Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW changes its mind? All wheel drive M cars on the way with next generation M5 and M6

Earlier this year BMW went on record stating they are committed to rear wheel drive. The head of BMW M, Friedrich Nitschke, stated just back in February that all wheel drive brings too large of a weight penalty with it. BimmerBoost proceeded to call the BS card on his statement as the new M models are already so heavy it does not matter and of course the X5M and X6M already come with all wheel drive drivetrains so the precedent for an all wheel drive M has already been set.

Click here to enlarge

Yes, those are SUV's so what about all wheel drive M cars? Nitschke is now flipping on his earlier statement, "I’ve looked at the numbers and 70 to 80 percent of E63 AMGs are all-wheel drive in the US now. On our cars we are thinking of all-wheel drive, but it won’t come before we get the successor of the M5 and M6. That’s the timing and it’s not practical to react in the current life cycles. It would also be an additional option, not the only available model, because a lot of M buyers prefer rear-wheel drive.”

Ok, interesting, AMG's decision to offer an all wheel drive option seems to be influencing BMW's future decisions. Additionally, BMW is acknowledging the M5/M6 are heavier cars so the all wheel drive weight gain is negligible on those platforms, “The M5 and M6, maybe in the next generation they could get AWD, but not with the M3 or M4. Never. To accelerate out of corners with this rear-end architecture concept is so fantastic that it [all-wheel drive] is not needed.”

This makes complete sense. The M5/M6 have turned into straightline monsters and all wheel drive would help put all the power down. BMW needs to make a philosophy choice here. The M3/M4 will never gain all wheel drive as he states remaining pure drivers cars as an M should be but if they keep cutting weight from the car it is not necessary for more power and torque to constantly be added to compensate for the heft. Perhaps BMW should apply this philosophy which is more inline with M's traditional ideals to the M5/M6 so instead of joining the crowd they can set the standard once again? Just because the M5/M6 are bigger cars does not mean they should not be driver's cars.

Regardless, offering the choice of rear wheel drive or all wheel drive as an option with the M5/M6 is a good idea. BMW M should focus more on cutting weight though as what M has done with the upcoming M3/M4 is the right way for M to go if they intend to improve the driving experience.

Source
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly BMW has become such a marketing joke.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Honestly BMW has become such a marketing joke.
    This is at least better than the previous crap they have stated. They seem to be flip-flopping a lot lately though.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is at least better than the previous crap they have stated. They seem to be flip-flopping a lot lately though.
    Yeah flip flopping is what I'm talking about. Whatever's best for profit they will do no matter what was said previously.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah flip flopping is what I'm talking about. Whatever's best for profit they will do no matter what was said previously.
    They noticed the all wheel drive E63 sales...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    MOTHER F#CK and there goes the ///M brand Click here to enlarge Put these cars on a diet, give them engines that make power up to 9k+ rpm and KEEP RWD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Seems a logical business model.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    MOTHER F#CK and there goes the ///M brand Click here to enlarge Put these cars on a diet, give them engines that make power up to 9k+ rpm and KEEP RWD
    Hold on, they are providing the option supposedly not forcing it on you just like AMG did. That's ok in my book.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hold on, they are providing the option supposedly not forcing it on you just like AMG did. That's ok in my book.
    My bad I didn't read lol I saw awd+///M in the title and assumed more bull$#@!!t
    E46 323i-rip
    e46 325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert- sold
    e90 335i (n54)- current

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    My bad I didn't read lol I saw awd+///M in the title and assumed more bull$#@!!t
    Well read the damn article...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol why wouldn't i own a AWD CLS63 amg! it's just as quick as the M6 grand coupe and has much better launch control! Good for BMW to offer AWD with a true DCT. I think it would make the new M6/M5 a formidable monster on the street. Might not be worth it's salt at the track but for a DD that could possible keep up with the viper GTS and seat 4 comfortably I'll gladly take it.

I wonder what the price increase is going to be if its awd though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AWD with DCT M5. That's going to be badass if you ask me.
    2016 340xi AT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    Lol why wouldn't i own a AWD CLS63 amg! it's just as quick as the M6 grand coupe and has much better launch control! Good for BMW to offer AWD with a true DCT. I think it would make the new M6/M5 a formidable monster on the street. Might not be worth it's salt at the track but for a DD that could possible keep up with the viper GTS and seat 4 comfortably I'll gladly take it.

I wonder what the price increase is going to be if its awd though.
    We're talking like 5 years from now though. They won't add all wheel drive to the current M5/M6 models.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    AWD with DCT M5. That's going to be badass if you ask me.
    3900 pound M5 sounds more badass.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    haha you're dreaming LOL

3900 pound M5 sounds more badass.
    2016 340xi AT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    haha you're dreaming LOL
    I think they're going the right way by lowering the weight of the cars. No reason they can't apply it to the M5/M6.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure they will lower the weight of the next m5/m6...why wouldn't they? I don't expect them to come out and announce it. You need to keep the cat/mouse game going and the competition guessing.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would be surprised if the M4 never gets AWD. The HP levels in performance cars demand it pretty soon. I don't want them to offer AWD unless its the only option. As stated BMW is a marketing joke. I don't expect an optional AWD to perform/handle like top shelf AWD machines (GTR, EVO, STI, etc). Bmw will call it an after thought, slap it on, and then say it was an inferior solution all along. No thank you. You can have light AWD (the weight penalty is lighter as you lighten...) and good handling, they just don't care. Same trend they've been on for a while. If they cared about weight they'd of done something back when the e46 came out. But hey, most of their buyers apparently don't care either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sure it will get one, the M3 M4 5 and 6 (optionally). The only question is when.
    With an AWD option BMW will definitely attract the audi RS3/4/5/6 people and sales can increase. And thats all BMW cares. There is no economical reason bmw shouldnt offer an AWD option for all M models sooner or later. Its just an option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I would be surprised if the M4 never gets AWD. The HP levels in performance cars demand it pretty soon. I don't want them to offer AWD unless its the only option. As stated BMW is a marketing joke. I don't expect an optional AWD to perform/handle like top shelf AWD machines (GTR, EVO, STI, etc). Bmw will call it an after thought, slap it on, and then say it was an inferior solution all along. No thank you. You can have light AWD (the weight penalty is lighter as you lighten...) and good handling, they just don't care. Same trend they've been on for a while. If they cared about weight they'd of done something back when the e46 came out. But hey, most of their buyers apparently don't care either.
    Why do you need to enter the never ending add HP competition when instead you can get more out of the HP you already have with less weight? The new M3/M4 take this philosophy and its the right philosophy to ensure the best driving experience.