Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Hybrid AMG's are coming

Pick your jaw up off the floor, everything is going to be ok. Head of AMG Tobias Moers was asked whether AMG would go hybrid at the New York Auto Show. His response to the question was, “Honestly, I would say yes for sure [we will make hybrid AMGs]. I can’t say when for sure but we have already started a lot of research.” Do not expect the next generation C63 to go hybrid or any AMG models coming out in the next couple years but they are in the pipeline.

There likely are those out there who think this means a weaker AMG vehicle or that a C63 will suddenly become a glorified Prius. If the Porsche 918 Spyder and the McLaren P1 have shown us anything it is that high performance hybrids are not only possible, they are the future.

Those two supercars obviously carry a premium price but AMG will no doubt make high performance hybrid technology more affordable. This means tuning will get more complicated and upgrading your AMG may not just involve bigger turbos but bigger batteries. Whether you like this thought or not hybrid AMG's are on the way and likely will appear by 2020.

Click here to enlarge

Source
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    MBZ sees the writing on the wall, I imagine BMW probably has plans of their own too. All the low end torque we know these cars for now.. with electric motors they will be mindbogglingly quick off the line. I'm excited.. 600+ horsepower and double/triple the mpg numbers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Drunkenup Click here to enlarge
    MBZ sees the writing on the wall, I imagine BMW probably has plans of their own too. All the low end torque we know these cars for now.. with electric motors they will be mindbogglingly quick off the line. I'm excited.. 600+ horsepower and double/triple the mpg numbers
    BMW is already doing it with the i8. The problem is they aren't applying the hybrid technology toward M while AMG is embracing it. AMG again proves it is more enthusiast focused.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have no problem with this, so long as they can keep the weight down. I have no problem with a performance car having 2 (or more) power sources. There are some excellent possibilities here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    I have no problem with this, so long as they can keep the weight down. I have no problem with a performance car having 2 (or more) power sources. There are some excellent possibilities here.
    Trouble is, Merc has enough trouble keeping the weight down with only one power source, let alone two.... Click here to enlarge
    2007 B7 Audi RS4 MTM Supercharger, Stasis Ohlin Suspension, Red-"The Cherry Bomb."
    2012 Audi R8V10 ESS Supercharger, GMG Exhaust/130R Wheels, H&R Springs, Silver/CF-"The Silver Bullet."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by al pettee Click here to enlarge
    Trouble is, Merc has enough trouble keeping the weight down with only one power source, let alone two.... Click here to enlarge
    Haha. True. Although that's starting to change I hope. Especially as they move to smaller IC engines and use more composites. The new C Class has lost a couple hundred pounds without trying too hard, I feel like in the near future cars from BMW, Audi, and Mercedes will be 300-500 pounds lighter than they are now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    The new C Class has lost a couple hundred pounds without trying too hard
    This has yet to be determined. With how manufacturers are playing with numbers I want to see independently tested weights before proclaiming a car is lighter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This has yet to be determined. With how manufacturers are playing with numbers I want to see independently tested weights before proclaiming a car is lighter.
    Yeah true there's been some slight-of-hand with this. Still reeling from the M3 numbers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah true there's been some slight-of-hand with this. Still reeling from the M3 numbers.
    The X5 ended up being the exact same weight so I think BMW just doesn't even care. Say one thing in a press release and then who cares if it is accurate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The X5 ended up being the exact same weight so I think BMW just doesn't even care. Say one thing in a press release and then who cares if it is accurate.
    Yeah I don't understand what the hell is happening. Wonder if the euro cars weigh less or...