Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mercedes-Benz calls itself Aston Martin's sugar daddy - Will not take over Aston fully for now, AMG will just supply engines and technology

Rumors are swirling that Mercedes-Benz may fully take Aston Martin over. These rumors led to head of AMG Tobias Moers sitting down with Top Gear UK to clear the air. Mr. Moers states that Aston Martin would likely be dead (or dying) if it was not for the Mercedes-Benz and Aston Martin technology sharing agreement. He puts it best, "We provide them with the engines and the electronic architecture – this is something that can kill you if you don't have an automotive sugar daddy.”

Click here to enlarge

That is somewhat funny to read but very true. Aston Martin needs a sugar daddy and Mercedes is filling that role for them. AMG is not doing this because they are good samaritans but because it is business. Aston Martin is trading something for Mercedes / AMG technology and that something is money. AMG is turning a profit on the engine deal as they should.

Moers states that Aston Martin has homework to do regarding integrating AMG technology into its cars. For now, it appears Aston Martin's will not be rebadged or reskinned Mercedes platforms but simply using the drivetrains. He plays coy about sharing entire platforms saying nobody has time to discuss those rumors right now. He could take a second to simply say 'no' but he does not.

For now, Aston Martin is not getting taken over or bought out. It sure looks like AMG and Aston are getting pretty cozy. This relationship is going to get much closer over the next few years as Aston snuggles with its sugar daddy.

Source
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At some point, if this joint venture proves successful Daimler will acquire Aston Martin Lagonda. And I really don't see how it cannot be successful.

Aston needs new engines and electronic, but really they are in dire need of a new platform. And the more modular the better, as they can stylistically make changes and broaden the range to include more niches.

Aston Martin is just not competitive in any segment they are in, and they knew it but lacked capital to do anything about it. Essentially they are a very small niche manufacturer, with no money and dated products.

But the new Vanquish Volante is absolutely gorgeous to look at and listen to, but at $315, 000 there are a lot more "modern" cars one could purchase. And that is the problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
    if this joint venture proves successful Daimler will acquire Aston Martin Lagonda. And I really don't see how it cannot be successful.
    Exactly what I'm thinking.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    ^I think you nailed it...this is most likely just the beginning stages of what might be a full takeover. I would get behind that 100%. Look at where Lamborghini was before VAG brought them in. Or Bentley. Or Rolls-Royce before BMW came along. There can be nothing but good things here.

Even as it stands, this agreement is excellent. The electronics inside current AM cars are just horrible....every time I'm in one, I just can't help but be disappointed. The swtichgear is cheap, the infotainment system is beyond terrible, the displays are last-decade at best. Also they are not the most reliable in that department either. Also, despite the fact that their V8 and V12 are some of the best-sounding engines ever made, they are also woefully underpowered and outdated. They're both way beyond their useful lives. They could benefit heavily from AMG there too. Even the now seemingly centuries old VH platform could be a whole new beast with a modern electronics suite, and a drivetrain from AMG. I'd actually want one again. Right now, there is no reason to buy anything they make over any other alternatives except for pure style. And that's not good enough. If the car sucks, good looks and a nice exhaust note can only get you so far.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    ^I think you nailed it...this is most likely just the beginning stages of what might be a full takeover. I would get behind that 100%. Look at where Lamborghini was before VAG brought them in. Or Bentley. Or Rolls-Royce before BMW came along. There can be nothing but good things here.

Even as it stands, this agreement is excellent. The electronics inside current AM cars are just horrible....every time I'm in one, I just can't help but be disappointed. The swtichgear is cheap, the infotainment system is beyond terrible, the displays are last-decade at best. Also they are not the most reliable in that department either. Also, despite the fact that their V8 and V12 are some of the best-sounding engines ever made, they are also woefully underpowered and outdated. They're both way beyond their useful lives. They could benefit heavily from AMG there too. Even the now seemingly centuries old VH platform could be a whole new beast with a modern electronics suite, and a drivetrain from AMG. I'd actually want one again. Right now, there is no reason to buy anything they make over any other alternatives except for pure style. And that's not good enough. If the car sucks, good looks and a nice exhaust note can only get you so far.
    AM is becoming so irrelevant in my eyes, this may help save them. Has anyone else noticed the 2014 Ford Fusion appears to have stolen all of AM's design language? I swear I see one once a week in the rearview and think - "oh cool, here comes an AM...oh it's a Ford."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    AM is becoming so irrelevant in my eyes, this may help save them. Has anyone else noticed the 2014 Ford Fusion appears to have stolen all of AM's design language? I swear I see one once a week in the rearview and think - "oh cool, here comes an AM...oh it's a Ford."
    I'm embarrassed to say I do the same thing...which seems silly because nothing really about the Fusion and a DB9 looks the same..but the general styling cues used in the grill and headlights are similar. Somehow, honest to god, a Fusion looks like an AM coming towards you. Crazy.