Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mercedes-Benz sponsors a runway racing event for charity - Watch the SLS GT, SL63 AMG, C63 AMG BS, M3 GTS, Lamborghini Aventador, and Ferrari FF go at it

How awesome is this? Talk about supporting a charity in a very cool way. Much respect to Mercedes-Benz who helped rent out the Edinburgh airport for a roll on racing event to benefit Prince and Princess of Wales Hospice and the Scottish Burned Children's Club. This definitely shows that runway top end racing is gaining popularity with the mainstream. As the event was sponsored by Mercedes several of their vehicles of course were in attendance for journalists to race.

Click here to enlarge

The first race shows the SLS AMG GT and the Mercedes W204 C63 AMG going head to head for the 1350 meter set running length. The SLS AMG GT completes the the distance in 26.94 seconds at 170.6 miles per hour to the C63's 27.27 at 168.8. The SLS had a terrible start but still pulled in the end. It is surprising how close the C63 was to it though.

The new M157 powered SL63 AMG went head to head with a Lamborghini Aventador in the next race. The result predictably had the Aventador coming out on top but the SL63 did quite well especially when put in the context of the SLS GT:

Click here to enlarge

The W204 C63 AMG Black Series also had a go at it in the next run but was surprisingly slow with its 160.3 mile per hour trap speed. The aero package appears to have hurt its top end:

Click here to enlarge

This next race is one that could only happen overseas as the E92 M3 GTS is not available in the United States due to some idiotic policies and decisions. Regardless, the E92 M3 GTS got creamed and lost to an E63 AMG S wagon which is not too surprising consider the power disparity to the twin turbo V8 of the E63:

Click here to enlarge

How about an all wheel drive Ferrari FF hatchback going against a Porsche 997 Turbo? Hell of a matchup and the all wheel drive naturally aspirated Ferrari surprisingly takes it:

Click here to enlarge

The final race is the Ferrari FF and the Aventador. Check out the video below for the result of the matchup between the fastest cars of the day.

BenzBoost would like to add it has tremendous respect for Mercedes sponsoring a runway event like this and doing so for charity. Allowing enthusiasts to enjoy these high powered cars in a safe environment while benefiting others is just flat out admirable. This is the type of company the members here want to support.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dont have audio on my computer right now. So these cars were all bone stock? Suprised to see the c63 do so well and much faster top end than the black series i guess the aero package is added a $#@!load of drag killing its top end. The c63 also got a higher trap speed then the 911 turbo which is pretty impressive. Looks like a 997?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    Dont have audio on my computer right now. So these cars were all bone stock? Suprised to see the c63 do so well and much faster top end than the black series i guess the aero package is added a $#@!load of drag killing its top end. The c63 also got a higher trap speed then the 911 turbo which is pretty impressive. Looks like a 997?
    It looks like they were all stock. Obviously that was not all the cars in attendance.

The 911 Turbo is a 997.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn makes it even more impressive that's a great showing for a stock c63. It's the facelift to with MCT and most likely p31 package

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool event, I like the fact they are all stock. See what these things do from factory.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    Damn makes it even more impressive that's a great showing for a stock c63. It's the facelift to with MCT and most likely p31 package
    I would lean towards P31 too based on the result.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I would lean towards P31 too based on the result.
    I hope for MB sake that there were different drivers.

How does an SL beat an SLS?

And good lord the C63 beats the C63 Black?

If it was the same driver, MB just did a great endoresment on how to save 50K and go faster, LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    How does an SL beat an SLS?
    Launch, driver, etc. The SL63 isn't that far behind the SLS they are fairly close. The SL63 is the lightest MB with the M157 now.

And good lord the C63 beats the C63 Black?
    Aero.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Launch, driver, etc. The SL63 isn't that far behind the SLS they are fairly close. The SL63 is the lightest MB with the M157 now.

Aero.
    My friend, we are still talking about some SERIOUS coin between these models. As a proud MB owner/enthuisist, I am a bit set off.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My friend, we are still talking about some SERIOUS coin between these models. As a proud MB owner/enthuisist, I am a bit set off.Click here to enlarge
    You see the difference in the coin AROUND the track not just on the straightaway. It has the aero kit for a reason. To increase downforce, not reduce it for trap speed.