Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    The Lightning was a sohc as well, but if I'm not mistaken the late 90's F150 had a non supercharged sohc also.
    The original Ford lightnings had 351 windsors. Ford small block V8. Similar to the ford 302 but with a raised deck height and longer stroke. The 351W was a popular truck motor, they just stuffed one into an F150 and called it the lightning.

Eventually when ford introduced the modular OHC motors, they put those in the F150 chassis with a blower.

The first cobra was the 1993 cobra, it is the only foxbody cobra and it is very rare. After that, the SN-95 chassis was introduced which began in 1994 and ended in 1998. The 1994 and 1995 cobras still used the 5.0, the 1996 used the new 4.6 modular motor. Every year they increased the rated horsepower by a smidgen.

First it was around 260, then 280, then 305. Eventually Ford put a blower on a 4.6 with Mahle pistons and fordged rods and called that the 2003 cobra. The name will live in infamy, one of the stoutest stock motors ever made. 2004 was the last year of the blown cobra.

Then we all know what happened in 2005.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I would really reconsider before saying the 5.4 DOHC 32V is just a 'truck motor'. There are GT500s making 1000 whp twin turbo.

Respect it, big time, but just a truck motor with Cobra R heads and a blower.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow! Ford really is stepping their game up. The new Mustang just keeps looking better and better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Respect it, big time, but just a truck motor with Cobra R heads and a blower.
    My point Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are Ford GT motors pushing 2000HP and have been for sometime. Laloosh is correct ultimatley the high static C/R of the Coyote will prevent owners from going boost crazy. Even if you replace the pistons and go lower C/R you also now have less meat between bores (ie less sealing area for gaskets under boost, more block flex that rings will have to deal with) since the Coyote has the same bore spacing as a 4.6/5.4 but larger bore.

The 5.4 will always be the insane man's choice for a FI bottom end despite it's grossly undersquare dimensions 3.55x4.165". Remember though B/S ratio has nothing to do with how fast a motor revs, if it can breathe, it will make power.

Ford GT block is an easy 2000HP block, T356 with meat over 1" thick around bores, it's a serious race piece.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyway, Props to Ford, to see MB/AMG move even 1/100th in this direction is simply a dream...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I prefer higher static compression and less boost for a street car. Response will be fantastic and so will overall driveability and torque. Won't need to rev the piss out of it, and won't need 50000 psi boost at 95000 RPM to make power. I was always a fan of large displacement, high compression, low boost, pump gas, low revving street motors.

Diesels are nice too. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I prefer higher static compression and less boost for a street car. Response will be fantastic and so will overall driveability and torque. Won't need to rev the piss out of it, and won't need 50000 psi boost at 95000 RPM to make power. I was always a fan of large displacement, high compression, low boost, pump gas, low revving street motors.

Diesels are nice too. Click here to enlarge
    You're right, these are going to be great street and street/strip blower kits for the Ford faithful. The C/R combined with PD blower should equate to some instant throttle response. FYI though you don't see many 5.4s revving over 7000rpm either--no reason to with FI.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The gt500 motor is derived from the lightning motor but it has much better heads and forged manley rods stock!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    The gt500 motor is derived from the lightning motor but it has much better heads and forged manley rods stock!
    About the only thing those two motors share is displacement and bore spacing.

The 03/04 Cobra was the first to use a traditional 4340 forged Manley H-beam rod though with only a 3/8" rod bolt not 7/16". Ironically the 2000 Cobra R used billet Manley 4340 I beam rods despite being N/A and only spinning to 6500rpm. The Ford GTs used the same style rods found in the 03/04 Cobra (Manley forged H beams) despite spinning higher and being under the added strain of boost.

Ford GTs and later GT500s were the first to use forged 2618 Mahle pistons (good to 1000HP), though the GT500s sintered iron rods are it's rpm downfall.

The block found in the 2011 GT500 is most closely related to that found in the Ford GT, with the majory difference being it's lack of traditional iron cylinder liners and the bottom of it not being setup for a dry sump oiling system, also the addition of a dipstick.

There are also minor differences between the 2000 Cobra R heads and Ford GT/GT500 heads. The intake ports are raised .020" stock for stock (after porting it makes no difference) and the splay of valves/springs is also modified vs the earlier heads. Both use 37/32mm valves vs 37/30mm valves for all other modular motors.

The forged cranks found in the Ford GT are 95% the same as those found in earlier 5.4 motors with forged cranks, they are good for 1400HP/7000rpm. Largest problem they have is lack of a center counterweight vs forged 4.6L cranks which are fully counterweighted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Ford GT block is an easy 2000HP block, T356 with meat over 1" thick around bores, it's a serious race piece.
    The aluminum block is that strong? I'm impressed, but I'm guessing it is sleeved for those numbers?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The aluminum block is that strong? I'm impressed, but I'm guessing it is sleeved for those numbers?
    Yes you are correct I was referring to the Ford GT sleeved (stock) block, not the 2011 GT500 block, sucker is no joke. When it first went on sale solo via Ford Racing it was a $5k piece, people bitched and moaned but find another 2000HP capable Al race block even for a Windsor (at that time, possibly now as well) 302/351 for the same money, you can't.

OEM sleeves can be taken out to .030" over, though most never go more than .020" over.

Even the NVH and non NVH 5.4L iron blocks are 1400HP capable. Ford did a good job with the bottom ends (other than B/S), pre-Coyote the largest problems with the top ends as far as making power goes were lack of a proper intake manifold and terrible port angles--necessitated by overall size constraints.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Yes you are correct I was referring to the Ford GT sleeved (stock) block, not the 2011 GT500 block, sucker is no joke. When it first went on sale solo via Ford Racing it was a $5k piece, people bitched and moaned but find another 2000HP capable Al race block even for a Windsor (at that time, possibly now as well) 302/351 for the same money, you can't.

OEM sleeves can be taken out to .030" over, though most never go more than .020" over.

Even the NVH and non NVH 5.4L iron blocks are 1400HP capable. Ford did a good job with the bottom ends (other than B/S), pre-Coyote the largest problems with the top ends as far as making power goes were lack of a proper intake manifold and terrible port angles--necessitated by overall size constraints.
    Even with less material wouldn't the Coyote with sleeves fair pretty well?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Even with less material wouldn't the Coyote with sleeves fair pretty well?
    To an extent yes, based on what we've seen by boring and resleeving (dry sleeves, forget MID/wet) the limit should be around 16-18psi which is more than enough for most street or street/strip owners, however not enough for boostaholics. Modular 5.0L big bores are 4.6s taken out to 3.70" the Coyote has a 3.6X" bore. We don't run the 5.0L big bores over 15psi.

At those levels the smaller bore and extra meat between bores of the 5.4 or even a 4.6 are welcome and necessary.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dude you should write a book or something.

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dude you should write a book or something.
    LOL. FWIW 03/04 Cobra's used Zollner pistons Click here to enlarge

I started playing around with 4Vs back in '93 when the first Modular 4v came out in the Lincoln Mark VIII, we've done a lot of them since.

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A friend of mine will be picking up the new 5.0, and also getting the 624hp setup. Should be interesting to run him. I will not weep if i still win.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12