Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Volkswagen may enter the US truck market - Internal discussion taking place over Amarok pickup truck

Volkswagen sales in the United States just are not very good. VW just does not seem to understand the US market and for whatever reason does not bring over desirable models such as the Scirocco. VW also does not bring over their Amarok truck despite the truck crazy North American market. Volkswagen apparently thinks the Amarok is too small of a truck to succeed in the USA although with the absence of the Ford Ranger and Colorado/Canyon from General Motors the argument can certainly be made for a small truck having potential buyers.

Volkswagen apparently is considering making a new, larger Amarok rather than importing the current truck. While the internal debate rages what exactly is wrong with offering a small truck? The American truck market is flooded with big truck options. Why not offer something different? Maybe a smaller, lighter, and more efficient truck with a diesel?

Volkswagen is going to do whatever it is going to do but all they seem to be consistent on is getting the US market wrong.

Click here to enlarge

Source
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That looks dope!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it's a cool truck. They really don't need to reinvent the wheel here. Just use what you are designed, price it well, and sell it. What's so damn complicated?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think it's a cool truck. They really don't need to reinvent the wheel here. Just use what you are designed, price it well, and sell it. What's so damn complicated?
    Agreed.. That truck pictured, it looks clean, useful, and functional, if they try too hard, usually when it ends up being Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A lot of people would like a smaller truck with a diesel option. I would.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A lot of people would like a smaller truck with a diesel option. I would.
    If this things comes turbo diesel! It will 100% be my next auto purchase!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    If this things comes turbo diesel! It will 100% be my next auto purchase!
    See VW? There's a market for it.

Whatever, Volkswagen makes stupid decisions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Even the tt4cylinder could do the job with 400+ hp. I agree they don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is definitely a market for this. Right now the only small pick up is the Toyota Tacoma. GM is relaunching the Colorado but that's it...

For some reason, Americans like big gas hog pickups.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If they want to sell it, keep it this size. Going larger will put it in F150 territory and that just will not work.

A small truck like this with a diesel option along with their normal v6 with a price tag under $30k will sell (maybe an r-line with the ea888 out of the mk7 golf-r for a bit more)

Do you know how many people in the VW scene would buy one of these if they're able to tow their mk1 to one of the handful of huge VAG meets?

Or drop the Ttrs 2.5t engine in there with the DSG and AWD and open up the tuning scene with a replacement for the old syclone. One can dream.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's like Volkswagen just knows how to F up everything that would sell well in the USA.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Then they complain that their sales are poor, despite the fact that one out of every 5 females between 16-22 have owned a Jetta.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd seriously rock a TDI truck. I dealt with Tacoma diesels over seas and those thing ran like champs! So a TDI truck for light towing and picking up 80 inch LED tvs i'm in!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, never, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and that's it. I would never even think about buying another truck. Tundra's are nice, but too tall of a bed, big gaudy front end, over priced, and oh yeah, that toyota logo on the front bumper...Nissan Titan is well...a Nissan Titan if you are buying this truck it was a last resort.

Murica! We do trucks!
    2013 Audi S6 stock but shopping....
    2014 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins. Far from stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    Then they complain that their sales are poor, despite the fact that one out of every 5 females between 16-22 have owned a Jetta.
    Chicks in Jettas tend to be hot too. I don't get it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    I'd seriously rock a TDI truck. I dealt with Tacoma diesels over seas and those thing ran like champs! So a TDI truck for light towing and picking up 80 inch LED tvs i'm in!
    I'd rock the TDI truck too. I hate my Nissan Frontier. I honestly hate the POS truck. It's f'ing junk. I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd rock the TDI truck too. I hate my Nissan Frontier. I honestly hate the POS truck. It's f'ing junk. I would buy this in a heartbeat.
    "

LMFAO I've replaced a Clutch in a Frontier talk about a pain in the ass. They have so much extra $#@! in the way you have to remove to take off the damn transmission! Then put everything back together just right!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    "

LMFAO I've replaced a Clutch in a Frontier talk about a pain in the ass. They have so much extra $#@! in the way you have to remove to take off the damn transmission! Then put everything back together just right!
    I wish I never bought the Frontier but the truck is worth less than some of the pairs of shoes I own so I'm stuck with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The US truck market is huge, but I suspect the part of the US truck market that would consider anything other than the big 3 is much smaller. And in that part of the segment, VW must compete with Toyota and Honda, who both make their trucks in US factories, which must help offset some of the reluctance of some to buy a foreign maker product.

Put another way, can the market for Tacoma and Ridgeline really accommodate another product entry from VW?

edit... Forgot about Nissan and the Frontier. VW's real advantage is the TDi, which would be really cool in a small truck for sure.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    VW must compete with Toyota and Honda, who both make their trucks in US factories, which must help offset some of the reluctance of some to buy a foreign maker product.
    You hit the nail on the head here. This the key.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! yea the gods have listened to me FINALLY yes I will buy one to compliment my 335d and use it to go the mountains here in Puerto Rico and compete, hurry up VWoA I wanted one since last year!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem is they won't bring this one in for sale. They will produce an all new bigger truck and who knows how many years off that is if they even decide to do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And that SUCKS cause most of us want the smaller version TDi