one Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

'97 540i/6
    '97 528iA
    '95 525i - KIA 4/10/2008
    '87 535iS-A

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been trying to find who this car might belong to but no look so far, I'll keep looking.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I sorta found him... I did a quick search for Houston-area E9's and sure enough he was at a gathering of them not too long ago. I'd love to invite him out to the Uptown Park get-togethers.

It was this guy... that car is unmistakable. found this on a short search for Houston area E9's
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

'97 540i/6
    '97 528iA
    '95 525i - KIA 4/10/2008
    '87 535iS-A

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Excellent work, I was scouring e9coupe.com and couldn't find it.