Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

VW's US boss is surprised by American diesel sales figures - Should he be?

This notion that Americans hate diesels needs to die. The sooner, the better. According to the head of Volkswagen American manufacturing Jonathan Browning people in America are 'warming' to diesels. Dear Mr. Browning, have you seen our trucks by any chance? Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all have very popular diesel segments. It's not as much as Americans warming to diesels as Volkswagen finally selling decent diesel vehicles in the USA.

Click here to enlarge

With the efficiency of a diesel motor and fuel prices at what they are it really is no surprise. Diesels should have been making far larger inroads in the United States in the past decade but the best diesel models are still reserved just for Europe. Americans would love to have the V10 TDI Q7 (imagine towing with that!) or the new diesel BMW M cars available for example but executives think we do not want them. If the cars are not even on the market how are we supposed to buy them?

Thankfully VW is trickling in more diesel models across the brand ranges which includes Audi and Porsche. The culture of German auto executives regarding diesels in the USA needs to change. Browning even says he is working on an assumption, “Our going-in assumption, because we were going to have to conquest a lot of customers from competitors, was that those customers would be very wedded to petrol powertrains. Our original forecast was for 17 per cent of Passat sales to be diesels, but in fact it is running closer to 30 per cent. The US consumer is definitely warming to the notion of diesels. It is an important part of who we are in the market place.”

Please stop assuming we hate diesels in the USA. Please?

Source
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really like the TDI. I'll Take any VW/Audi TDI over any Prius anyday. I don't care if diesel is more expensive. It's still better for the environment. Besides you can't aftermarket tune a Pruis!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Diesel versus a Prius? Easy decision.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can go to the plant in Spartanburg and see the X5M diesel being assembled, but can't buy the thing. SMH.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    now that sucks man. Watching it be assembled and not being able to buy because they refuse to sale in said area!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    You can go to the plant in Spartanburg and see the X5M diesel being assembled, but can't buy the thing. SMH.
    Give us a chance to buy the thing. 550gt or 550 diesel m?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Give us a chance to buy the thing. 550gt or 550 diesel m?
    Yes please for both! I like a good Hatchback almost as good as a wagon!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    VWoA bring the damn AMAROK and i will buy it!! ok!!! stop BSing us

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Same problem with Land Rover & MB -- People would jump on the Range Rover & G-Wagon Diesels just because they get easily double the MPG their gas models get.
    2018 Mercedes-Benz E63 S AMG (W213)

Eurocharged Canada Stage 1 ECU, TCU and CPC Tune

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    if you wouldn't want a V10 TDI touareg/whatever... you're a dirty liar

a dirty dirty liar

Q7 V12 TDI?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love the V10 TDI. Such a beast
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I seriously think German brands in general underestimate how huge the US is and how many of us there are living here. We will buy anything you put up for sale as long as you give it a reasonable price and market it properly. I think BMW missed the boat slightly with their 328d, they're still trying to market it as a premium offering when in reality they should have brought a 320d with minimal standard features around $31k. A diesel should be cheaper to buy AND cheaper to run, I shouldn't need to drive it for six years before I start to realize a savings.

I just looked and Audi is making the same mistake and they're STILL selling tons of TDIs. The TDI motor is actually the most expensive option in the Q5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    I seriously think German brands in general underestimate how huge the US is and how many of us there are living here. We will buy anything you put up for sale as long as you give it a reasonable price and market it properly. I think BMW missed the boat slightly with their 328d, they're still trying to market it as a premium offering when in reality they should have brought a 320d with minimal standard features around $31k. A diesel should be cheaper to buy AND cheaper to run, I shouldn't need to drive it for six years before I start to realize a savings.

I just looked and Audi is making the same mistake and they're STILL selling tons of TDIs. The TDI motor is actually the most expensive option in the Q5.
    I think you are completely correct. Diesels sell in Europe due to the value aspect so... why wouldn't that work here exactly?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think you are completely correct. Diesels sell in Europe due to the value aspect so... why wouldn't that work here exactly?
    Main reason is that petrol here is cheaper than diesel, so there is no market incentive for US drivers to go diesel. When I did euro delivery on my 335, it was €100 to fill up, or about $150 at that time. If that were the norm for me, I'd have bought a 320d instead of a 335, no doubt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Main reason is that petrol here is cheaper than diesel, so there is no market incentive for US drivers to go diesel. When I did euro delivery on my 335, it was €100 to fill up, or about $150 at that time. If that were the norm for me, I'd have bought a 320d instead of a 335, no doubt.
    True but with greater efficiency isn't that difference quickly made up and then some?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    True but with greater efficiency isn't that difference quickly made up and then some?
    Depends on how much of a premium the manufacturer attaches to the diesel engine, and how much more efficient it is compared to the equivalent gas model.

Here's a quick breakdown from Edmunds. The number in parenthesis indicates payback time in years for $5/gallon gas.

Diesel-powered vehicles have increased in popularity, but still do not share the same level of success, in terms of sales, as hybrids. As the chart below shows, some diesel cars require a hefty payback period. The negative number means that the diesel vehicle is actually less expensive than the gasoline version.
    Top-Selling Diesels (excludes heavy-duty trucks)
    Volkswagen Jetta TDI: 9.5 years (4.4)
    Volkswagen Passat TDI: 8.2 years (4.1)
    Mercedes-Benz GL350 Bluetec: -0.5 year (-0.4)
    Volkswagen Golf TDI: 20.3 years (9.4)
    Porsche Cayenne Diesel: 4.8 years (3.6)
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...you-money.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Depends on how much of a premium the manufacturer attaches to the diesel engine, and how much more efficient it is compared to the equivalent gas model.

Here's a quick breakdown from Edmunds. The number in parenthesis indicates payback time in years for $5/gallon gas.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...you-money.html
    If priced below the gasoline equivalent in the lineup it seems to make all the sense in the world.