Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Droptop front engine rear wheel drive V8 luxury coupe showdown - EVO compares the Jaguar XKR-S to the Mercedes SL63 AMG

Here are two beautiful luxury convertibles from Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz both with boosted V8's and both sending power to the rear wheels. The R231 SL63 AMG is leaner and meaner than the previous generation R230 model. It has a twin turbo 5.5 liter M157 V8 under the hood putting out 530 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. The XKR-S has a 5.0 liter V8 under the hood but it is supercharged giving an output of 550 horsepower and 501 pound-feet of torque.

Click here to enlarge

So more power on paper but less torque for the XKR-S. You might think power to weight would be in its favor with its convertible soft top versus the hard top on the SL but at 4,079 pounds it barely undercuts the 4106 pound SL63 AMG. Torque to weight is certainly in the AMG's favor and if these cars hit a dyno power to weight likely would be in the SL's favor also.

The SL is the first to hit the track and does a 1:23.9 laptime. It is more of a GT than a sports car but it shows minimal body roll. The XKR-S is said to feel lighter with its steering but that it has more body roll. It also struggles to put its power down essentially constantly wanting to be sideways. That certainly is a fun personality compared to the SL63's business like demeanor but it does not result in a quicker lap. The Jaguar does a much slower 1:25.7.

The Jaguar certainly appears to have the more entertaining personality of the two but it also looks to be a bit of a handful that struggles on the track. Is that more fun? Well, that depends on your personality.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    SL63> Jaguar

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    SL63> Jaguar
    That's the conclusion EVO came to.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll take the XKR-S any day

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't like convertibles. Unless the car was built to be one it just adds to much weight. But because I don't like convertibles I won't own an S2000 or a Miata.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Jag is pretty but...that's about it. SL63 every day of the week. It's a far more competent car. And gorgeous. I know everyone hates them but I absolutely love the R231s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    The Jag is pretty but...that's about it. SL63 every day of the week. It's a far more competent car. And gorgeous. I know everyone hates them but I absolutely love the R231s.
    Who hates the R231? I like it a lot just don't feel it looks different enough from the R230. What matters is what they changed under the skin though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Who hates the R231? I like it a lot just don't feel it looks different enough from the R230. What matters is what they changed under the skin though.
    Oh man I've seen so much hate, and I never understood it. Generally from the unwashed masses who will never get within 50 feet of one mostly. I actually (and this always seems to be the case for me with MB designs) thought it was a huge departure at first but am starting to see the similarities as time goes on.

Under the skin they are a crazy improvement over the old one. I'm really glad they worked so hard to really turn these things into competent cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Oh man I've seen so much hate, and I never understood it. Generally from the unwashed masses who will never get within 50 feet of one mostly. I actually (and this always seems to be the case for me with MB designs) thought it was a huge departure at first but am starting to see the similarities as time goes on.

Under the skin they are a crazy improvement over the old one. I'm really glad they worked so hard to really turn these things into competent cars.
    The only thing I didn't like is that the styling IMO wasn't much of a departure. But then the R230 also doesn't look super dated namely the facelift.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah the 230 facelift was huge...although I think the 231 is more elegant. I'm really excited to see what the facelift for the 231 brings - hopefully they don't ruin the looks, and also hopefully it finally gets the new dual-screen COMMAND.